Anyone do a speaker replacement only? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Anyone do a speaker replacement only?

If so, what did you get? Did it improve the sound? How difficult is the install? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:05 PM

On my 06, I replaced the 6.5 w/ Alpine.. Very nice and ran about $150. Major difference.. Installer said they were a good fit ..

2007 GXP mysterious (sold.. I sorry)
leather, monsoon, 6 CD, headliner, sport pedals, polished aluminum, custom front grille, GMPP stage II upgrade, GMPP exhaust, K&N drop-in, stubby antenna, Kappashield, XM, no front plate (2 tix so far)
Vin#12,6404

2006 mysterious # 5330 (SOLD)

NASSOA # 87
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:19 PM

Alot of people have, and it makes a hell of a difference. Do your door speakers at least.

Fast & Furious 4 solstice:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2661209

Solstice parted out and I'm off the forum. Pm me if you need something.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:12 PM

I replaced the door speakers with kicker 6.5, and kicker 3.5 in the side....10 inch 3.5 deep sub...this did allot for the sound...the Kicker 3.5 side speakers work great now you can hear them with the top down......seal9
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to IBDRINKEN
i relaced mine with the kapa perfects 6.5 componets,its like night and day

[email protected]
Norms Fenders
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
K&N Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover
DDM Tune
JPM Shiftern
Aem Water/Meth Injection
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:56 AM

IBDRINKEN, did you use the crossover supplied w/ the set when you installed them or is the the amp internally crossed over?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 AM

Our test car is on it's 3rd set of speakers, and so far we like the Sony Explode XS-HF167 component speakers the best. I'm sure there are components out there that are better in certain areas but we fount that the Sony’s have a perfect balance between Bass response, Tweeter brightness, and overall lack of distortion or clarity and yes we used the factory passive crossover that came with the set.

We also like the Sony XS-L82P5 8” subwoofer, It has decent response considering we mounted it in the stock Sub enclosure.

We have stuck with a pair of MB Quart 4” for the rear which are infinitely better over stock.

We run all of these speakers off of a single 5ch Eclipse XA5000 Amp. It fits neatly behind the drivers seat and seems to provide enough power to keep the speakers happy.

As for head units we have tested 4 ranging from the full 7” touch screen down to a basic single din unit. But it’s the build we are working on now that is going to have this community buzzing! Here is a link to the teaser…. Stay tuned the car is almost ready!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to MountainKing Send a message via MSN to MountainKing
I've been curious about this as well since I don't really want to mess with taking the head unit out. I also don't have a Monsoon system so I'm curious as to what people would suggest for speakers that offer up a little more bass since I'm not that interested in putting in a sub at this point in time.

As much as I know about home audio, live audio and even audio in studios, I don't know a single thing about car audio as far as what speakers would be good for my situation and anything else I might need beyond the speakers.

2007 GXP Envious w/ tan top
Conv. Preferred & Premium Packages
Ebony Leather
5 spd Automatic, A/C
Bought 12/1/07
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
I've been curious about this as well since I don't really want to mess with taking the head unit out. I also don't have a Monsoon system so I'm curious as to what people would suggest for speakers that offer up a little more bass since I'm not that interested in putting in a sub at this point in time.

As much as I know about home audio, live audio and even audio in studios, I don't know a single thing about car audio as far as what speakers would be good for my situation and anything else I might need beyond the speakers.
If you wanted to keep the stock head unit you could easily upgrade to a nice set of 3way 6 ½ inch coaxial’s in the doors and a set of 3 ½ inch for the rear.

But in all honesty you could probably upgrade the entire audio system for around $650. That would include new speakers all the way around, a stock GM Sub Enclosure with an 8” sub all powered by a 5-channel amplifier running off your stock head unit and you’d be much happier and blow the monsoon system away….

Just a suggestion….
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Roadster Club View Post
If you wanted to keep the stock head unit you could easily upgrade to a nice set of 3way 6 ½ inch coaxial’s in the doors and a set of 3 ½ inch for the rear.

But in all honesty you could probably upgrade the entire audio system for around $650. That would include new speakers all the way around, a stock GM Sub Enclosure with an 8” sub all powered by a 5-channel amplifier running off your stock head unit and you’d be much happier and blow the monsoon system away….

Just a suggestion….

Would you suggest an amp if I went just the speaker route? Any brand suggestions as well? I'm probably going to just start off with the speaker upgrades this year, still not sure if I want to go the sub route yet. A lot of my "fun" money this year is tied up in other things so I figure swapping the speakers will be the cheapest thing for now.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ebony Leather
5 spd Automatic, A/C
Bought 12/1/07
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 01:34 PM

^ I agree... I'm just interested in speakers that will sound better, without messing with an amp, or the stock stereo. (mine is the base stereo)

I fixed the bass problem by putting a low-profile JVC powered sub behind the passenger seat. That was only about $200... and sounds great. But... the stock speakers don't sound so hot.

Surely, somebody makes some inexpensive, efficient speakers that will sound good on the available power?

Cannibals aren't vegetarians, they're humanitarians.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to IBDRINKEN
Dug I i used the crossovers that came with the speakers

[email protected]
Norms Fenders
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
K&N Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover
DDM Tune
JPM Shiftern
Aem Water/Meth Injection
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
Would you suggest an amp if I went just the speaker route? Any brand suggestions as well? I'm probably going to just start off with the speaker upgrades this year, still not sure if I want to go the sub route yet. A lot of my "fun" money this year is tied up in other things so I figure swapping the speakers will be the cheapest thing for now.

Thanks for the suggestions!
If you don’t plan on adding a sub at this point then you can do a basic speaker swap and you’ll improve your system noticeably. But remember your head unit is still pumping out the same power regardless and most aftermarket coaxial’s draw more power, so at a lower volume the system will definitely sound better but don’t expect to be able to crank it up and have it blow the doors off without adding an amp.

In regards to amplifiers the big issue in our cars is space, now there are people that have sunk there amps into the trunk but they still had to sacrifice trunk space to do it. After tearing our test car apart about 100 times we found that the Eclipse XA5000 5-channel amp works best for most people and it tucks nicely behind the drivers seat. It delivers a max of 50watt X 4 channels and a single mono channel at 150watts for the single sub. It is a class D amp so power consumption is cut down and there for so is the heat that is produced. Now some will argue that running two separate amps is better, actually I agree but the Eclipse does pack a good punch in a small form factor… In fact we had to line our Solstice with 8 cubic feet of Dynamat just to keep it from vibrating apart…LOL!

Let me know if there is anything we can do for you…

Martin-GMR
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
If you don’t plan on adding a sub at this point then you can do a basic speaker swap and you’ll improve your system noticeably. But remember your head unit is still pumping out the same power regardless and most aftermarket coaxial’s draw more power, so at a lower volume the system will definitely sound better but don’t expect to be able to crank it up and have it blow the doors off without adding an amp.

In regards to amplifiers the big issue in our cars is space, now there are people that have sunk there amps into the trunk but they still had to sacrifice trunk space to do it. After tearing our test car apart about 100 times we found that the Eclipse XA5000 5-channel amp works best for most people and it tucks nicely behind the drivers seat. It delivers a max of 50watt X 4 channels and a single mono channel at 150watts for the single sub. It is a class D amp so power consumption is cut down and there for so is the heat that is produced. Now some will argue that running two separate amps is better, actually I agree but the Eclipse does pack a good punch in a small form factor… In fact we had to line our Solstice with 8 cubic feet of Dynamat just to keep it from vibrating apart…LOL!

Martin-GMR
I think you about answered everything. I do realize I'm limiting my output with the stock head unit but I like the way it looks and I don't want to dig into the dash to replace it nor do I want somebody else doing it. I think the amp with the speakers will be where I start and if it's still not up to par then I'll get a sub put in there next year. So now where are you located? My next big issue is finding somebody who I trust enough to tear the car apart to put the speakers in since I don't trust myself enough

Ebony Leather
5 spd Automatic, A/C
Bought 12/1/07
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Martin-GMR
Martin - dude, your posts rock! Love that you guys are out there tearing the car apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Added UUI radio | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode