Engine died, replaced batterythromycin now no crank. - Page 8 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote: still won't rev above 4,000. I read on here that our cars won't go over 4,000 with no load on them. Means to protect the engine from those who over zealous about revving them up!
raygun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Porkey - Humm, interesting.

So I've gone and ordered a Vident iLink 400 scanners. I emailed with the vendor and he insisted that it will perform the Crankshaft relearn process. Supposed to be here Wednesday. I figured it justifiable at $170. Dealer wanted $100+ to just do a scan the first time I called him and that's more than half the purchase price so if it wasn't just the ECM and the Crankshaft position relearn and turns out to be something else it will have paid for itself.

I was considering the VXDIAG VCXNANO-PW160 (software for my computer) but that would mean I would have to drag a laptop out to the car if I needed it, this way I can just keep the scanner in the car.

McDoug

2009 Solstice Street Edition W/Spoiler, Automatic, stock with the exception of DDM CAI and Windrestrictor, 38k miles.

Build date 09/08
post #108 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:29 PM

That is a nice-looking device. Please let us know how well it works.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #109 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:34 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Good call.

The VXDIAG stuff is really, really terrible. It took hours of finagling to get the thing to work. The (pirated) software runs in a weird VM, driver installation requires jumping through flaming hoops, etc. It's a waste of money.

HP Tuners will also do a crank relearn, and you can use it for a bunch of other stuff (like installing a tune).

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #110 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
Good call.

The VXDIAG stuff is really, really terrible. It took hours of finagling to get the thing to work. The (pirated) software runs in a weird VM, driver installation requires jumping through flaming hoops, etc. It's a waste of money.

HP Tuners will also do a crank relearn, and you can use it for a bunch of other stuff (like installing a tune).
Agree.

Agree.

If you aren't going to be tuning the iLink looks to be a much more economical and stand-alone option. I may have to get one just to see how it compares to the Tech2.
raygun likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #111 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:24 PM

Garage
I find it odd that, after swapping engines three times on the blue car, I never had an issue with CAS learn. No DTC, no-start condition or anything else.

Must've been lucky, I guess.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #112 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I find it odd that, after swapping engines three times on the blue car, I never had an issue with CAS learn. No DTC, no-start condition or anything else.

Must've been lucky, I guess.
It is only required for a 2.4, and if I read the manual correctly, only with a new ECM.

John
Lexington, KY
post #113 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:52 PM

Garage
Ok. This was on a 2.4 (turbo), but not a new ECM. But, the name implies it’s being trained for a given engine. Shrug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #114 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Ok. This was on a 2.4 (turbo), but not a new ECM. But, the name implies it’s being trained for a given engine. Shrug.
It does, but I think that the sensors are probably consistent "enough" for good function of the engine. After reading what the manual has to say I think it may be something that isn't as critical as the original designers may have thought. As long as the ECM has been set to something it seems to be happy.
raygun likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #115 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I am pleased and beside myself with joy!

The root problem appears to have been the ECM had decided to retire, not sure why. Along the way, I first bought a new battery, checked every ground I could find, checked every fuse that I could find, pulled every connector on the ECM, BCM UHF box (even dismantled the fuse box to look inside) with the exception of the starter motor and ground. But the car is up on jack stands as that was the next thing to check.

I found a local ECM testing and rebuilding business who performed last rights on it and offered to rebuild it for $400. Summit Racing offers new "Plug and Play" ECMs for $186, Hum ... what to do? New ECM arrived from Summit on Saturday but the engine would not start unless I cleared the Crankshaft variation code which kept coming back because that ECM required "Crank position relearning".

So after debating to drag it to the dealer, try to rent or borrow a Tech2 type scanner, or buy something that would perform the relearn function, I decided to buy the ilink400 from Vident at a cost of $170 from Amazon.

Thanks to numerous people on the forum (JohnWR, raygun, Ghost, Porky and a number of other people here) and on facebook for their patience, guidance, and screenshots.

Along the way, I also purchased a subscription to Alldata for a year so maybe I can return the favor by answering questions for someone else.

I can recommend the VIDENT "iLink400 Full Single Make Scan Tool". The owners manual is pretty good, the quality of the tester is good and it can be intuitive to use after fumbling around for an hour or so.

The only videos suck! Ether they are in Chinese with now voice and tough to keep up with. The biggest problem I had was trying to figure out how to set it up and download the software from the web site. Took me a couple of tries.

So there you go that's my little solstice journey through hell. Just goes to show you that if you keep an open mind, listen to the advice offered (not to say that it will all be correct) and stick with it, even a blind squirrel can find a nut.

UPDATE, 3 minutes later. problem is still there. PO602, worked fine for half a dozen restarts. Back to retracing everything I've already looked at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190814_161338678 (2).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	98845  
ChopTop likes this.

McDoug

2009 Solstice Street Edition W/Spoiler, Automatic, stock with the exception of DDM CAI and Windrestrictor, 38k miles.

Build date 09/08

Last edited by McDoug; 08-14-2019 at 03:30 PM.
post #116 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Scanner says - PO602/ $07E8 Programming error, when I read further I see that the "Exhaust gas sensor heater, bank 1 sensor 2 failed" and heater control circuit counts are 801, exceeded the limit of 800.

McDoug

Build date 09/08
post #117 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 PM

Garage
Well, crap.

So, if I understand correctly:

Car starts and runs fine.
At some point, it refuses to start, and the P0602 presents itself.
Clear the code, and the car starts and runs fine, until it doesn't, at which point P0602 is there. And, at no point when it is starting and running is P0602 present?

Is that correct?

Any other codes accompanying P0602 at the moment?

post #118 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:52 PM

I'm going to play my broken record again and point to Relay 26 PWR/TRN because it not only powers the ECM directly, it also feeds Fuse 33 EXH that powers the O2 sensors.
raygun likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
post #119 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:08 PM

Garage
Engine died, replaced batterythromycin now no crank.

Flakey relays will do funny things. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by raygun; 08-15-2019 at 10:43 AM.
post #120 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

JohnWR - I've looked and switched relays around, I have given up, taking it to the dealer today to have him reflash the ECM, just one minor problem, the speedometer seems to be running about twice as fast as actual and when the speedo hits about 120 the fuel is shut off and engine speed drops to 1000 rpm.

McDoug

Build date 09/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode