Anyone do a speaker replacement only? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 07:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to MountainKing Send a message via MSN to MountainKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Martin - dude, your posts rock! Love that you guys are out there tearing the car apart.
Yeah I agree, I'm glad there's guys that are doing this. I just wish some of them lived closer to me, I would gladly driver several hours and pay some extra cash to have somebody install speakers for me that knows their way around the Solstice. I have huge trust issues when it comes to my cars and as mechanically inclined as I am in other areas in my life I just don't know a single thing about tearing into cars beyond doing simple stuff like an oil change. It's one of those things where I just feel better paying somebody else to do it if they know what they're doing.

2007 GXP Envious w/ tan top
Conv. Preferred & Premium Packages
Ebony Leather
5 spd Automatic, A/C
Bought 12/1/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
Yeah I agree, I'm glad there's guys that are doing this. I just wish some of them lived closer to me, I would gladly driver several hours and pay some extra cash to have somebody install speakers for me that knows their way around the Solstice. I have huge trust issues when it comes to my cars and as mechanically inclined as I am in other areas in my life I just don't know a single thing about tearing into cars beyond doing simple stuff like an oil change. It's one of those things where I just feel better paying somebody else to do it if they know what they're doing.

We are based out of Scottsdale Arizona, we obviously do a lot of work with the Clubs that are close to us (Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, New Mexico, ect). When you are ready to take the plunge I’ll send you links to companies that we have referred our club members to in the past to purchase your components.

The best advice I have is go to the National GM Roadster web site and look for a chapter that is close to you. Join that chapter and then get with those club members and start looking for someone who has the experience needed to help with your project.

If all else fails, we’d love to have you visit us out here where we have year round top down weather…Sorry I couldn’t resist

Let me know where we can help.

Martin-GMR
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Martin - dude, your posts rock! Love that you guys are out there tearing the car apart.
Thank you! As one of the founding members of the National GM Roadster Club I am really a Kappa enthusiast… The way I look at it is simply let me destroy my car and make all the mistakes so that you and our club members don’t have to….or ask me first because I’m sure I’ve made a mistake so that you don’t have to…. Plus it’s fun to rip the car apart add fun things like Nitrous systems, Building Custom Turbo kits, Tweak & Tune the car to get different results, Add audio components that most people wouldn’t event think of doing…. Then go tell people how to do all this!

It’s all part of being in a club!

Martin-GMR
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Late to the party !

I have the "Monsoon System" and frankly the sound is poor.
I also have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee that came stock with a Infinti Gold system and it is far superior to the Monsoon.

Can this be rectafied with just a speaker (ALL) upgrade ?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 01:53 PM

bringing this one back from the dead. anyone get the gm-roadster monsoon upgrade and if so how is it compared to stock??

2007 SOL base model, fully loaded agressive with black leather interior.
MOD'S to date
.ddmworks stage 2
.lil chromies
.LED tail light spirder bulbs
.kappaspear wind screen
.magnaflow cat back
.msd dash hawk
.ddmworks back bone
.powder polished valve cover
.ddmworks back bone
.RK-Sport ram air hood
.Norms T-Skirts
.GXP Front bumper W/norms splitte
.RK-Sport Spoiler
.Sniper NOS kit
.Custom Polished Stainless brake/coolant/battery cover
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 01:57 PM

Do any of you guys have a stock rear 3.5 inch speaker I can buy!!
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 10:43 AM

If they are the same as the ones in the sky I still have mine. I need to look in my garage to confirm though. if you pay for the shipping you can have them.

22008 RL Bluestone/Tan/Black Leather "Sally"
"SKY4JOY"
5 Speed
Chrome 18" Wheels
Stubby
Custom Etched Windscreen
Monsoon 6 CD w/XM
PAL
Infinity Reference door/tweeters
Kicker S350 Rears
Brake Light Decal
Painted Calipers
Silver Marker Bulbs
RPI GT exhaust
GMPP CAI
Color Matched Badges
Spring "11" Project - JVC Nav, Alpine Amp, Kicker sub
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:35 PM

I was hoping to get a bit more detail and advise on what other have tried.

I'm not much of an audiophile but i tried to match the specs for the items recommended in the Kappa Stereo Lessons Learned thread and I came up with the following, can anyone please validate if this is a good set up.

Tweeter - open for suggestions
Door Speakers - PowerBass L2-652 6.5"x 2 5/16" deep x 2 ohm 60 W RMS, 180 W Peak 58-21K Hz
Rear Speakers - Kcker 44KSC3504 3.5" x 1 11/16" deep x 4 ohm 50W RMS 100W Peak 80-20K Hz
SubWoofer - Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 8" x 2 5/8" deep dual voice coil x 2 ohm 75 W RMS/coil 150W Peak/coil 38-250Hz

Please let me know if anyone has had any experience with these components or can recommend something better.

07 Deep GXP -

Foot Well lights, side marker turn signal, trunk spring, Antenna Delete, Retractable License plate, Clear Turn signals, Painted Calipers+decals

My solstice Site with HowTo Articles- http://www.cherod.com/solstice
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:22 AM

I have no experience with those speakers, but I do have two suggestions:
1) Review all of the radio or head unit replacement threads, here and at skyroadster.com for speakers used. (If you haven't already.)
2) Go to Crutchfield to look at their recommendations. I know a number of people have followed them with good results.
easyryderca likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:26 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
I did some pioneer 4 ways in the doors(6.5") and some...."off brand "2 ways in the rear..not a lot of difference with the sock head unit.it sounds better but I need to take some time to put the head unit in.also I put the speakers in without adding the foam shells around them...they came in a week later.....someday I will put them in.They should help the bass some.but power ( better head unit) will also help that.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:42 AM

I checked out Crutchfield but I'm not having a lot of confidence in their suggestions. They recommended 4 ohm speakers for the doors and the 2 Ohm Speakers they recommended were extremely expensive.

I ordered radio and Axess steering wheel control and we were never able to get it working properly on the solstice. they wound up sending me a different brand but I lost the on-star. Not much of a loss since I didn't use it anyway.

I'll give Crutchfield a call and see what they say. ]

thanks for the suggestion on the Pioneer 4 way, I'll check it out.

07 Deep GXP -

Foot Well lights, side marker turn signal, trunk spring, Antenna Delete, Retractable License plate, Clear Turn signals, Painted Calipers+decals

My solstice Site with HowTo Articles- http://www.cherod.com/solstice
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:05 PM

These look interesting for the doors....

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108K62...appa-62ix.html

These get good reviews for the rear speakers....

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_301DCX...-DCX-87-3.html

I take it you upgraded the head unit already?

Last edited by znaut; 09-02-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Added UUI radio | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode