UGGHH, introduced air into the cooling system - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

UGGHH, introduced air into the cooling system

Hello all,

So my low coolant light came on yesterday and I filled it and now my car is overheating. I am currently stuck at work (I limped it here).

I have a set of sockets and pliers and other tools as well. As well as a decently steep hill I can park on. Now that I have ****ed up and introduced air, what is the best way for me to correct this without getting towed to a shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:10 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
UGGHH, introduced air into the cooling system

GXP or NA?

I’d be hesitant to try this on the side of the road. If you had an air compressor and a vacuum bleeder tool like an AirLift, it’s easy to bleed the system. But, you may try the DDM method.

Basically, you disconnect the coolant line that goes into the head. Front of the engine, top drivers side of the head, connection points up and down. It’s a fairly small hose.

With that disconnected, remove the 10mm bolt below the reservoir that holds it to the bracket and disconnect the coolant level sensor that plugs into the reservoir. Fill the reservoir, the lift it up so that the coolant level is higher than the top of the engine. Coolant will (quickly) start leaking or gushing out of the head where you disconnected the hose.

Put the hose back on, lower the reservoir, reattach everything and run it for a bit, keeping an eye or temp and coolant level. When reattaching everything, try to keep the reservoir as high as possible until the hose is reattached. If the reservoir isn't the highest point in the coolant circuit, it'll suck air in. (Hooray, physics.) This is just an overly-wordy way of saying that water runs downhill.

This can be aided by squeezing the radiator hose with your hand a lot, or so it has been said. Obviously, don’t get your hand caught up in the belts or fan.

It helps if you have the heater on full blast while doing these things.

I had limited success with this method, but it’s probably the easiest thing to try without access to a shop.

Note: if you have a GXP, there is a TSB regarding coolant filling. There are a pair of check valves that need to be inserted in the coolant hoses. Available from GM, but I had to order mine as no one had them in stock.

Here’s the video on the DDM method:

https://youtu.be/YF5Ka4oeCxA

Hopefully goes without saying, but never open the reservoir when the engine is hot. It is under pressure and will spew ~5-10 feet in the air and give you severe burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar

Last edited by raygun; 08-16-2019 at 12:33 PM.
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

It's a GXP, does that DDM method still work on a GXP?

Thank you very much for the video btw.

Here's how I have it right now, I'll pull the hose off the top here in a bit.

EDIT: Will this work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072Q3WWNG...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_102340_HDR.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	98857  

Last edited by laser411; 08-16-2019 at 08:47 AM.
post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:47 AM

After reading report after report about trouble refilling the coolant system on the 2.0 Kappas, I just bought the tool to do it right. No problems.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...d-tool-158643/
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:51 AM

Garage
That should work. Many O'Reilly autoparts stores will also "loan" you a similar tool. Basically, you buy it and get a full refund when you return it.

The DDM Video is for a GXP.

Good job with the string.

I'll reiterate that many people have had good results with this method. It didn't entirely work for me, but apparently you *may* have to do it a few times.

Good luck!

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Playing out of order forum tag. Thank you SOOO much for the info guys, I just might make it home

Last edited by laser411; 08-16-2019 at 09:02 AM.
post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
Good luck!

When you button it up, Id recommend just driving it around the block a few times in case it stays overheating again.

post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

So now there's some weird stuff going on, can someone tell me if this is normal? https://youtu.be/_qdx_vP1d_A

This is after doing the hose thing and after revving it to 2500 for about 3 min. Is that the check valve in action? It's what I imagine they would sound like.
post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:52 AM

Garage
I have the valves but haven't noticed that noise. Hmmm...

Where is the noise coming from? Did you put all of the clamps back on?

Is the temp stable or still overheating?

post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

It was sitting at 205 and didn't seem to go any higher but I let off to keep from puking more coolant as I tried to fill it above both hoses. Clamps are back on and I cannot tell where that noise is fully coming from. It's very rhythmic and pretty predictable. Where are the valves? Do you have a picture?

Also, I want to be fully clear and say that the system was opened while warm/hot (after sitting for 5 min) and, in hindsight, it was obvious that it sucked air in.

2007 Solstice GXP

Last edited by laser411; 08-16-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #11 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
One of the valves is in that hose going into the head. The other is in the small hose going into the radiator. They resemble welding jets.

TomatoSoup likes this.

post #12 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:25 AM

Garage
Here's a link to the TSB from GM for the check valves. It has pictures showing where they go.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...heckvalves.pdf

post #13 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser411 View Post
It was sitting at 205 and didn't seem to go any higher but I let off to keep from puking more coolant as I tried to fill it above both hoses. Clamps are back on and I cannot tell where that noise is fully coming from. It's very rhythmic and pretty predictable. Where are the valves? Do you have a picture?

Also, I want to be fully clear and say that the system was opened while warm/hot (after sitting for 5 min) and, in hindsight, it was obvious that it sucked air in.
The coolant level is WAY too high in that video. The level should be at, or just above, the molding join half way up the container.

The sound seems to be coming from the return hose bubbling steam through the coolant.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #14 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Shouldn't the pressure just puke out the excess and then pull a vacuum?

Should there be steam bubbles?

I just ran the car for about 6 minutes at 2500rpm and then idle for 3 minutes and it kinda sat at about 220 degrees in 85-90 degree weather (in the sun). What is the normal?

Does it make a difference that my blower is not currently functional? will that prevent the heater core valve from opening?

Last edited by laser411; 08-16-2019 at 12:22 PM.
post #15 of 139 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser411 View Post
Shouldn't the pressure just puke out the excess and then pull a vacuum?

Should there be steam bubbles?

I just ran the car for about 6 minutes at 2500rpm and then idle for 3 minutes and it kinda sat at about 220 degrees in 85-90 degree weather (in the sun). What is the normal?

Does it make a difference that my blower is not currently functional? will that prevent the heater core valve from opening?
220 is a bit high. Mine idles a little under 200 in our wonderful Dallas weather. 220 won't destroy your engine, but it may get hotter when you start driving around and put load on the engine. (But, it might not!)

Even if the blower isn't working - btw, that's a common problem with an easy fix that costs about $30 and takes half an hour - having the HVAC controls set to full heat and fan on should do the trick.

I suspect that the bubbles and gurgling you're seeing are due to more air pockets, but that is just a guess. If it's running well enough to get it home, do so. Get a vacuum tool and bleed the system that way as it's pretty fool-proof. If you don't want to burn $100 on a tool you'll likely use twice, ever, just go borrow one from O'Reilly. Note that I also had to put a vacuum cap on the overflow outlet on the reservoir to pull a vacuum. They're about $5 for a set at the parts store. You could also just jam a bolt into the overflow hose and put a worm clamp on it.

One step that was missing from my earlier explanation: after bleeding the system and starting the car, you must ensure that the coolant reservoir doesn't become empty. When the thermostat opens up - around 195, the engine will suck a lot more coolant into the circuit.

These problems are typically an indication that you have a water pump that's on its last legs. How many miles are on the car?

Last edited by raygun; 08-16-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode