Did I blow a gasket?? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 PM

Look's like John and the Ghost were both right. Even though the link did make me chuckle, now that I've heard the joke I'm glad that raygun got us back on topic and for the record, it doesn't sound like a head gasket to me either.
raygun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 AM

Ever watch the solstice girl vids maybe you got this. I've blown my share of motors over the years. If the piston was on the rod always had at least some compression. Holes in piston,rings scraped over never seen one at zero not that it cant happen. Dosnt sound good what ever it is.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:45 AM

Has anyone suggested doing a leak-down test? If so, I missed it. In most cases it will tell you exactly where the problem is.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:03 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Has anyone suggested doing a leak-down test? If so, I missed it. In most cases it will tell you exactly where the problem is.
If you're getting zero compression on a cylinder, I'm not sure a leak-down test is going to help.

Given the compression pattern - 85,0,85,100 - I'm wondering how that compares to the cam profile. I like (ugh) the idea of a slipped chain.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
If you're getting zero compression on a cylinder, I'm not sure a leak-down test is going to help.....
What I have found to be the biggest help from a leak-down test is finding out where the leak actually is.

Since you are blowing a controlled amount of air into the cylinder you can hear where it is escaping.
Sting Ya and raygun like this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
**Edit**
@Z06-GXP's suggestion about the timing chain makes a LOT of sense - much more so than a head gasket. You might start by pulling the timing chain cover and seeing how far off it is (assuming that's the issue). It's *possible* that the chain can jump without actually bringing the valves into contact with the pistons if it didn't skip too many teeth.

If your gasket goes and the engine overheats - which will happen very quickly - the resulting warpage in the head could very easily affect multiple cylinders. The pattern you mentioned indicates that there's a serious breach near cylinder #2. If it's bad enough to actually get ZERO compression, it would have to be a very large break.

Normally, for zero compression, I would suspect a valve (or even a loose spark plug). But, you'd have to have at least four bad valves on different cylinders in this case. And, a stuck valve wouldn't give you 85 or 100 psi. I'd bet a beer that it's the head gasket.

While you're in there, may as well do some ARP head studs.

Regarding tunes on a high mileage engine: I've been running RPM's stage 2 on my 105k mile LNF for awhile now with no issues. 165psi across the board.

Since it's easy, you may as well go ahead and do the oil test. Add a teaspoon or so of oil to each cylinder via the spark plug hole before running the compression test. Also, on the off chance this isn't obvious, compression numbers will be way off if the test is performed on a cold engine, and the gas pedal has to be on the floor when performing the test in order to keep the throttle open. Don't worry about fuel as the ECM recognizes this as a command to open the throttle while not injecting any fuel.

The oil in the cylinder will also give you more accurate numbers when testing a cold engine.
been thinking about a tune for my 07GXP with 66K. But probably just the GM version so I can pass california smog. thoughts?
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:46 AM

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansol View Post
been thinking about a tune for my 07GXP with 66K. But probably just the GM version so I can pass california smog. thoughts?

I'm a more forgiving state (TX), but do they really download your ECM firmware and compare it to the stock image to determine if it passes?

All of the street tunes that are available, as far as I know, will pass emissions.

Or, if you're in an OBD-2-only county (as opposed to places that do dyno emissions tests), it's possible to disable the codes that would prevent the car from passing inspection.

For offroad use only. No statements presented herein shall be interpreted as legal advice or guidance. Do not attempt to bypass emissions equipment as this is against the law in many municipalities.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:49 PM

Ray, I honestly don't know. I am not a mechanic, and where I live (north San Diego county) they no longer use dyno just the OBD device plus a visual inspection. I don't know what they can tell from the OBD, but I don't want to take the chance.

Ray, as far as I know, any changes between the air filter and the cat are prohibited in CA unless it has a CARB-compliant sticker. No bigger, free-er flowing intercooler, no bigger, straighter charge pipes, no CAI, no high flow cat, nothing.

I hope I'm wrong.... If someone who lives in California has done some of these things and passed smog PLEASE let me know!
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:44 PM

Garage
As far as the tune goes: if they're just testing via OBD, then you should be fine. OBD tests look for readiness monitors and trouble codes. If the monitors are ready and there aren't any DTCs (CEL), you should be fine. And, if you have the device (HP Tuners interface), you can always just flash it back to stock before inspection.

