Anyone try Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply. I got everything in and it sounds great. Everything was pretty straight forward. The sound is much improved. I have a song that I test my stereo with because it has a part where the bass goes side to side so I can hear if a speaker is out of phase. It has a part with sirens and I had the top down. I had to turn the radio off because I could tell if it was the song or outside. It was the song. LOL The headset and speakers have made a huge improvement in sound quality and all of the muddiness is gone.

I really like the Kappa's they bring out the detail in string instruments and classic music and not to bright even with the stock tweeter still attached.

Now I'm set. I have had my car for 2 months, I changed my oil, Flush the brake and clutch lines, got new tires, DDM brace kit, radio, with Bluetooth, satellite, Pandora, and USB now I'm ready for a trip up the coast with the Wifey. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 08:17 PM

Great. Glad everything went together well and you're ready to enjoy your Kappa.

I probably won't start replacing the speakers for another month or two. I think I am going to hold off on replacing the a pillar tweeters until I hear the infinity speaker upgrade.

My coupe shares the garage with my wife's Lincoln MKX Black Label. I'll start working on the speaker and sound deadening as soon as spring weather allows me to keep the lil lady's Lincoln outside so I can have the whole garage for Kappa upgrade work before I start driving it everyday to work.

Are you going to the NASSM convention in June? I would like to but we'll be in the midst of launching the 2017 military grade aluminum Ford Super Duty F Series Cab - chassis at the plant I run a department in.

Lar Bear on the "North Coast"
#159 "Cool" 5spd GXP Coupe

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#159 "Cool" Solstice GXP manual Coupe
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lar Bear View Post
Great. Glad everything went together well and you're ready to enjoy your Kappa.

I probably won't start replacing the speakers for another month or two. I think I am going to hold off on replacing the a pillar tweeters until I hear the infinity speaker upgrade.

My coupe shares the garage with my wife's Lincoln MKX Black Label. I'll start working on the speaker and sound deadening as soon as spring weather allows me to keep the lil lady's Lincoln outside so I can have the whole garage for Kappa upgrade work before I start driving it everyday to work.

Are you going to the NASSM convention in June? I would like to but we'll be in the midst of launching the 2017 military grade aluminum Ford Super Duty F Series Cab - chassis at the plant I run a department in.

No I won't make it. I live in So Cal and that is a little far for me. LOL

The install is pretty simple but, make sure you get the wire diagram there is no way to tell which is positive or negative without it. It has like one yellow and tan or on light green and the other dark green.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 04:30 AM

Bryan -

Thanks for the tip on using the Monsoon wiring diagram.

BTW, what song did you use to test out your speakers with? Just curious.

Where abouts in So Calif do you reside?

What color Kappa did you buy? How many miles were on it?

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

I have an 2008 Black on black GXP with a black top. I got it with 31K and I live in Carson, CA it's where they were trying to get an NFL stadium. Next to Long beach about 10 minutes north of the Ocean.

The song I use is from the old Warren Beatty political comedy from 1998 "Bulworth" soundtrack called Zoom by Dr. Dre and LL Cool J. @ about 2:30 the song has a breakdown and the bass rolls from sides to side for a few times. On a old stereo install when I played this song and the bass sound a bit off then at the breakdown the bass got deeper as it rolled to one side and flat to the other.

I have a group of test song when I install a stereo or upgrade my home audio.

Zoom by LL Cool J and Dr. Dre for phasing

For soundstage and separation:
Eric Clapton unplugged - Layla soundstage

Chris Gaines (Garth Brooks) - Lost in you. That has some of the best sound mixing I ever heard. It sounds like surround sound with only two speakers.

Kanye West - All of the lights (interlude) It's sounds like just a Cello and a Piano. On a good setup you can hear the subtle sound of the bow on the strings and the vibration of the string being played in the piano. I can hear that detail now in my solstice when it's parked.

Then to test low frequency:
R. Kelly - Seems like your ready. It's a slow song but, the bass note starts and rolls down the frequency to below 20 hz.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 05:19 PM

Bryan -
I appreciate the detailed lists of test songs. Enjoy your "Kappa Heap"!

Lar Bear from the "North Coast"
#159 "Cool" 5 spd GXP Coupe
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 09:14 PM

Sub upgrade

Quote:
Bryan -
I appreciate the detailed lists of test songs. Enjoy your "Kappa Heap"!

Lar Bear from the "North Coast"
#159 "Cool" 5 spd GXP Coupe
Did either of you upgrade the sub? If so which one did you use and how did it sound?

As for steering wheel controls I used Metra LC-GMRC-LAN-03 Wiring Interface [Vehicle Info: 2008 Pontiac Solstice Convertible with Monsoon sound system] from cruchfield. I did lose my Onstar but did keep chimes etc.

Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter [Vehicle Info: 2008 Pontiac Solstice Convertible with Monsoon sound system] had to resistor but it is included in the GMOS LAN 03 KIT I believe.

Kenwood XR900 5ch amp behind driver seat. looking for a compatible sub. Did not like the sound of the kenwood excelon shallow mount 8 and now have the stock one back in.

2008 Mysterious GXP
Black on Black
Loaded with On Star
Chrome wheels
De-badged
GMPP Turbo Upgrade
GM Racing pedals
GM console storage bag
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

I still have the stock sub and stock amp. I'm still thinking about the Pioneer sub. But, right now I'm fine. Once the new speaker broke in they sound even better.

I was wondering what didn't you like about the Kenwood that made you go back to stock. Also did you change your other speakers?
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:43 PM

I finally installed the 8" Pioneer shallow mount sub and the Infinity Reference speakers in my Frt doors and rear panels today. They sound great. The sub is so much better than the stock Monsoon sub.

I still need to upgrade the A Post tweeters. I have the Infinity Reference replacements. Just need to get motivated to finish the speaker upgrade.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:38 PM
ZPM

Quote:
I finally installed the 8" Pioneer shallow mount sub and the Infinity Reference speakers in my Frt doors and rear panels today. They sound great. The sub is so much better than the stock Monsoon sub.

I still need to upgrade the A Post tweeters. I have the Infinity Reference replacements. Just need to get motivated to finish the speaker upgrade.

Hey! I just installed the TS-SW2002D2 tonight. When I wired up the connectors black-to-black and red-to-red on each voice coil post the sub sounded 180 degrees out of phase. I used to own a mobile audio shop back in the day so I'm grossly accustomed to the "plat" vs "boom" sound subs make when they're out of phase with even the 6 1/2's in the doors. I inverted the red and black lines on each voice coil post and now it sounds "normal". Not thunderously booming like my SUV with a big ported enclosure, but not "plat". ha ha

Just wondering if you had the same experience.

Here's the odd thing with my 2008 Monsoon system. If I fade it all the way to the rear the rear 3 1/2" and the sub make sound. If I fade it all the way to the front, the sub completely goes away. I guess it's the rear preamps that drive the sub. Also, I clearly heard muffled vocals from the sub when I faded to the rear so I assume there's no crossover there. Maybe I'll put a coil in each of the two channels at some point to roll off the highs.

Last edited by ZPM; 09-25-2018 at 08:43 PM.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:55 PM

Question for those that installed this Pioneer woofer. Did you take the metal cover off the stock sub and install it on the Pioneer, or did you just install the Pioneer with no cover? I installed it with the cover, and I'm getting a slight rattle when it hits certain lows at high volume, and I'm wondering if it's the speaker hitting the cover. Should I leave the cover on or remove it since the sub is protected by the body panel? Thanks.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:33 PM

I installed the pioneer sub on its own, left the stock sub and itís grill in one piece. No issues
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:07 PM
ZPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volarium View Post
Question for those that installed this Pioneer woofer. Did you take the metal cover off the stock sub and install it on the Pioneer, or did you just install the Pioneer with no cover? I installed it with the cover, and I'm getting a slight rattle when it hits certain lows at high volume, and I'm wondering if it's the speaker hitting the cover. Should I leave the cover on or remove it since the sub is protected by the body panel? Thanks.
I used this Pioneer 8" and didn't transfer the metal grill either. I noticed rattling from the flat area of the enclosure above the speaker opening. So, I applied 5/8th inch thick dense weather strip foam across it. This allows me to prop the passenger seat tightly against the back panel so that it deadens the rattle. Problem solved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1019181924a.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	92263  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 08:52 AM

Thank you so much! I guess I'll be tearing it all apart and removing the grill. :-D I don't know if that is causing the rattle, but it didn't do it before the upgrade, so it's a good starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in