Serpentine belt change procedure/ how to? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Serpentine belt change procedure/ how to?

Has any body here changed their own belts on their Solstice? We have a 2007 Solstice GXP with just over 122K miles. There are two belts, but I can't see a way to get my gorilla arms in there to remove or install the belts. Any tips? Easier from under the car? Or should I just take it to the dealer?
Thanks in advance!
-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 01:43 PM

There are two belts a smaller thinner one for the power steering I found the best way to get at it is from underneath there is a belt tensioner that applies constant pressure on the belt so you will need a special tool (about 25 bucks ) to loosen the belt by removing the pressure on it . The drive belt has the same set up (it's the larger of the two) and also has a tensioner you can get at this one from the top if you remove the upper radiator hose it makes it a little easer to get at it . Take a picture or draw up a schematic so you know how the belts are run as there is nothing on the car that gives you that info like some other cars .I forgot to mention that my car is an NA without the factory air box set up and I also have a Venom Brace which I removed .Thanks to Dave for the added info .

Last edited by Sting Ya; 08-01-2014 at 09:41 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeels01 View Post
Has any body here changed their own belts on their Solstice? We have a 2007 Solstice GXP with just over 122K miles. There are two belts, but I can't see a way to get my gorilla arms in there to remove or install the belts. Any tips? Easier from under the car? Or should I just take it to the dealer?
Thanks in advance!
-John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeels01 View Post
Thanks in advance!
-John
We typically always install the smaller 3 rib power steering belt from under the car. Make sure to have the car up on Jackstands, then place the belt over the crank, then the power steering pump and you can slide the belt up and over the tensioner without using any tools. The tensioner for the power steering pump is not that stiff and you can easily pull it down without that much effort.

The 5 rib belt that goes to the A/C and Alternator has a lot more tension on it. It is easier to remove from the top of the engine, but also can be done from underneath. Either way you will not have a clear shot to it. The tensioner for the 5 rib belt is on the front of the engine and has a square hole that a 3/8" ratchet wrench will go into. Then use that as a lever to release the tension on the belt. You will need to slide the belt from under the tensioner first, then release the pressure on the tensioner with the belt out of the way. From there take the belt off of the alternator and the A/C compressor and then the crank last. It will be a little tight getting the belt out between the crank and the tensioner and you might need to give a little pressure on the tensioner again with the ratchet to get it to come out. The 2.4L cars are easier to get in there to do, the 2.0L turbo cars are tighter to get to. If you have the stock plastic on top of the engine you will definitely need to take it off. Also removing the intake and the upper radiator hose does make it easier to do, however with the problems that some of the 2.0L will have after breaking the cooling system open, we generally will just work around removing the upper radiator hose.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]

2.4L - Stage 3 Supercharged - 305whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Rotrex Supercharged - 340whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Custom Turbo - 304whp - 93 octane
2.0L - 2871 Hybrid turbo - 371whp - 93 octane
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Anyone have the numbers for these two belts?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Do you have an NA or GXP ? The belts are available at any good auto parts store and different brands have different part #'s which they cross reference just spend the money and get the best belt available
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:45 PM

I would highly recommend going OEM, these belts are tough..last a very long time..

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties
Barack Obama
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
I would highly recommend going OEM, these belts are tough..last a very long time..
OEM belts are made by Dayco and are available at Advance Auto
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Ya View Post
OEM belts are made by Dayco and are available at Advance Auto
Question then becomes are the ones sold at Advance Auto the OEM belts in a different package OR the real thing?? As you know, one company makes a lot of the oil filters for different makes, however some makes require a little tweak here and there that makes their filters superior to the run of the mill brand.. Only way to be sure is by doing a side by side with the belts, even though as you probably correctly claim, are made by the same manufacturer....IMHO.. BTW, are you sure they are not made by AC Delco??

Anybody have the OEM part numbers for the 2.4L engine for both belts??
Okay, for the Alt/A/C the long one I found 12634321
For the power steering I found 12585310

They are both relatively "cheap" IYW...

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 08-02-2014 at 08:25 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to get the car up in the air & check it out!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 10:22 AM

BTW, are you sure they are not made by AC Delco ?

Same belts I compared them when I removed them and the GM belt had "Made by Delco / made in America printed on the belt this is their Poly Rib /Quiet Design # 5050405. .Now this is the better belt 22 bucks and as with anything they always make cheaper parts .Whenever I buy something for my cars I always buy the best available .
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Supporting Vendor

We usually use the Dayco belts from Advance, but never the Driveright belts, the driveright belts are horrible. The Dayco belts are really good belts though and is the same brand that we ship with our supercharger kits.

Also, not sure if anyone has posted up the way to decode belts before, but here is a quick decoder -

For the main A/C / Alternator belt - 5050405

"50" - is the belt durometer
"5" is the number of ribs
"0405" is the length in inches, with the last number being a fraction of an inch, so this belt is 40.5" long

So for the P/S belt - 5030310

It is a 50 durometer belt, with 3 ribs and is 31" long

You will see some belts listed as a K030310 (mainly gates belts that we have seen), which just takes the durometer off and still works the same way for ribs and length.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
[email protected]

2.4L - Stage 3 Supercharged - 305whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Rotrex Supercharged - 340whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Custom Turbo - 304whp - 93 octane
2.0L - 2871 Hybrid turbo - 371whp - 93 octane
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We usually use the Dayco belts from Advance, but never the Driveright belts, the driveright belts are horrible. The Dayco belts are really good belts though and is the same brand that we ship with our supercharger kits.

Also, not sure if anyone has posted up the way to decode belts before, but here is a quick decoder -

For the main A/C / Alternator belt - 5050405

"50" - is the belt durometer
"5" is the number of ribs
"0405" is the length in inches, with the last number being a fraction of an inch, so this belt is 40.5" long

So for the P/S belt - 5030310

It is a 50 durometer belt, with 3 ribs and is 31" long

You will see some belts listed as a K030310 (mainly gates belts that we have seen), which just takes the durometer off and still works the same way for ribs and length.

Hope that helps,
Dave

That is great information to know!
I bought Dayco belts from Advanced Auto for the Solstice. I went to AutoZone to get a belt for my stepdaughter's Malibu, and they had Dayco belts there too.
I got the belts changed in the Solstice, no problems. Thanks for the tips!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 08:14 AM

I went ahead and had my dealer replace both belts yesterday when they replaced the A/C compressor..

Abraham Lincoln

Barack Obama
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
tensioner for the 5 rib belt is on the front of the engine and has a square hole that a 3/8" ratchet wrench will go into. Then use that as a lever to release the tension on the belt. You will need to slide the belt from under the tensioner first, then release the pressure on the tensioner with the belt out of the way.
You are stronger than me! I could barely budge the tensioner using the square hole. But, thos gave me the idea to put a large Allen wrench in the hole for the pulley bolt. That provided a lot more leverage and made it fairly easy.

2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
You are stronger than me! I could barely budge the tensioner using the square hole. But, thos gave me the idea to put a large Allen wrench in the hole for the pulley bolt. That provided a lot more leverage and made it fairly easy.
That's odd, I have been able to do mine that way without any problem.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode