Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Engine died, replaced batterythromycin now no crank.

18K views 147 replies 16 participants last post by  JohnWR 
#1 · (Edited)
Engine died, replaced battery, now no crank.

So I was driving and pulled to a stop light and the engine died, restarted and drove for a mile or so again to another stop and the engine died again, this time when it retired it was backfiring and running rough. Pulled over and it died again, when I tried to restart the starter would spin but not engage.

Replaced the battery and everything seems to work, lights gauges, etc but the starter will not spin. Read the codes and see a U0100 lost Coms with ECM/PCM A.

Checked all the fuses under the hood (in the fuse box) and everything having enough to do with the starter and ECM is fine.

When I attempt to start it I get the following, Service ESC / Service Traction and the little ESC warning light is on.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Regards

#66 ·
Alldatadiy.com was pretty dismissive when I informed them of the issue, and refused to respond when I asked if they could contact thier sources, I even offered to provide my vin to help.

#67 ·
and refused to respond when I asked if they could contact thier sources, I even offered to provide my vin to help.
I worked for a company that used OE data, it's impossible for them to, on a whim, "contact their sources". It takes weeks if not months usually to get an answer back for a question. It used to take us over a week to get a response from Ford on part number issues (and we were the part catalog for over 75% of their dealers!!). I'm not saying Aldata hasn't contacted them, if they have, you might not get an answer for a week or two...and they won't let you know anything in the mean time.

#68 ·
Ghost, and that's fine and I understand that, what gets under my skin is attitude. Just say sorry, can't help you as you just very ellaquently put it, that's all. :)

#69 ·
I finally gave up on Saturday, I thank everyone for their help (especially JohnWR, Ghost, Raygun). I figure either I missed something or it's the ECM. I spent Sat / Sun looking for someone that could bench test it.

Dealer wanted
$100+ to check it but he can't bench test if so I'd have to deliver the car to him, ($50 ish to truck it)
$400+ for a new ECM
Probably 1 hr to install it at $100+.
And that's assuming that it is the ECM and they don't spend a lot of time replacing parts until they find it.

So I was looking at maybe $650 or more if I let the dealer do it.

I finally found a company an hour drive from me that rebuilds all sort of auto electrical and electronics. If they can't find or fix the problem it will still be cheaper than the dealer and they suggest I will have it back by the Friday, the dealer wouldn't even look at it until Thursday or Friday.

So, keeping my fingers crossed.

#72 ·
Before giving up on a new ECM, you may want to search alternate part number on the ECM. Its GM #12612397. You will see that this number is the SERV#.

When you search by this part number, you can see lots of choices. GMpartsdirect has it for $223. Rockauto has it for $260. Summit racing is only $184

#73 ·
Those ECMs will have to be taken somewhere, whether a dealer of a well-equipped shop, to be programmed with the vehicle's VIN. That will cost between $50 and $200.

The next step really should be to get a scanner plugged in to it to find out what the problem really is.

#74 ·
I'm told that my ECM is dead and a replacement (remanufactured) will cost me $400 so I am shopping!

#76 ·
It'll also have to be flashed with the correct VIN and OS for the car.

I'd call Performance Autowerks. I'm sure Dave can get you the ECM, flashed, for less than the Summit ECM + programming will cost.

If you have a friend with HP Tuners, they can also flash it for you, with the correct VIN, for the cost of two credits. (Around $100 if memory serves.)

#77 ·
Spoke with Summit and gave them my vin, supposedly install and turn the key (after doing the key thing. Going to be really upset if he lied.

#78 ·
Wow - that's unexpected. Good to know!

#79 ·
Just spoke with Summit again and asked specifically if I did need to have it flashed or not and was assured that as far as he knew it is "Plug and Play" as advertised which he described as "disconnect the battery, take it out of the box and install, reconnect the battery, go thru the key learning step start it and drive away with a big smile on my face".

Going to be mighty upset if I have to get towed to the dealer to get the ECM flashed.

We'll see, it will be here tomorrow or Saturday.

#81 ·
New ECM did not help! Went through the key relearn and a lot more relay closing than before.

Going to check the starter next, shoot myself if that has been the problem all along.

JOHNWR - Tried the relay in both locations.

#83 ·
That is disappointing.

Does that relay click? Have you tried swapping it with one you know is operating? I don't remember you mentioning that.

Also what Raygun asked.

#82 ·
Wow. That's unexpected. :(

Are you still getting the U0100 communications error? Is the security lock light on the dash illuminated?

#84 ·
Upon closer inspection .... when I turn the key to start it sounds like the starter senaloid is moving toward the flywheel but not spinning.

I"ll look closer later.

And by the way, I noticed that when I turned the key on, the odo was displaying the correct milage. Must be stored somewhere else.

#87 · (Edited)
That is concerning. Are the codes in the screenshot all that are present? Do they all come back if you clear them?

Also, wild guess: did Summit ask for your VIN? And did you have the P1682 before the new ECM?

Many cars will crank but not start even with a missing or bad ECM. (It’ll turn over, but won’t get spark or fuel.) I can’t confirm that for the Solstice, though.

There are a few YouTube videos on P1682. The Malibu uses the same engine as the NA. I would expect the same diagnostic method to apply to the GXP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#88 ·
If p1682 is correct...I think your issues are a bit more then a starter. You said the car died.... Did it make any knocking noise first?

#89 · (Edited)
I cleared the codes, waited a few minutes and read them again. See the attached.

Raygun, Summit was given the vin and no, the u0100 code is gone.

Attachments

#91 ·
JohnWR - Key relearn, me. I found the "Pass key III' procedure on line.

Did I miss something else?

#93 ·
The really weird thing is that P1682 should originate in the ECM.

#94 ·
You can do the relearn with HPT, if available.

The 602 is still there. Argh.

The fact that the u0100 is gone supports the theory that the ECM was the underlying issue. Crank relearn won’t keep the car from cranking and starting.

The “ECM not programmed” error seems pretty cut and dry. I’d call and raise a... fuss with Summit to start. Unfortunately, there’s no good way to verify that it’s been flashed without the use of HPT or a Tech 2.

Actually: can you see the temp sensor, MAF, etc. output in your scanner?

#95 ·
P1682 indicates that the two Ignition1 supplies do not match, which goes back to the relays and fuses, particularly the one that is/was out of place.

An ECM power disconnect when the ignition is on can lead to a P0315 if it erases data.

The root cause of this could be in the UFB. There were cases a while back regarding cracked PCBs in the UFB, but I haven't heard any lately.

#96 · (Edited)
:brentil::cuss::sorry:

EDIT: Guess someone should "change" the codes on the forum that are provided....I found this on the list of OBDII codes. Thus the reason I asked the "unrelated" question earlier....

I also have a set of codes that I found on the web from when I first bought my car...guess they used the same source!! LMAO

I'm showing this as the meaning of code P1682 - Metering Oil Pump Malfunction

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.