UGGHH, introduced air into the cooling system - Page 7 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:23 AM

Those are carbon bits you have on your cam solenoids. I had the same thing...but mine was twice as bad because I let my car idle all winter every 2 weeks to keep the battery charged.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

No leaks anymore, but still overheating w/ no inside heat. I used the vacuum filler but I can absolutely tell there is still air trapped. This is so aggravating.

2007 Solstice GXP
post #93 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Those are carbon bits you have on your cam solenoids. I had the same thing...but mine was twice as bad because I let my car idle all winter every 2 weeks to keep the battery charged.
Most of it was definitely metal, it was shiny and hard.

2007 Solstice GXP
post #94 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser411 View Post
No leaks anymore, but still overheating w/ no inside heat. I used the vacuum filler but I can absolutely tell there is still air trapped. This is so aggravating.
sometimes it's just a matter of patience. I have in some instances had to let the car heat up, cool down, milk the radiator hoses, heat up again and repeat the process several times to finally get the air out. Check the reservoir level each time. If it begins to drop, the air is coming out. Don't let the reservoir get empty or you will suck the air right back into the system.

Bill
post #95 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 08:18 PM

Garage
Remove the thermostat housing. Remove thermostat. Drill a hole ot two through the outer ring of the thermostat. Reinstall. Fill with water and be done with it.
joybill44 likes this.
post #96 of 136 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:18 PM

A number of members have mentioned the check valve additions and TSB; have you confirmed using them yet @laser411? I'd add them if I was going to work on the GXP cooling system myself. I don't do that but I had them put in at the dealer as per the TSB. I hope this gets figured out soon for you.
post #97 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
A number of members have mentioned the check valve additions and TSB; have you confirmed using them yet @laser411? I'd add them if I was going to work on the GXP cooling system myself. I don't do that but I had them put in at the dealer as per the TSB. I hope this gets figured out soon for you.
I have not, yet, as i thought the vac and fill would work. I did order them yesterday.

2007 Solstice GXP
post #98 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:04 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Quote:
...i thought the vac and fill would work.
One would think. But, alas, such is not always the case. The check valves are very easy to install (just don't put them in facing the wrong direction!). I assume the system holds a vacuum?

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #99 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
Quote:
...i thought the vac and fill would work.
One would think. But, alas, such is not always the case. The check valves are very easy to install (just don't put them in facing the wrong direction!). I assume the system holds a vacuum?
Yes, flattens the hoses and doesn't leake vacuum.

Doesn't seem to leak wgile hot either, though I definitely have less coolant than after the vac and fill. There's for sure, no coolant in the oil and there's no smoke coming out of the exhaust at all. So maybe it's burping itself but shouldn't the vac also pull pressure on the thermostat side as well?

2007 Solstice GXP
post #100 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to pull the sprocket cover again, I think there may be something wrong and the water pump isn't turning.

2007 Solstice GXP
post #101 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Doesn't seem to leak wgile hot either, though I definitely have less coolant than after the vac and fill. There's for sure, no coolant in the oil and there's no smoke coming out of the exhaust at all. So maybe it's burping itself but shouldn't the vac also pull pressure on the thermostat side as well?
Not necessarily, it pulls from both sides and the flow could swing to only one side and stop on the other.

Question (I haven't gone thru 7 pages of this thread again) did you disconnect the heater core hoses and make sure the core was filled?
kwtoxman and joybill44 like this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #102 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:17 AM

Using the vac took me 6 times to get it to actually flow. The final time, I actually warmed the car a bit (let it run for 2 minutes, with the pressure cap off). Then pulled the hose DDMWorks says about...put another 12oz or so into the coolant tank until the waterfall started.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #103 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Quote:

Not necessarily, it pulls from both sides and the flow could swing to only one side and stop on the other.

Question (I haven't gone thru 7 pages of this thread again) did you disconnect the heater core hoses and make sure the core was filled?
I have not, didn't know I needed to.

2007 Solstice GXP
post #104 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

So I pulled the hoses from the heater core and coolant came out, though it was still pretty orange (I have been using water until i figure this thing out, coolant getting expensive). Is there an easier way to determine if there is coolant flow/water pump turning than pulling that cover off?

2007 Solstice GXP
post #105 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
So I pulled the hoses from the heater core and coolant came out, though it was still pretty orange (I have been using water until i figure this thing out, coolant getting expensive). Is there an easier way to determine if there is coolant flow/water pump turning than pulling that cover off?
DDM Dave has said that they have occasionally encountered difficult to bleed cars, and in (many of?) those cases a bubble in the heater core was to blame. He said to removed the hoses and manually fill the core, then re-bleed.

Last time I changed my coolant, I was having the same issue and I did the manual-fill-core trick and it cleared the problem. YMMV.

Update: Found one instance of aforesaid comment: http://www.kappaperformance.com/foru...html#msg161228
kwtoxman likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 09-01-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode