Clicking/clanking noise - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Clicking/clanking noise

Went out for a nice cruise since the rain stopped and sun was out. Car is driving fine until I come to a stop sign. I take off as usual, nice and easy going through the gears(30 mph speed limit) and I hear this clicking/clankiing noise coming from the trans/rear. Made it home and jacked it up. Lots of backlash between the wheels and driveshaft. Is this normal?

Went ahead and changed the rear diff fluid just for drill. Car only has 16K miles on it and was original. Put the car down and backed out of the driveway. Nice and quiet. Pulled off and still nice and quiet. Went on the interstate for 4 miles to make a loop. When I came to a stop, it was back and louder. This time you can feel it in the shifter. Sure sounds like it is coming from the rear end. Made it back home and pulled it into the garage and put it up in the air(ramps on front and jack stands in the rear) Fired it up and it was quiet at first but if you are in 4th gear at 1000 and give some gas, you can hear the noise but I can't figure out if its the trans or rear.

Before I start taking off the shields, anybody have a clue what this could be? Almost sounds like the driveshaft is hitting something but it was too hot under there to see anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Rob
07 Sky Redline
75 Cosworth Vega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:50 PM

I can't tell how loud yours might be, so could be something different, but many of us over the years have complained about the "dreaded drive-line clunk". Usually taking off from a stop, when shifting into 1st and 2nd (or back down).

Dealer's response to those who complained was "it's normal". No-one that I know of has had a failure from this, so we all just live with it. If you search the fora, you will find much about this. The only 'cure' seems to be taking apart the rear diff and re-shimming the internals - not for the faint hearted.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

I doubt I have that as this just started out of the blue today. It isn't a one and done sound. It keeps going. I thought it might have been the clutch as when I first heard it, it would go away with the clutch pushed in. But now it'll do it with the clutch in.

Rob
07 Sky Redline
75 Cosworth Vega
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:56 PM

A failing CV joint will click under load, but that doesn't seem to be when you are hearing it, although it would explain the backlash you feel.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Always a possibility but I see no grease or split boots. The gear lash I hear when moving the tire is in the rear end.

I took off the transmission cover and everything is nice and dry. I can only see back to where the torque arm is bolted to the trans. What I find odd is there isn't a trans mount. I've never seen a car without one. Doesn't even look like there is a spot for one. Very strange...

I'll pull the other pans tomorrow after work and see what I can find out, if anything.

Rob
07 Sky Redline
75 Cosworth Vega
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:30 PM

Do you have chrome wheels? Something quick and easy to check, make sure none of the chrome is peeling off on the backside and "clicking" on the brake caliper. I've seen this so many times in the dealership world, it's not even funny.... Otherwise I'll leave the recommendations to the others....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:31 PM

The early cars are famous for a driveline "clunk" that was solved by installing the strut connecting the transmission to the drive axle, eliminating the transmission mount and the front axle mount. Engine, transmission, and drive axle are essentially one solid unit.

You can have a CV joint fail for reasons other than splitting a boot and losing lube and/or gaining contamination. There are also two joints in the propeller shaft.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Do you have chrome wheels? Something quick and easy to check, make sure none of the chrome is peeling off on the backside and "clicking" on the brake caliper. I've seen this so many times in the dealership world, it's not even funny.... Otherwise I'll leave the recommendations to the others....
Yes, I'll have to check that also. Thanks

Rob
07 Sky Redline
75 Cosworth Vega
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:06 PM

How about that rubber driveshaft coupling? If I recall. the bolts are known to loosen up. Or maybe it's dry rotted.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff465 View Post
How about that rubber driveshaft coupling? If I recall. the bolts are known to loosen up. Or maybe it's dry rotted.
Once I pull the rest of the covers off, I'll be able to check that.

There just seems to be a lot of play between the rear and the driveshaft, at least to me.

Rob
07 Sky Redline
75 Cosworth Vega
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

I think it's something in the clutch. I took the car out and it was banging/knocking like a hammer. Either under load or coasting. Pop it in neutral and the sound is gone. Put it back in gear and it's there. Then all of sudden the sound was gone and it was as quiet as it was right before it happened. Parked it for a couple hours and it was back but nowhere near as loud. Got on it and took it up to 6500 in all gears and it was quiet as a mouse again. Haven't taken it back out again to see if it's there or not. Just strange that it started doing it out of nowhere and goes away and comes back.

So does this sound like anything happen to anybody?

Rob
07 Sky Redline
75 Cosworth Vega
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR View Post
UPDATE:

Got on it and took it up to 6500 in all gears and it was quiet as a mouse again.
Sweet! My 06 won't pull 6500 in 5th. Never tried 6500 in reverse.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:21 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
sounds like my ac compressor on my 06. it comes ad go,s. 1 thing to remember nutral dosent disengauge the clutch or take it out of play.pushing in the clutch peddel does disengauge the clutch and stop it when sitting still in gear. if your in nutral and it comes ang go.s it could be the clutch or the trans.if it's in gear,stoped and the clutch is pushed in and it's making noise than I wood say yup probably clutch...or...thrust bearing in the engine...but it sure sounds a lot ,like my ac compressor that is aggravating. you may want to change trans gear lube and have a good look at the old fluid to see if it's got the look of death in it...or a disco ball....
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:23 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
next time it does it make sure the ac is off and the re circulation is also off...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
next time it does it make sure the ac is off and the re circulation is also off...
The AC has been off the entire time. Hasn't been on since the summer. I do plan on changing the trans fluid though, so that is my next step.

Rob
07 Sky Redline
75 Cosworth Vega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode