Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

New solstice GXP owner, car has been sitting/neglected

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  phil1734 
#1 ·
Hello all and thanks for having me on your forums, I got a sweet deal on an 07 GXP with 122k miles. It is in rough shape body wise and a few things I am slightly concerned with mechanically. I am looking for suggestions on how to get it back into proper shape. I do plan on autocrossing with it.

Here are my goals right now:
-New battery (Totally dead)
-Oil change
-Coolant change
-Transmission fluid change
-Differential fluid change
-Spark plugs
-Air filter
-Replace cam actuators (Throwing p0013)
-MAYBE brakes (maybe a big brake upgrade)

Here are my long term plans:
-RPM stage 3 kit (Hiflow cat, charge tube, upgraded k04, tune)
-RPM intercooler
-3Bar map sensor
-Big Brake kit
-Braces/sway bars

Here are my questions:
-Best manual transmission oil/fluid?
-Best differential oil/fluid?
-What spark plugs should I get if I am going to tune it?
-What could be causing a rhythmic vibration of the whole car (fine for a second, then shaking for a second, repeats indefinitely)? Idle is not rough.
-I hear a rattling ish sound that I have never heard anything similar before, I will have to take a video of it, but do the tensioners/pulleys sound different when they go bad/rust as opposed to most other cars? It kinda sounds like it is coming from the belt system.
-What else should I be looking out for in a car that has literally sat for a year without driving/cranking?

See less See more
#3 ·
Just use the fluids you can purchase from a GM dealer as seen on your owners manual.
Use the same Delco plugs listed on your manual.

Reactions: sirwm
#4 ·
Welcome to the forum... don't forget new belts and hoses.

#9 ·
The stock brakes are very adequately sized on these cars, unless you have money to spend for the sake of upgrades, just upgrade to a better pad (I run EBC yellow) and change/keep an eye on fluid level as it will slosh out of the stock reservoir over time. It's not bad enough that it's a huge concern in AutoX, but if you ever end up on track you'll want to install the extended reservoir or just make a custom one.

If you do Facebook, look up the KappaCross group. There's a lot of frivolous photo sharing, but also some decent conversation among those of us that enjoy hitting cones at speed with our "guaranteed future collectible" cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.