The CAI and charge pipes provide zero performance gain. (DDM has publicly said as much.) They sound cool and look neat, and make it less of a pain when removing your intake manifold (again) but that's about it. They're bling. (I have them and like them, but they're not a power adder on a forced induction engine.)

If they can spot a high flow cat, they must be paid more than the techs in Texas. But, it's California, so who knows. It's a great mod that lets the engine rev a bit faster.

There are quite a few owners here that have posted about Cali inspection difficulties, including one guy with a Mallet that had all kinds of problems.

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
As far as the tune goes: if they're just testing via OBD, then you should be fine. OBD tests look for readiness monitors and trouble codes. If the monitors are ready and there aren't any DTCs (CEL), you should be fine. And, if you have the device (HP Tuners interface), you can always just flash it back to stock before inspection.
If you do a re-flash make sure you do it far enough in advance that you have driven a full "cycle". A re-flash would look like a DTC reset and they look for that along with the codes themselves.
Quote:
The CAI and charge pipes provide zero performance gain. (DDM has publicly said as much.) They sound cool and look neat, and make it less of a pain when removing your intake manifold (again) but that's about it. They're bling. (I have them and like them, but they're not a power adder on a forced induction engine.)

If they can spot a high flow cat, they must be paid more than the techs in Texas. But, it's California, so who knows. It's a great mod that lets the engine rev a bit faster.

There are quite a few owners here that have posted about Cali inspection difficulties, including one guy with a Mallet that had all kinds of problems.
What you are saying about aftermarket parts makes perfect sense - anywhere but California. The rule there is that anything emissions related has to be approved, or you can't do it. And, it has to be approved for the model and year of car that you have.
Sting Ya and raygun like this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 PM

Garage
I hear that Oregon is pretty.

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:17 AM

Having owned my GXP that spent it's first 11 years in So Cal, I can tell you what I know from experience. I know there are guys that have modified their cars and are getting away with it, but I don't know how. You are right about "no modifications before the second O2 sensor".

Tunes are a gray area. GM came out with the GMPP tune in 2008 and it is not C.A.R.B. certified for a 2007. I don't know how strictly this is followed but it's a risk for your '07. The OBD test shows the vehicle calibration I.D. which would give away a tune, but I don't know if many shops look at that. The GMPP also has different MAP sensors which could be a give away. The Trifecta tune includes a stock tune along with the performance tune. I personally know a guy who would change it back to stock before test day and that worked for him. Just make sure you have run enough miles that your ECM has run all the tests. EVAP takes the longest.

I've failed inspection because the PCV nipple on the plastic intake tube broke and I fixed it with epoxy. That was a modification so I had to buy a new tube.
Sting Ya likes this.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:34 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Quote:
The CAI and charge pipes provide zero performance gain. (DDM has publicly said as much.) They sound cool and look neat, and make it less of a pain when removing your intake manifold (again) but that's about it. They're bling. (I have them and like them, but they're not a power adder on a forced induction engine
One input on charge tubes. There was a lot of debate about the contribution or lack thereof from charge tubes. One member swore they gave him more HP while others were skeptical. Finally a set of cynosure data was posted that showed interesting results. The stock tubed appear to have a significant impact on high end power. There is a peak in the curve that levels out above 5000 rpm and actually drops hp as you approach redline. When the same car was monitored with after market charge tubes the roll off was gone, at least up to redline. The area under the curve was significant and obvious. So while the after market tubes did not MAKE power, they provided a significant improvement in power production

Mysense is the factory tubes have a negative impact but as a production compromise the negative impact is only seen at full power demand up near redline and for a relatively short time. But of course I HAD to have the better tubes and bought them
raygun likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:32 PM

Wow...the smognazi state of California. I was at several dealerships with my last job, and all 3 had a guy who had cars that were modded to the max. 2 of them were Supras pushing over 800hp, licensed in California, the other was a 300Z pushing over 1000hp, also licensed in the state of California. How did they get away with it? Were they the personal mechanic of the smognazi? Did they give him a little more green? Next door neighbor? Have pics of him and someone else? How????? I know a 4th guy was trying to expain something about military something. Basically the jist was if you had someone in the military, you could license the car in California and not have to have it inspected till they were out....or something like that. I can't remember the loop hole he was telling me about...

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 05-19-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode