Logically, nothing should be wrong- upper turbo hose - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Logically, nothing should be wrong- upper turbo hose

Blew off my upper turbo hose on Wednesday afternoon. Had been driving home, and about 400 yards away from home, I had to stop at a light. I left as normal, but the car was seriously down on power and a loud wwwhhhHHHOOOSH greeted me as I pulled away, coming from the passenger side of the engine. First thought was: turbo clamp. And I was right. No place to stop and I could literally see where I lived. I had little choice so I limped it home at about 20mph.

I popped the hood and the upper hose was loose at the rear connection. Hose was also partly displaced. An 11mm wrench and five minutes solved that. I worried a moment about something being ingested into the turbo, but what was I going to do about it if that happened? Not much.

Started it up and it sounded....odd. I owned an '07 GXP when new. I'm used to the 'normal' sounds these cars make and since by their nature inline fours are not engines that sound sexy or even nice, I always 'tuned out' the noises. I can't describe the odd quality to the sound but it was not a "bad" automotive noise, a thing I am familiar with from decades in the old car hobby wrenching and building engines.

I decided I never really was under the hood when the car was running-ever, including my '07 ten years ago, and I was just not familiar with the sounds. I closed the hood and backed up. I did hear a "bad" sound- a 'guh-danga danga danga' noise of something being unbalanced, loose, and thinly metallic. I cautiously pulled forward. No such noise repeated. I gently drove it a bit. Normal. Drove 20 miles, radio and blower fan off, windows down. No problems. Car reported 16psi boost, and it broke the tires free into third gear- as is normal for an un-tuned GXP at my altitude, in my experience. I called that fixed and had dinner. I drove the car into work today, 22 miles. No issues.

Coming home it rained. The windows were up. I heard two odd things. Both may have always been present, but I had tuned them out since the car was 'normal' previously, and now I am listening intently.

First is a thin high pitched tone at low volume. Not a whine. Very similar to the sound a radio makes when on but the volume is all the way down.

Secondly, a tick. Not the HPFP tick, I am very familiar with that HPFP sound. The tick is equally audible on both sides of the engine bay. My experience tells me this is coming from the head or the block. I do not specifically recall this tick previously, but I am logically sure it was always there and always will be, on all of them, to one degree or another. Inline four, AL head and block. Noisy engine.

The car has normal power according to the boost gauge and butt dyno. The audible tone probably was always there as was the tick.

As far as the 'guh-dangy' noise for a split second goes, I feel that since the turbo is freely , it was out of balance. A little boost and the noise went away.

Logically, no damage occurred and the problem is truly fixed. I see no actual evidence of a problem other than a nagging doubt about what I used to hear, since I never paid attention before. Thoughts?

Also wondering if a MA member in the Norfolk county region might be available so I can compare my engine sounds to his or hers. A cellphone recording is, unfortunately, not a great solution for noises in my experience.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:
2007 Solstice GXP 5 speed 290/340

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 07-12-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:39 AM

A couple of things here:

It is very rare to have the passenger side intercooler host blow off - it usually happens on the driver-side one. I'm guessing the T-bolt clamp must never have been installed correctly and worked it's way loose.

No danger of ingesting anything into the turbo, since this is the OUTput from the turbo and so has positive air pressure.

Assuming you have the stock turbo, they are dual-scroll, but NOT variable vanes, so nothing to be temporarily out of balance.

Apart from those points, I'm not sure what your noises were/are. There should be no tick other than the HPFP. I hope it's not a worn chain guide or similar.

No idea about the whine either. Are you sure it isn't just the radio?

All I can say is Good luck!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

You know what? My mind was calling dual scroll variable vane for some reason. It's weird what you find yourself thinking sometimes, lol

I had to move the T-bolt position on the passenger side. Somebody had installed it so that the thread pointed straight up, which put a dent in the hood which was not a cheap fix at the bodyshop. I checked it twice and it was tight. Somehow it got loose. I guess I'll be checking weekly.

The tick does not seem to be really abnormal. I almost (almost) want to say that on my original '07 I had a similar noise...sometimes. Usually in the morning, and later on in the day it was gone. I had that car for four years at 54K miles. It's one of the things I stopped thinking about since thinking about it was pointless.

The tone is definitely not what I'd call a whine and not the radio unless the radio can make sounds when it's "off". Duplicate of the noises I sometimes hear from electronics when powered on.

Driving and working on a Sly 2008 Solstice GXP 5spd 260/260, and the worst-built 2012 LS3 Camaro 1SS to escape from Oshawa.

Gone but not forgotten:

Stored and needing to part ways with a 1970 Skylark Custom convertible I have owned since 1989 and turned into a GS455 clone. 462 with 7/8 primary headers, adjustable roller rockers, TA Performance Stage 1 aluminum heads, auto, Chevy 12 bolt, 3.31:1. Sadly a project car now but a driver from '89 to '06.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 07-12-2019 at 11:55 AM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
The tone is definitely not what I'd call a whine and not the radio unless the radio can make sounds when it's "off". Duplicate of the noises I sometimes hear from electronics when powered on.
The radio is never actually 'off'. The amps are always on for chimes/turn signals, etc.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Good point that I had not considered. That's probably it.

I always listen very intently after a repair. I'm not Eddie Rickenbacher level, but I can many times ID a problem by sound.

The damnable problem is I have 'switched off' my mechanic's ear for modern cars and so I don't have a frame of reference. A rookie, tactical error for used car ownership...

Gone but not forgotten:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Sound dosnt always run true on on a recording. But you could pull up some you tube vids hear some different sounds. Theres more than a few. This one sounds sic in not like That Michael Jordan is so Phony in a kinda way

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Oh goodness, certainly not. That's got a nice mid-range grind. I'd never be asking if that was "okay" or normal.

The internet is a hard place to describe things. A tick to me is a cement mixer to others.

Gone but not forgotten:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

You know how to make that sound just about go away?

Stop parking next to a concrete wall

Gone but not forgotten:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode