I am pleased and beside myself with joy!
The root problem appears to have been the ECM had decided to retire, not sure why. Along the way, I first bought a new battery, checked every ground I could find, checked every fuse that I could find, pulled every connector on the ECM, BCM UHF box (even dismantled the fuse box to look inside) with the exception of the starter motor and ground. But the car is up on jack stands as that was the next thing to check.
I found a local ECM testing and rebuilding business who performed last rights on it and offered to rebuild it for $400. Summit Racing offers new "Plug and Play" ECMs for $186, Hum ... what to do? New ECM arrived from Summit on Saturday but the engine would not start unless I cleared the Crankshaft variation code which kept coming back because that ECM required "Crank position relearning".
So after debating to drag it to the dealer, try to rent or borrow a Tech2 type scanner, or buy something that would perform the relearn function, I decided to buy the ilink400 from Vident at a cost of $170 from Amazon.
Thanks to numerous people on the forum (JohnWR, raygun, Ghost, Porky and a number of other people here) and on facebook for their patience, guidance, and screenshots.
Along the way, I also purchased a subscription to Alldata for a year so maybe I can return the favor by answering questions for someone else.
I can recommend the VIDENT "iLink400 Full Single Make Scan Tool". The owners manual is pretty good, the quality of the tester is good and it can be intuitive to use after fumbling around for an hour or so.
The only videos suck! Ether they are in Chinese with now voice and tough to keep up with. The biggest problem I had was trying to figure out how to set it up and download the software from the web site. Took me a couple of tries.
So there you go that's my little solstice journey through hell. Just goes to show you that if you keep an open mind, listen to the advice offered (not to say that it will all be correct) and stick with it, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.
UPDATE, 3 minutes later. problem is still there. PO602, worked fine for half a dozen restarts. Back to retracing everything I've already looked at.