Code P0106 - MAP sensor problem - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

reaired - followup re. quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpop07 View Post
To all you GXP owners;

Had this code pop up when CEL appeared. Checked with my tester and found it was the MAP (manifold atmospheric pressure) that was not functioning properly. Could be a bad sensor, bad vacuum hose, bad electrical connection. So did some investigating. Pulled the sensor out and observation told me it was possibly because the o-ring seal was dried (but still resilient) and allowed some intermittent leakage.

Background: Applied some silicone grease to the o-ring, reinstalled the sensor and took a ride. The car ran beautifully!! Is it fixed? Time will tell, but for now all is well.

Background: Had some intermittent running problems in the last couple of months that seemed to straighten out, but was temporary. One was the car would idle a bit roughly on startup and then smooth out - drove OK. Secondly the car would indicate no boost, but seemed to have boost. After awhile (car warmed up to normal temp) boost would appear again, especially after shutting it down and restarting - all OK again. Next and most recent indication of boost problem occurred while in cruise on level roadway and the car began to surge and boost would jump to 1, 2,3, or 4lbs boost as well as doing the same thing while holding steady throttle with my lead foot. This just showed up today. Heating and expansion of the o-ring may have been giving the intermittent operation.

So reading about the possible cause the indication was maybe the MAP sensor, etc. You've read my probable fix, which had not been suggested in the write-up I came across.

Have fun with the cars. Maybe this will be helpful to someone else.

grandpop07
Well, folks, it has been several months now since I described my apparent fix for the problem that I at first thought was a map sensor, but was actually the purge solenoid - specifically turned out to be a leak past the O-ring seal. The 'fix' I described has obviously actually fixed the problem (putting silicone grease on the o-ring). The car has never run better! I guess the crux of the story is don't overlook seemingly small stuff. It's possible that some may have changed out parts (i.e. purge solenoid or MAP sensors with new O-rings) that 'fixed' the problem, but may actually have been fixable just by applying some grease to the O-ring.

I hope you are all enjoying your cars this summer!

grandpop07 (82 years young)
raygun and SolCal like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:46 PM

Well Grandpop...after re-reading this....I decided Sunday to pull my MAP sensors. Unfortunately I didn't have any silicon grease. After putting them back in, I noticed that my vibration wasn't as bad as it was... So today, I ordered new o-rings for my MAP sensors. I will report back when I find out if this was truly the issue. I have done research on the Cobalt forum because they have higher mileages on their cars and quite a few replace their MAP o-rings about every 2 to 3 years because they get cracks after being under load so long...I'll report back soon!!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode