New engine. new problems! - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:37 AM

I'd be checking to see if there's a draw on the battery while the ignition is off.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:24 AM

What voltage are you getting from the UFB lug to chassis ground with the engine running?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:47 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
What voltage are you getting from the UFB lug to chassis ground with the engine running?
Forgive my ignorance, but what's a UFB lug?

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what's a UFB lug?
I shouldn't use obscure abbreviations, or initialisms, or acronyms ....
UFB = Underhood Fuse Block. The lug would be the battery cable lug that is under the flip-open red cover.

John
Lexington, KY
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:48 PM

Garage
Occupational hazard, I imagine. I do the same thing all the time, in a different context.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, RPM Stage 2, Solocatless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
13 volts when engine is off. Right at 12 when running.

2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious/Darkside
2014 Camaro ZL1 6 Speed
2014 Silverado LTZ Z71
2014 Silverado 2500HD
2000 Silverado RCSB Lifted on 35's
2017 Sonic RS
2001 Newmar Mountainaire 4095
1998 Seadoo Challenger 1800
[email protected]
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:25 PM

Garage
That's weird. I'd expect 14+ when running, 12-13 when off.

post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver1 View Post
13 volts when engine is off. Right at 12 when running.
Quote:
That's weird. I'd expect 14+ when running, 12-13 when off.
I don't know how you did the bench test of your generator, but I suspect that it is bad.

Edit: Also check your serpentine belt to be sure it is tensioned properly, and not slipping.

The manual states 12.6 to 15.0 volts at 2500 RPM during a 90 Amp load test, so it should certainly be in that range running normally.

I agree with raygun, and mine (I just checked) reads 14.4 V at idle.

John
Lexington, KY

Last edited by JohnWR; 03-24-2019 at 06:06 PM.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

I had it tested at the parts store bench. everything tested good. After installing it back on the car, I started it up and pulled the neg cable. Dies instantly. Guess I'm off to get a new alternator! Could I have any of the wiring connected wrong? With it running fine with a good battery, I don't think this could be the case.

2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious/Darkside
2014 Camaro ZL1 6 Speed
2014 Silverado LTZ Z71
2014 Silverado 2500HD
2000 Silverado RCSB Lifted on 35's
2017 Sonic RS
2001 Newmar Mountainaire 4095
1998 Seadoo Challenger 1800
[email protected]
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:01 AM

Garage
If your grounds are all good, then it should keep running with the negative cable removed. That's how I've tested alternators in the past, successfully - though I haven't tried it on the Solstice.

I'm going to ramble out some wild-ass guesses:

If it was only putting out 12V when running, then either something is pulling the voltage down (most likely by drawing a ton of current) or the alternator isn't doing its job properly. That could also trigger the battery light (which is really, I think, a charging system light).

As @JohnWR said, a loose alternator belt could cause low alternator output. But, given how simple the tensioners are on this thing, it's pretty difficult for it to have a belt that's *not* tensioned correctly. You said that you used the accessories from your old engine. Did you also use the old tensioner? Is it properly tightened to the block and keeping the belt tight? If the tensioner is bad, you should be able to see some play in it. The belts should be normal "belty tightness." If you reconnect the battery and start the car, can you see significant bounce in the belt or tensioner?

Did you recharge the AC yet? Make sure the AC is off when you're running this. If it was improperly charged and the clutch is engaged, it *may* put too much load on the system. (Again, I'm guessing here.)

If you have a cheap scanner, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE/

And a smartphone app like DashCommand (or Torque for Android people), you can see what the ECM thinks the voltage is, among other things. But, I'd expect that to be the same as what your multimeter is telling you.

Last edited by raygun; 03-25-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:27 AM

Current thought is that you should not disconnect the battery while the engine is running. The battery acts as a buffer that absorbs spikes and other electrical noise that can damage the electronics in the car.

If the voltmeter measured 14V I would be concerned that the car didn't know the correct voltage, but since the measured voltage is consistent with the fault indicator I wouldn't go that route.

John
Lexington, KY
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:47 PM

Garage
Also, this may sound silly, but it's come up before:

Are you sure it's the battery light and not the "low coolant" light?

post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Also, this may sound silly, but it's come up before:

Are you sure it's the battery light and not the "low coolant" light?
Re-read posts 15 and 21. He actually has low measured voltage and charging faults from a tester.

John
Lexington, KY
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:40 PM

Garage
I read, and responded to, those posts. But, OP also said that the car runs fine. Thus, my question.

post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:56 PM

I thought you were maybe like me and had read and answered so many posts that you lost track.

I can understand mistaking the coolant light for the battery light absent any other symptoms, but if the generator actually tests as "not charging" and the voltage is actually measured at 12V running, it seems like there has to be a "real" problem.

John
Lexington, KY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode