Added UUI radio - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 AM

Option 3, see if you can move the USB (if on a separate board) and reroute out the back. Then swap faceplates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygriff View Post
Both options require me to take apart the radios and delve into the face plates.
All of that is easy, the faceplate removal especially so, but the whole radio is just held together with screws and clips.

HOWEVER, the faceplate itself is the most difficult to take apart (for paint). Lots of tiny screws and pieces that are easy to lose. Take photos/notes at every stage so you can get it back together. For instance, every button is a different molding behind, even though many look the same from the front.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
TomatoSoup - you're killing me ;-)

I had just convinced myself to just paint, and now you have me thinking of running the USB out the back through the glove box! I took the faceplate off my old radio (6 disk) yesterday and yes it was really easy.

If I move the USB out the back, I assume I have to solder in some wiring. If that's the case, I suck at soldering!!!!

I was hoping I could take the entire USB plug to the back of the radio and run an USB extension directly from the moved port out through the glove box. Then I can attach either my kids ipod/wife Iphone and my android phone.

I will pull the new radio out and take a closer look if the USB can be move easily. Then I will make my decision.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I will pull the new radio out and take a closer look if the USB can be move easily. Then I will make my decision.
Yup, that's the best bet. And if it CAN be moved, then you can just cut a U-slot in a back/side panel so you can route an extension cable inside, then plug it into the USB socket. No soldering.

Otherwise, if the USB can't be moved (directly attached to the main board) then find someone who can solder and can remove the protruding USB socket from the board and solder wires to the board instead. That way you could route out the back but still swap the faceplates and not have to cut a hole in your original.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well it looks like I am down to only one option.

I took apart both radios and the face plates don't look to be interchangeable. The screws for holding down the board are different. The newer radio has what looks like a lighted panel between the buttuns where as my old one doesn't.

Also, the USB port is wired directly into the main board. It is not a separate unit.

So, I picked up some paint and will attempt to paint the new radio face plate. I will be doing this over the next couple of weeks. I will post pics of before and after.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 06:07 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I bought a G6 USB radio online. It is factory refurbished and is ready to install in any car. I took it to my painter who disassembled it, painted it black to match the Sky center stack and put it all back together for me. I installed it and it works great. In fact, sadly it works better than the Sky USB radio I bought back when you could and installed in Punisher. The G6 radio is a non-Monsoon radio and as a result it has a LOT more volume range. It sounds great but it provides a lot more sound power into the cockpit than my Monsoon at the same settings. More base and more treble as well. I have considered picking up another G6 radio for my car but most of the time you cant hear it anyway so its low on the list.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 50 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post2067289

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Well it looks like I am down to only one option.

I took apart both radios and the face plates don't look to be interchangeable. The screws for holding down the board are different. The newer radio has what looks like a lighted panel between the buttuns where as my old one doesn't.

Also, the USB port is wired directly into the main board. It is not a separate unit.

So, I picked up some paint and will attempt to paint the new radio face plate. I will be doing this over the next couple of weeks. I will post pics of before and after.
To be clear here, you'd swap the WHOLE faceplate, incl the circuit board. Just as long as the connectors are in the same place and size.

However, if the USB is non-movable and you don't have the soldering skills to desolder (and remote) it, then painting is your only option. Just be aware that the button and screen lighting won't match your old radio.

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Tomato.

I was planning on ONLY swapping the face plate. The circuit boards attached entirely differently (totally different connections).

I realize the lighting colour will be different. No biggie for me.

I will try my painting skills. If all looks good, I will schedule a dealer unlock. If it still looks like crap, then off to Kijiji or Craiglist it goes for $40 CDN

The good news is I am getting good at swapping radios. I can now swap the radio in less than 20 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
The good news is I am getting good at swapping radios. I can now swap the radio in less than 20 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, sorry, didn't understand your point about the differing connectors before.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally got around to painting the new UUI radio. I am color blind, so I had to get my wife to find the paint that matched the current faceplate the best. Turns out a GM Bronzemist color is virtually perfect.

I am pretty impressed with my paint skills

Here is the silver face before paint:

Here is the face after painting:

I am going to polish out any scratches on the lense this week with Meguiars PlastX.

When the weather warms up this week I will install and take some pics and then off to the dealer for reprogram.
easyryderca likes this.

Last edited by tygriff; 04-10-2016 at 01:17 PM.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Now installed after painting.

The paint is almost a perfect match. Very happy!!!!

easyryderca likes this.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:02 PM

Garage
I know this is an old thread and the paint job is done, but I kinda liked the bronze stereo. I have tan door panels and a body-color boomerang. I think it would have looked pretty good in my car!

Chris

"Sunny" - '08 Brazen Orange 2.4 Auto... 7660 feet up in the mountains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode