Engine died, replaced batterythromycin now no crank. - Page 10 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

JohnWR -
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
No, my cars do not have any throttle delay. I depress the pedal and the engine reacts. The RL reacts slightly slower albeit with a lot more authority than the NA, but they both react promptly.
The effect I refer to is a delay that I experience when I want or need to accelerate quickly from either a standstill or rolling along. I see the need to move NOW, hit the gas and wait for the engine to respond or the transmission to downshift.

Ok maybe it's milliseconds but it seems like an eternity, I'm old school ... carburetors, distributors with points, gas pedals with linkage, etc.

Maybe I have misunderstood but I am under the assumption that can be tuned out and maybe that's just the way it is with these cars and I just have to get used to it.

McDoug

2009 Solstice Street Edition W/Spoiler, Automatic, stock with the exception of DDM CAI and Windrestrictor, 38k miles.

Build date 09/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:53 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Engine died, replaced batterythromycin now no crank.

Turbo lag, maybe?

With an automatic, there are a number of software parameters that affect latency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #138 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

NA, Automatic. Wish it was turbo.

McDoug

2009 Solstice Street Edition W/Spoiler, Automatic, stock with the exception of DDM CAI and Windrestrictor, 38k miles.

Build date 09/08
post #139 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDoug View Post
NA, Automatic. Wish it was turbo.
It COULD be...
McDoug and raygun like this.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #140 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
JohnWR -

The effect I refer to is a delay that I experience when I want or need to accelerate quickly from either a standstill or rolling along. I see the need to move NOW, hit the gas and wait for the engine to respond or the transmission to downshift.

Ok maybe it's milliseconds but it seems like an eternity, I'm old school ... carburetors, distributors with points, gas pedals with linkage, etc.

Maybe I have misunderstood but I am under the assumption that can be tuned out and maybe that's just the way it is with these cars and I just have to get used to it.
It could just be the automatic transmission. I haven't driven one, but that sounds like typical torque converter behavior.
McDoug likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #141 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:15 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
on my na there is for sure a delay between the foot and the rpm. a lot. not hesitation, it's a delay in the flutterby opening.and Im pretty sure closing also. probably a "GM" "throttle damper" witch I see could be useful but it should be on open throttle operation only , not upon opening.Just for bumps in the road.
post #142 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

New ECM update.

So we've made it 4 days. The engine has started each time I turn the key and it seems to be running fine and everything still works. Idles as it should and accelerates as it did.

The only thing I have noticed is that at speed (65 - 80 ish) the engine seems to surging a little, it does it when cruse is engaged or not. It's almost indiscernible but I sense it. Not sure if it is still "learning" or something like the throttle body needs cleaning. I don't think it is misfiring, no CEL. I'll give it a few more days and check it with the new scanner.

McDoug

Build date 09/08
post #143 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:18 AM

Congratulations.

A dirty throttle body is most likely to cause a problem at idle, but anything is possible. Giving it a few more drive cycles is probably a good idea.
McDoug likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #144 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
raygun - Yes everything seems good. I only wish I could have taken the tech aside to see if he could have taken care of that damn throttle delay.

Is anyone interested in the old ECM to play with?

Thank you all again.
I will take it! I'd love to disassemble it and see how it ticks and maybe what made it die.

How far are you from Webster, MA?

2007 Solstice GXP
post #145 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser411 View Post
I will take it! I'd love to disassemble it and see how it ticks and maybe what made it die.

Looks like a little over 2 hours, Falmouth.

McDoug

Build date 09/08

Last edited by McDoug; 08-21-2019 at 07:09 AM.
post #146 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser411 View Post

I think you are going to be disappointed when you open it, since it is pretty much a solid mass of electronics and resin.

The problem is almost certainly in the soft- or firmware, and won't be visible to the eye.

Then again, anything is possible and you might get lucky.
raygun likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #147 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I only wish I could have taken the tech aside to see if he could have taken care of that damn throttle delay.
PAW does offer a auto tune, but its advertised for the 2.0 only (even though the 2.4 and 2.0 share the same transmissions).
The WERKSracing Automatic Kappa 2.0T LNF TCM Tune is custom programmed to your specs for a completely new driving experience!!!
Features - Increased line pressure for firmer shifts
Raised shift point rpms
Raised shift point mph
Decreased shift time for faster shifts
Removal of torque management within TCM

I've also been hearing about a product called Sprint Booster on the Kappa FB groups that is suppose to improve the time you press down the pedal to the time the car starts moving. But it could be all BS.

Key Benefits

• Eliminates throttle lag • Sport & Race mode
• Instant acceleration response • 30-Day Money-Back
• Increases performance
McDoug likes this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #148 of 148 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
.........I've also been hearing about a product called Sprint Booster on the Kappa FB groups that is suppose to improve the time you press down the pedal to the time the car starts moving. But it could be all BS.

Key Benefits

Eliminates throttle lag Sport & Race mode
Instant acceleration response 30-Day Money-Back
Increases performance
The Sprint Booster is an amplifier that goes between the throttle pedal position sensor and the ECM to make the ECM think you have pushed the pedal further than you actually have. It does make it feel like you have better performance, because the engine response exceeds what you expect, but actual performance is not improved.
McDoug likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode