Dove into the dashboard... pics and info inside - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip
2KWK4U; Man...nice work! Your either real brave, real crazy, or just have way too much time on your hands. If I tried something like this... Well let's just say the results would not be pretty. Anytime I fool with something that isn't broke, I break it. How long did your exploratory surgery take and did the patient survive? Any scars?
Thanks! I'm all three (brave, crazy, 4-day weekend). This is pretty much standard practice for me. I take apart every new car I own within weeks of taking over the keys. I probably spent about 3 hours in total pulling things apart and poking around.

'06 #101409 - Sold to move to Germany

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

Stored AGAIN for two years instead of bringing it to Russia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWK4U
Thanks! I'm all three (brave, crazy, 4-day weekend). This is pretty much standard practice for me. I take apart every new car I own within weeks of taking over the keys. I probably spent about 3 hours in total pulling things apart and poking around.
It's all good unless you end up with extra parts.

Serene will be a color! Even if only on one car.
post #18 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_on_me
Thanks 2KW! Did you take any measurements of the base unit or "apparent" empty spaces while you were in there?
Aw crap! I KNEW I forgot to do something. Here's a couple more pictures of the head unit. The cavity it goes into is pretty much an exact fit (a little play, of course), but open at the top for ventilation. There's not even any more allowance on the left side for the internal amp's heat sink!

As for dimensions, I'd look at what crutchfield gives for other newer GM cars with the same head unit. I'd bet a paycheck they all use the same style recess in the dashboard.

In one of the above pics, you can see a white post on the back of of the head unit case. That post engages a hole in the back of the bay, and I think the head unit might bottom out in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headunit9.JPG
Views:	755
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	2866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headunit5.JPG
Views:	688
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	2867  

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

post #19 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang
That's just too cool.

In your dashboard adventures, did it look possible to move the airbag indicator to below the stereo?
I'm going to say "maybe." Anything is possible, but I don't know how easy it would be. In "dash3.jpg" (above) you can see that you would probably have to cut a web out of the dash carcass to put it there. Also you'll have to extend the wire harness, and fabricate a way to get the flat panel to fit the curved part of the IP trim (see IPtrim3.jpg).

I considered it briefly, because I thought the hole left behind from the airbag light unit would be a nice fit for a radar detector remote display. I might just eliminate the airbag light panel all together, though. Alot of GM cars put it in the rearview mirror. If I can find a self-dimming rearview mirror with map lights, compass, temp display, and passenger airbag light in a salvage yard, then I'll grab it and free up the space for my V1 remote display.

post #20 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDave
I love checking out your pictures. Great information. How do you get all those plastic panels off without breaking plastic or clips? When you put it back together, no squeeks or rattles? Next, could you attack the trunk? I'd love to see for sure what is under the Mayan Temple.
Very carefully! I have a panel-popper tool that I bought from the snap-on man ages ago when I worked as a stereo/alarm installer. I put a cotton wrag over the business end of that, and put it between the panel gaps, then hunt for the locations of the clips. When I find one, I say a little prayer and squeeze away

No squeeks or rattles upon reassembly! Needless to say I'm happy for that. Believe it or not, the trunk/Mayan Temple IS next up. I might get around to that one today.

post #21 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaride
Nice work.....now that you're in there, what's your take on how stuffs Engineered/Assembled. [i.e.] did you find things were put together in a logical well thought out way...no unneccessary parts....all the fasteners torqued down correctly...quality bits and pieces....etc etc............
YES, overall I was impressed with the quality of materials, design, and assembly. Especially for a first-year car, and ESPECIALLY for a GM. I did have my concerns when I took apart the rear bulkhead, because some of the clips there seemed to be "MacGuyvered". I found nothing of that sort up front.

post #22 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhammon
As for the aftermarket head unit replacment and keeping the chimes.. there is a unit out there by Metra and I believe at least one other company to keep the chimes. Cost is around $60... Metra part number GMRC-01. Crutchfield and I think CircuitCity can get them (among your favorite online aftermarket stereo company).

I had one in a previous car. All the box does in plug inbetween the head unit and the factory wiring to "hear" the Data Bus signal. The box (which contains a speaker) then makes the correct sound for the signal. Problem is the box is buried inside your dash and can be harder to hear, or much louder and is no longer volume controlable. I know my Olds Alero I could control the volume of the "dings" with the stereo... I'm guessing you can still do the same.

Data Bus connections are standard on the radios... remember, it's a worldwide radio system now, so don't get too nervous if something doesn't like Solstice on the packaging just yet.
Thanks, rlhammon. Is the other company Pacific Audio Control (PAC) by chance? I've had good luck with their adapters in the past.

post #23 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Aw crap! I KNEW I forgot to do something.
It's okay 2KW, but can you measure your hand for me?
post #24 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_on_me
It's okay 2KW, but can you measure your hand for me?
Sure thing! Here ya go... metric too! Sorry, they're a little blurry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004.JPG
Views:	706
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	2868   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0005.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	2869  

post #25 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Head unit and wire connectors
So can anyone tell us if there is a possibility of connecting an external CD changer?

Not for that reason, but because, and it's been mentioned before, that to truly do iPod integration (with working steering wheel controls and track info on the radio display) requires a CD changer port.
post #26 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Sure thing! Here ya go... metric too! Sorry, they're a little blurry.
Wait a second! If both of your hands are in the pic, who's holding the camera?

post #27 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:15 PM

Quote:
... Also you'll have to extend the wire harness, and fabricate a way to get the flat panel to fit the curved part of the IP trim (see IPtrim3.jpg).
That's where a trip to your local Saturn dealership next Fall will come in handy. Switch out the curved plastic for a flat one.

post #28 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:26 PM

Scott, great job and keep it up.
post #29 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang
That's where a trip to your local Saturn dealership next Fall will come in handy. Switch out the curved plastic for a flat one.
I wouldn't doubt if we see 2KWK4U being the first guy to put a Sky interior into a Solstice!!

- bspate -
post #30 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dori-san
So can anyone tell us if there is a possibility of connecting an external CD changer?

Not for that reason, but because, and it's been mentioned before, that to truly do iPod integration (with working steering wheel controls and track info on the radio display) requires a CD changer port.
It's been so long since I've really done installs, and so much has changed that I don't know what to look for anymore. I'm going to give a weak "probably not" as your answer. Sorry I can't do better than that. Keep in mind that this is the base stereo, too. The upscale units may have more inputs/outputs. However, I still doubt there will be any offered with CD changer control capabilities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode