Solo HFC and Mach Installation Problem - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Saveaux
  • 1 Post By lucasnj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Solo HFC and Mach Installation Problem

I'm installing these parts, but I don't see how the cat attaches to the front pipe. The exhaust came with two studs and two nuts. The cat's lower flange isn't tapped to receive studs. Am I missing some hardware? Picture for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190312_201828_1552442157858.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	512.8 KB
ID:	94161  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:00 PM

Garage
From Solo's website:

ShopConnectCatalogDealers
Catalog
› View online
› Dealer/warehouse
catalog
Dealer Shops
› Dealers in Canada
› Dealers in USA
› Dealers Overseas
Shopping Cart
0 products in cart

› View cart
› Checkout
Connect With Us
› Facebook
› YouTube
MENU
Installation Guide: GXP/Redline Catalytic Converter
Always exercise caution when working on, under or around any vehicles. Serious injury or death could occur if safety measures are not followed.
Warnings and Safety Measures
• Allow the vehicle’s exhaust system to cool before removal. Exhaust system temperatures may cause severe burns.
• If working without a lift, always consult vehicle manual for correct lifting specifications.
• Always wear safety glasses and ensure safe work area.
• Catalytic converter are to be used for off road use only.
• Professional installation is recommended.

Some Catalytic Converter Installation Tips
✓ It is very important to have your car cool down completely before taking apart the 4 top nuts that bolt the cat to the car. The studs are stainless steel and you’ll want to be careful in order to avoid breaking them by accident. The studs usually break flush or inset and it’s very time consuming to repair once this happens.

Here are a few tips that may help:
• Let the car cool down completely.
• Spray small amounts of penetrating fluid on the nuts/studs.
• Don’t force the nuts off. If they bind, work it back and forth.

✓ Just because you have them off, the battle is still not won. You could break the stud when you tighten down the new cat.

Again, here are some tips that might help:
• Make sure the nut is not cross threaded.
• If it binds while going in and if it’s not cross threaded, apply a small dab of grease or penetrating fluid to the stud in order to help the nut go in.
• Tighten evenly and do not over tighten.

✓ GM’s bolt pattern is irregular and therefore the upper gasket will only fit properly one way.

✓ There is an O2 extender included with your cat. This O2 extender is to be placed in the front pipe at the O2 port. The oxygen sensor is threaded into this extender. This takes the O2 sensor out of the direct stream of the exhaust system.

✓ Professional installation is recommended. If you’re installing this alone and if you start having trouble, please call 905-703-1557 or 905-897-6833.

Don’t wait until you’re in a lot of trouble. Call early and possibly save yourself some big frustrations.

Top Gasket 4 Holes to the Turbo
✓ The edges are extremely sharp. Please be careful.

✓ There is an inner ring to this gasket for a better seal.

✓ Tighten to 40-43 foot pounds of torque.

✓ Because of the inner ring, there appears to be a small gap between the Turbo and the cat flange. This is proper and normal.

Installing Your New Catalytic Converter
1. Take off cat heat shield – 10ml bolts x 3.

2. Take out O2 sensor that goes into body of cat. 7/8 or 22ml wrench.

3. Undo the 4 bolts that hold the cat to the back of the turbo. 15ml x 4.

4. Take off two bolts from pipe flange to cat – 15ml x 2.

5. Make sure the exhaust system is supported.

6. Take off two bolts from bottom cat flange to hanger bracket – 13ml x 2.

7. To get more removal room for the cat, take off bottom hanger bracket – 13ml x 2.

8. Cat is now loose but it can’t come out yet.

9. Remove 15ml bolt from the passenger side, bottom motor mount.

10. Lift the engine (tilt the engine) up 1 to 1 ½ inches. This gives you enough room to rotate and manipulate the cat out from the bottom.

11. Reverse process to install your new catalytic converter.

12. Make sure the turbo flange is clean from any debris.

13. Re-install the hanger bracket. Install the bolts from the cat to the hanger bracket. Leave all these bolts loose.

14. Evenly tighten the top bolts from the cat to the Turbo.

15. Install the O2 sensor into the cat.

16. Tighten the hanger bracket.

17. Relocate the O2 sensor bung if you have a 3″ front pipe. (See Relocation Instructions)

18. Tighten the cat to front pipe connection making sure your exhaust tips are properly aligned.

Thanks
rob the elder and Rphillips66 like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:50 AM

Garage
Either Solo or DDM have a video on their site for installation of the cat, normally the hardest part. Unless everything is frozen up. Go slow and easy. Penetrating oil is your friend .
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:48 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
It's Solo, and there are three videos. I recommend watching all of them. (They're around 1m30s each - it won't take up much of your day.)

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Note that they removed the passenger (RH) side motor mount and raised the engine to get some more room. You've already removed the cat, so I assume you did that or are far cooler than I am, as I was unable to do it without raising the engine. Shrug.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:38 PM

Garage
i managed to do it without raising the engine. once you get that twist down it will come out and go back up without touching a thing. the new cat must be slightly different because i had a tough time getting the bolts to line up once it was up in position. a little swearing helped and a half hour later i was firing it up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrofreek View Post
i managed to do it without raising the engine. once you get that twist down it will come out and go back up without touching a thing. the new cat must be slightly different because i had a tough time getting the bolts to line up once it was up in position. a little swearing helped and a half hour later i was firing it up.
Like you I managed to get mine out without touching the motor mounts. It took awhile to learn the twist, but it can be done!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

The issue ended up being that Solo didn't include the required hardware for attaching the cat to the front pipe. I got some hardware from Fastenal to complete the install.
rob the elder likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 AM

Maybe someone here can help with my problem so I don't have to start a new thread

I just installed the HFC, didn't change anything else.

Fired the car up, started smooth, drove it around for a while, drove nice, then took it back home.

Later that evening after the turbo area cooled down, I went back to install the extender for the O2 sensor. Fired the car up and oh my god it runs like ****. It lurches and chugs like an old carborated engine for the first 40 seconds or so while the engine is warming up. The whole body of the car shakes and it feels like the engine is twisting. Then eventually, the RPMs jump to about 1500 and it smooths out, slowly lowering over time to a regular idle.

No codes get set immediately

I take it for a drive. It feels like the O2 sensor is shot. Inconsistent acceleration, surging at steady speeds (rpms sometime dropping by 500, or about 25%) before coming back up. Just all around bad performance, too many times where my stomach dropped because I thought it was gonna throw me into limp mode. Eventually I get a code - P0133, Bank1 O2 sensor response slow

The o2 sensor is old, so I order a brand new one. I was thinking I might have broken a wire in the old sensor putting it on since with the extender the butt of the plug sits right up against the firewall and I can barely fit it in. So I carefully install the new one, clear the codes and start the car.

Same problem. Car feels like it's trying to twist itself into a pretzel when it starts, but the surging on the highway isn't AS bad, only dropping between 20 and 100 rpms.

Frustrated, I take the extender off. Put the o2 sensor back on, and... It runs fine again. But of course without the extender I get the code for the cat.

Anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanepaul View Post
Maybe someone here can help with my problem so I don't have to start a new thread

I just installed the HFC, didn't change anything else.

Fired the car up, started smooth, drove it around for a while, drove nice, then took it back home.

Later that evening after the turbo area cooled down, I went back to install the extender for the O2 sensor. Fired the car up and oh my god it runs like ****. It lurches and chugs like an old carborated engine for the first 40 seconds or so while the engine is warming up. The whole body of the car shakes and it feels like the engine is twisting. Then eventually, the RPMs jump to about 1500 and it smooths out, slowly lowering over time to a regular idle.

No codes get set immediately

I take it for a drive. It feels like the O2 sensor is shot. Inconsistent acceleration, surging at steady speeds (rpms sometime dropping by 500, or about 25%) before coming back up. Just all around bad performance, too many times where my stomach dropped because I thought it was gonna throw me into limp mode. Eventually I get a code - P0133, Bank1 O2 sensor response slow

The o2 sensor is old, so I order a brand new one. I was thinking I might have broken a wire in the old sensor putting it on since with the extender the butt of the plug sits right up against the firewall and I can barely fit it in. So I carefully install the new one, clear the codes and start the car.

Same problem. Car feels like it's trying to twist itself into a pretzel when it starts, but the surging on the highway isn't AS bad, only dropping between 20 and 100 rpms.

Frustrated, I take the extender off. Put the o2 sensor back on, and... It runs fine again. But of course without the extender I get the code for the cat.

Anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong?
Should start a new thread have to read more replys to get down to you. But are you disconnecting the battery each time
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Should start a new thread have to read more replys to get down to you. But are you disconnecting the battery each time[/QUOTE]

No I didn't disconnect the battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode