Anyone try Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Anyone try Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer?

I have the monsoon setup in my '08 GXP and I was wondering if these are an improvement. I'm looking to slowly upgrade my system. I'm trying not to go overkill like my last car with a bunch of amps and false floors with subs. I plan on upgrading the HU first. I'm fine with the way it sounds stock but, I really miss having a USB and Bluetooth.

I plan on getting the Pioneer DEH-X6700BS. I had the double din version similar to this in my last car and like the features Plus it's XM Sirius ready. I'm getting the single din from Crutchfield so I can get the cubby below for extra storage for my phone. I plan on keeping the stock amp as long as I can. I will still run the RCA's to the stock amp location incase I want to add an aftermarket amp in the future.

I have been also doing research on speakers if replacements are needed. I would maybe do the door and upgrade the rears to 4" and the sub last. I like Pioneer speakers in the past and came across the Pioneer shallow mount 8" sub TS-SW2002D2 - <b>NEW!</b> - 8" Shallow-Mount Subwoofer with 600 Watts Max. Power | Pioneer Electronics USA . They look like a good option and has pretty good reviews on Amazon. I'm not looking for block party in my car just an improvement if possible.

Thanks for any input.
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Just an update Infinity is having a sale on their website and I picked up the Kappa 62.9l 6 1/2" two way for $72.09 and the Reference 3002cfx 3 1/2" for $71.95 with free shipping. That's cheaper than amazon but, they won't be here till the first week in January.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 08:55 PM

Did you consider buying the Infinity 1000S Shallow Mount Subwoofer?

After reviewing your post you shared about the sale of those Infinity 62.9i fry door & 3002i rear panel speakers on the Infinity website I decided to go with them as well for my Coupe.

I am also considering the purchase of an Infinity 1000S 10" shallow mount sub to replace the OEM unit.

I have the stock iPod compatible USB jack stock AM/FM/SAT/CD radio along with the Monsoon amplifier.

I think the system should really sound decent with those Infinity car speaker upgrades.

I like the interface of the stock head unit with the steering wheel controls. The Bluetooth phone works great. Only thing I can't do is stream from my iPhone 6 Plus. Have to wire it in

Lar Bear
2009 "Cool" 5 spd Solstice Coupe
Lorain, Ohio

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Lar Bear on the "North Coast"
#159 "Cool" Solstice GXP manual Coupe
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

I looked at the Pioneer sub because it is the same size and same ohms as factory speaker. I didn't want to hack the factory enclosure very much and a bigger speaker benefits from a larger box. The factory enclosure should be good enough for another 8". I'm not looking to have a booming system just better sound.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 06:11 AM

I opened up the specs on that shallow mount 10" subwoofer and it's only 3 3/8" deep. It also has a 2 or 4 ohm adjustable impedance which matches the factory 8" sub.

You can buy a 8 to 10" sub mtg ring so I believe it will be close to a direct replacement.

The Infinity compatibility check info says it should work in a Pontiac Solstice. I am gonna chance it. I, like you, don't want to modify my interior from stock. I have read on this Forum there's a big positive difference between a 10" sub compared to the 8".

Let us know how your retrofit goes! I will do same. My Coupe is in hibernation.

The speaker upgrade will be one of the mods over the winter.

I am just one who wants to use all the same brand speakers for my upgrade. I ended up getting all 5 speakers for $224 over a list cost of $369 (40% off).

Lar Bear
'09 "Cool" 5spd GXP Coupe
Lorain, OH "on the North Coast"

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

I put in my new Pioneer radio and everything worked fine. Chimes and onstar work and now the system sounds much better. The frequency range seems expanded. The sound is clearer overall and the sub goes much deeper. After adjusting the gain for the Monsoon setup it makes me wonder if I need the new speakers after all. Lol Have put is your speakers yet or are your delayed like mine?

Only problem I'm having is with steering wheel controls. When I hold the volume up to program , Onstar comes on. I'll figure it out in the morning. If I don't figure it out no big deal. It's not like the radio is hard to reach.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 09:17 PM

I am waiting on my Infinity speakers as you are!

I am sure they will make a big difference.

Lar Bear #159
'09 "Cool" Sol GXP Manual Coupe
Lorain, OH

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

After multiple tries and talking to Crutchfield they said the steering controls don't work in our cars.
I got everything back together and mounted the sat antenna on the dash on the driver side near the windshield. It works great. Now just waiting on the speakers. ;-)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme View Post
After multiple tries and talking to Crutchfield they said the steering controls don't work in our cars.
I got everything back together and mounted the sat antenna on the dash on the driver side near the windshield. It works great. Now just waiting on the speakers. ;-)
Bullhockey. MANY folks have replaced the head unit and have the steering wheel controls working afterward. You just need the correct GMLAN adapter box.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Bullhockey. MANY folks have replaced the head unit and have the steering wheel controls working afterward. You just need the correct GMLAN adapter box.
Would you happen to know which one?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 05:50 PM

No personal experience, but many reports. At least one used a PAC SWI-PS. SlyBob also has his working (PM him to find out what) from Crutchfield.

Here's just one thread: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...-thread-31382/

...and many more with possibly useful info: https://www.google.com/search?num=50...sticeforum.com

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
No personal experience, but many reports. At least one used a PAC SWI-PS. SlyBob also has his working (PM him to find out what) from Crutchfield.

Here's just one thread: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...-thread-31382/

...and many more with possibly useful info: https://www.google.com/search?num=50...sticeforum.com
Thanks for the links. I read them and it seems to be hit and miss. It's not a big deal. The controls are on the left and pretty easy to reach.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 05:54 AM

Itsme -

Did you receive all your Infinity Speakers that we're back ordered yet? If so installed? How does it sound.

I recv'd mine but returned the Kappa series door speakers and bought the CF6032s instead to keep my Infinity speaker upgrade all "reference series" speaker types.

Still debating whether to replace the A pillar tweeters with the available 1" Infinity Reference ones. The impedance on them is 3 ohms. The stock tweeters have 2 ohm impedance.

#159 "Cool" 5spd GXP coupe

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lar Bear View Post
Itsme -

Did you receive all your Infinity Speakers that we're back ordered yet? If so installed? How does it sound.

I recv'd mine but returned the Kappa series door speakers and bought the CF6032s instead to keep my Infinity speaker upgrade all "reference series" speaker types.

Still debating whether to replace the A pillar tweeters with the available 1" Infinity Reference ones. The impedance on them is 3 ohms. The stock tweeters have 2 ohm impedance.

#159 "Cool" 5spd GXP coupe

They just came in and I'm about to install them now. I was just looking over some install info first. Trying to fit speaker wire diagram for monsoon. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by itsme; 01-16-2016 at 09:45 AM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I found diagram. I will report back when finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode