Audio System Questions - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Yup. It has a replacement HU already (JVC)... I'm not exactly all that sold on it though, so, I have choices, use my unused Kenwood KDC-X994 and suck it up that HDRadio and Satellite (Sirius Ready, not Sirius XM) is going to be a pain and on the expensive side, or get a different HU.... Maybe the DDX-774BH or the new DDX-775BH... (Excelon is nice, but starting to wonder if it's really worth it in the newer models. Kenwood still has a nice and sensitive FM tuner section, more so than Pioneer and most Android HUs. I'll stick with bluetooth in the HU for streaming and hands free calls (as noisy as they might get.) (yeah, I might be splitting hairs between JVC and Kenwood since they are the same company now, but I like Kenwood better.)

Door/pillar and rear panel speakers I think are pretty much set now and I'm still leaning toward a Rockford shallow mount Punch sub, although Kicker and Pioneer isn't 100% eliminated. I'll probably wire for the 2 Ohm load on the amp I'm considering to max out power there, using 60x4 @ 4 for the front and back, and 350x1 @ 2 for the sub.

The Power amp choice is what I'm most concerned about as the Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D is the one I'm looking at. Power out is good enough for me, but it's quality that I'm not settled on. (the price is nice though.) I do plan on keeping it in the same area as the original Monsoon amp and probably running new wires out. (unless someone tells me the OEM wiring should be fine for my power scale - 60Wx4 with the Sub channel being more, and a shorter run.) Now I do know the original Monsoon amp has a 20A fuse, and the Soundstream has a 40A. (new power wiring would have a 50A or 60A near the battery.)... which leads to if I want to max out the power, if my 125A alternator will suffice. or should I find a 145A or slightly more, model.

it's better to change my mind like crazy now than after I start purchasing and installing the various parts.

Thank you all who have chimed in so far. (response time over at CarAudio.com so far hasn't even been close.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 AM

I have a simple question,( I think ) ! I have an 07 GXP & would like to get Sirrius XM for the radio,Reading the owners manual,it says that it is adaptale,but is rather vague.I have it on my 2012 trk,bit I don't see any special receiver antenna like that one has

I'm satisfied with the factory sound system,but I like my 50's & 60's Music.So will it work or do I need to take it to the Man ?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Yet another update on what I'm looking at to build this with:

Clarion XC2510 (2x40A fuses and power lines: 8Ga or 4Ga?
Rockford Fosgate P165-SI (unless I find the P165-SE cheaper)
Polk Audio DB402
Rockford Fosgate P3DS4-10

Still tossing around some ideas for my HU, although the Kenwood DDX775BH or DDR774BH are at the top of my list at the moment. (would prefer cheaper,and the 774 is headed cheaper as it is now replaced by the 775.) They have superior FM sensitivity compare to Pioneer, which seems to offer an optional navigation option. I've been looking at Android based HUs, but none seem to fit all my criteria:
  • HD Tuner
  • Satellite ready (this is the largest missing feature)
  • RDS
  • CD/DVD
  • as a plus, Navigation

How long should the RCAs be?
How many feet of power line was ran between battery and Monsoon amp mount position?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Update on audio upgrade/rebuild.

PPI PPA900.5 5-ch amp 70w/ch + 270W @ 4Ω, 115w/ch + 440W @ 2Ω 14.4v
Rockford Fosgate P165-SE 6.5" (6.75"?) components
Kicker 44KSC3504 3.5"
Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-10 + the grill (P2P3G-10)
Kenwood Excelon XR DDX-9905S head unit.
SiriusXM SXV300 v2 XM satellite tuner.

Also grabbed RCAs to run to the back plus a power wire kit. (OFC not CCA or "KCA")

Had issues with the wiring kit for the chimes and that... Schoshe makes a unit that is supposed to cover chimes and SWC, but unfortunately it appears to only work with 2007 and newer <sigh>... So... enter the Axxess AX-GMLAN11-SWC... covers chimes and SWC... although I'm concerned I may lose chimes again when I run the audio thru the RCAs when I move over to the PPI amp.

I Had an issue mounting in the dash, in which I incorrectly attributed to a bracket that was behind the radio bay. (Removed about 1/4" of material to help, but it didn't.) Turned out to be a centering pin on the mounting kit was the trouble maker. Clipped it off and it fits properly.

Now... I'll probably either mount the GPS antenna on the crossbar that's there for crash safety reasons, or just on top of the head unit. I'll probably push the SXV300 back behind the glove-box. I just got to route the RCAs to the back now and decide exactly where I'm going to mount the XM antenna. (Best places where the cable won't get pinched or kinked?) I'm too cheap to buy the service at the moment, but with a free initial three-months and seasonal free periods (of no more than a week) I'll get by at least until I decide that its a must... which might be never considering some feel that the XM signal is too low of quality to really enjoy.

Eventually I'll get the rest installed and updated.

Last edited by Bill Barnes; 09-02-2018 at 11:45 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Barnes View Post
Update on audio upgrade/rebuild.

PPI PPA900.5 5-ch amp 70w/ch + 270W @ 4Ω, 115w/ch + 440W @ 2Ω 14.4v
Rockford Fosgate P165-SE 6.5" (6.75"?) components
Kicker 44KSC3504 3.5"
Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-10 + the grill (P2P3G-10)
Kenwood Excelon XR DDX-9905S head unit.
SiriusXM SXV300 v2 XM satellite tuner.
Update: got the head unit installed this weekend along with the XM antenna. I just put the antenna on the trunk (boot) deck ran the cable under the liner to the point where the cables tie to the lid and then ran it back down along side the cable then to a wiring harness on the left passenger side. Followed that harness into the cabin, then ran it the usual under the door-floor panel then up the side and along the bottom edge of the glove box (behind the panel) and up into the head unit's mounting area.

Also got the Kicker 44KSC3504 3.5" installed since I had the car partially apart. Its a world of difference in sound with just this much done. Now, on to the rest when opportunity arises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode