Did I blow a gasket?? - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:16 PM

According to the Cal DMV website, ( https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...cts/militaryvr ) there is no military exemption for smog. If the vehicle is registered in California it must meet California smog regulations, regardless of who owns it.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you everyone for your responses! I'm sorry that I asked a question and then went silent. I lost some Solstice "fire" through this one, haven't had the heart to even read the forums lately. I still haven't pulled the head yet, but will soon.

In the event that the engine needs replacing - what's the best call for a engine that runs a tune? LNF, LDK? What generation? Recommendation on where to buy one?

If I got new ARP head studs for a new engine - can they be switched out, one at a time, without changing the head gasket?

Recommend having the automatic transmission rebuilt while it's out?

37k miles on the car.
post #33 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:58 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
The way through this is to start with diagnosing the problems and then make a decision on how to proceed. Its possible that the problem is not catastrophic and you can get the car back to running again fairly quickly. And you have lots of help.

If the existing low mileage block is ok, it may just need head work.

Talk with Dave at Werks who has a lot of experience with performance motors and can give you some good advice.

trust me, I know its frustrating to have a major failure like this happen, and even worse when its the beginning of the season, the new job is freeing you up for cruises . ..

but fear naught! Lets take a look at it and see hat needs to be done.
ChrisBlair, easyryderca and SolCal like this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #34 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:38 PM

Just remind yourself that it didn't take hyper-trained geniuses to build the engine, and they didn't memorize anything, they referred to manuals.

Hang in there, do this in manageable steps.
SolCal likes this.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.
post #35 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
The way through this is to start with diagnosing the problems and then make a decision on how to proceed. Its possible that the problem is not catastrophic and you can get the car back to running again fairly quickly. And you have lots of help.

If the existing low mileage block is ok, it may just need head work.

Talk with Dave at Werks who has a lot of experience with performance motors and can give you some good advice.

trust me, I know its frustrating to have a major failure like this happen, and even worse when its the beginning of the season, the new job is freeing you up for cruises . ..

but fear naught! Lets take a look at it and see hat needs to be done.
Thanks Rob. Ive been pretty discouraged since the whole problem but I'm starting to pull myself out of that funk. I should start pulling the head this weekend.

Ready, Fire, Aim! Thanks for reminding me to slow down!
rob the elder likes this.
post #36 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:23 AM

I tend to look at this as an opportunity. An opportunity to learn. To maybe put in some stronger parts and have more fun.

We have a member who is a retired professional mechanic. He pulled the motor on his 2.4 Sol and installing a turbo kit. He put it back together meticulously and sent us all pictures of the final product. Looked GREAT. He drove it for about a week then due to an installation error it over boosted and destroyed the block, heads etc. He was very upset. As a 35 year pro mechanic you just don't make errors like that . . . .! He put the car up for sale and was THROUGH with it forever!

A couple of weeks later, after no one wanted the basket case, he "found" a new and better motor. He rebuilt it, installed the turbo kit and is now enjoying the car very much.

Stuff happens. The goal is to have "new" stuff happen and not the same old stuff.
raygun likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story
Punisher thread index

post #37 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 AM

So we are all waiting for an update. What did you find?

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story
Punisher thread index

post #38 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:01 PM

Bump!!!!!!!!!

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story
Punisher thread index

post #39 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I finally got the head off today!! Cylinder 2 showed 0psi compression before I tore everything apart and it looks like the edge of the piston in cylinder two is damaged. Additionally the cylinder looks stained from something. The edge of the piston is missing so much material so that I can see the rings beneath it. Attached you'll see pics of the broken piston edge, the nasty cylinder wall, a clean cylinder wall for comparison, and the valves.

To recap -
- 07 GXP w/ 37k miles, Car was stock up to 35k miles and since then its gotten - Trifecta tune, PAW tcm tune, DDM Edelbrock fuel filter, DDM CAI, DDM charge tubes
- While driving down the highway I blew smoke, lost power and threw an engine code so immediately pulled over and had the car towed home.
- I didn't have water mixing with oil
- Compression test showed cylinder 2 to have 0psi, whereas all other cylinders seemed to be low 100-120psi with oil added to the cylinder.
- With the head off i can visually see that the edge of the piston is missing, and the valves are all black compared to the other cylinders valves.

What could have caused this?
Have you ever seen this?
- Cylinder 2 was too lean?
- Could this be from faulty injector?
- Could this be from Trifecta tune being ran at Denver elevation? I never data logged the tune after it was installed like I had the opportunity to - mistake?
- Is it coincidence that this problem happened around 150 miles after I walnut blasted my valves?

I'm going to order a LDK block with LNF head from ZZP with a new turbo and ARP head studs. Should I buy a new injector rail from them?

It sure is tempting to drop in an inexpensive carbed small block Chevy! Unfortunately I think the car is too nice to drop in an old style engine instead of a newer LS motor - and thats something I can't afford now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20190622_153057_LI.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	97689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_152715.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	97691   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_152720.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	97693   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_153256.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	544.2 KB
ID:	97695   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_154153.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	97697  

raygun likes this.
post #40 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oops I forgot to ask, what caused the cylinder staining?
post #41 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:07 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
In the second picture, it looks like there is some debris sitting on top of the piston that is suspiciously walnut-colored.

Is it possible that some of the media made it into the cylinder? I could *maybe* see that causing the issue if it interfered with the piston moving. Say, if it managed to get jammed between the piston and the cylinder wall. (But, I could be seeing stuff that fell in after the head was removed or whatever.) I'd expect that anything that made it past the valves when they were blasted would have been blown out through the exhaust already, though. So, I scratch my head.

Another question: where is the missing piece of the piston? Was it in the cylinder? If it made it past the rings - which would be quite a feat - it could have caused other damage when it made its way into the oil pan, or possibly interfered with the rod. BUT, if you're replacing the whole thing anyway, it's pretty much irrelevant.

Sorry this happened - that really sucks. The LDK should be a fun installation. If you have the budget, I'd go ahead and do an aluminum flywheel while you're at it.

Regarding the injector question: you can use your existing rail and injectors. OR, you could go with the Opel injectors. They flow about 12% more than the stock units. If you're thinking about E85 in the future, that is the first step. (C7 HPFP would be next.) If you're budget constrained, I'd skip the $400 and just re-use yours. (If it's a long block, doesn't it come with the injectors?) And, of course, you'd need to modify your tune slightly if you use different injectors. If you have HP Tuners, I can give you the values for the parameters that need to be changed. It's pretty straightforward.

If you have Trifecta, I'd have no idea how to do that and, since the ECM is locked, HPT won't be an option.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 06-23-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #42 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:54 PM

Man I hate to see that. I feel your pain.

Just a guess, but I feel it is related to cleaning the valves.

As far as the tune, you can load your stock tune back in and then use HPT.

Best of luck to you.

Larry.
post #43 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@Z06-GXP @raygun Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! Yes, the media that you see is in fact walnut, no doubt from my valve cleaning. I'm not certain if this fell in when I was pulling the head off or if its been in there for 150 miles, but there was a little walnut in other cylinders also, as well as water. However, there was no oil mixing with water in the crank, so I think the water dripped in while removing the head - I assumed the walnut did the same? I don't discount the possibility of walnut contributing to the problem but I just can't fathom it?

I have no idea where the missing piston piece went?

e85 sounds awesome. To run the e85 tune would I still need a new hpfp if I had the ZZP cam with upgraded fuel lobe? I feel like it would be irresponsible to buy an engine from ZZP and not let them throw in a new cam while they're at it along with ARP head studs for future proofing. Unfortunately the price seems to be escalating quickly, lol.
post #44 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I sent ZZP an email with pictures of the piston that had damage to it and they said:

"Interesting, that could be improper octane and lots of boost, or improper plugs (OEM only on the LNF). It's really hard to say. Least to say you will deinitely need a new engine.

Our opel injectors will require you to do a change to the computer tune. So I would suggest simply getting new oem ones. As for ARP head studs, you really do not need them, normal head bolts would be perfectly fine for this setup."

Improper octane - I use 91 (highest available in Denver, CO).
- Should 91 octane be fine with a Trifecta tune?

Improper plugs - I used four new AC Delco 41-108 gapped at 0.032 after I cleaned my valves 150 miles ago
- I'm not sure that the plugs are the issue, as far as I know I'm running the correct ones.

I'd hate to install a new engine just to have the same thing happen again.
- Is the tune the issue? @Z06-GXP You mentioned loading the stock tune back in, how does one achieve this
with Trifecta? Would the HP Tuner suite give me more options for data logging than Trifecta? Should I scrap my
Trifecta tune in favor of a HP Tune?
- Should I buy 4 new injector's?
- What would you do??
post #45 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:13 PM

If I were you I would buy an LDK/LHU engine from ATK 1900 dlls (block, head, opel injectors, hpfp, turbo, etc)

The ldk/LHU head fits the kappa platform, the only thing you have to reuse is the oil pan.

If you buy the engine from atk you can sell your injectors, old turbo, head, manifold, etc

Usually when the piston ring land get damage means it was lean or lots knock (uninstall the trifecta tune to be safe and buy hptuners and get a tune from zzp only 150 bucks

If you want to run full e85 on stock turbo you could get away with just the Opel injectors and hpfp or Opel injectors and fuel cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode