Dove into the dashboard... pics and info inside - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang
Wait a second! If both of your hands are in the pic, who's holding the camera?
Haha! I'm a man of many talents.

'06 #101409 - Sold to move to Germany

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

Stored AGAIN for two years instead of bringing it to Russia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWK4U
Haha! I'm a man of many talents.

It would appear so. Can't wait to see what's under the mayan temple.

Serene will be a color! Even if only on one car.
post #33 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 03:02 PM

Well done Scott! The pictures are fantastic and provide a whole new learning experience. Was the main dash IPtrim1 the most difficult piece? I wonder if the aftermarket will provide a replacement piece, perhaps in simulated wood burl. This might also provide an opportunity for changing location of lights?

Does the center console area have enough room under it to enable a new piece to be formed that provided a tray?

#82 of 1K, Envious/AC/Power/Convenience/Premium/ABS/LSD - delivered 9/8/2005
Map Me
post #34 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 03:43 PM

Great post Scott! Usually you don't get to see the guts behind the dash so soon in a car's life.

See you next weekend!

#1352 Mysterious black. Ordered 4/15. Delivered 11/25. First ticket 11/27
post #35 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolLate
Well done Scott! The pictures are fantastic and provide a whole new learning experience. Was the main dash IPtrim1 the most difficult piece? I wonder if the aftermarket will provide a replacement piece, perhaps in simulated wood burl. This might also provide an opportunity for changing location of lights?

Does the center console area have enough room under it to enable a new piece to be formed that provided a tray?

Yes, the IP trim was by far the most trouble to remove. Once that is out, everything else comes out easily (radio, gauge cluster, etc). As for the center console, maybe a change tray could be molded into a new piece, but that's about it. The center tunnel structure is pretty substantial. Here's two pictures from an earlier endeavor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misctrim.JPG
Views:	678
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	2885   Click image for larger version

Name:	bulkhead2.JPG
Views:	696
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	2886  

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

post #36 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlackE31
Great post Scott! Usually you don't get to see the guts behind the dash so soon in a car's life.

See you next weekend!
Haha! Usually that's the case with 'normal' people. I'm surprised I managed to wait this long to take it apart

Looking forward to the weekend.

post #37 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:14 PM

Great Job!

Scott,
Thanks for the great work! I've ordered the basic radio w/ plans to upgrade to an aftermarket unit & speakers. You've provided excellent info. Keep up the good work.
post #38 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang
It would appear so. Can't wait to see what's under the mayan temple.
He's been there too:
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8037

2KWK4U, I'm going to see the judge tomorrow and get a restraining order that requires you to at all times be at least one city block away from MARiSOL. Not that I don't trust you, I just don't trust you!

Thanks for all your efforts to show us the insides of a Solstice. Certainly not for the squeamish!

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
post #39 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhammon
As for the aftermarket head unit replacment and keeping the chimes.. there is a unit out there by Metra and I believe at least one other company to keep the chimes. Cost is around $60... Metra part number GMRC-01. Crutchfield and I think CircuitCity can get them (among your favorite online aftermarket stereo company).

I had one in a previous car. All the box does in plug inbetween the head unit and the factory wiring to "hear" the Data Bus signal. The box (which contains a speaker) then makes the correct sound for the signal. Problem is the box is buried inside your dash and can be harder to hear, or much louder and is no longer volume controlable. I know my Olds Alero I could control the volume of the "dings" with the stereo... I'm guessing you can still do the same.

Data Bus connections are standard on the radios... remember, it's a worldwide radio system now, so don't get too nervous if something doesn't like Solstice on the packaging just yet.
You guys have answered some questions that have popped up but here is another one. Does anyone know for a certainty that nothing else runs through the head unit/radio? I also have the stock unit and want to change it asap BUT my Pontiac service manager has alluded to other things that run through the radio, not just the turn signal indicator sound and the door chimes. Have been waiting a week now and the calls he made for me have not been answered.
post #40 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solkool
You guys have answered some questions that have popped up but here is another one. Does anyone know for a certainty that nothing else runs through the head unit/radio? I also have the stock unit and want to change it asap BUT my Pontiac service manager has alluded to other things that run through the radio, not just the turn signal indicator sound and the door chimes. Have been waiting a week now and the calls he made for me have not been answered.
Well, I did check to see if I could still scroll through the DIC functions with the radio disconnected. No problems there. The DIC info gets displayed on the radio on some GM cars, but not ours, so I didn't expect it to be affected.

post #41 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWK4U
Well, I did check to see if I could still scroll through the DIC functions with the radio disconnected. No problems there. The DIC info gets displayed on the radio on some GM cars, but not ours, so I didn't expect it to be affected.
excellent news bro. Thanks for all of your efforts.
post #42 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 04:25 PM

Inner Workings

Thank you so much for posting these pics, I love to get a look at the inner workings of the dash and displays. You said that it would take some 'fiberglass work' to move things around, but from the look of the components everything would be 'do-able'.
Such a tight fit for the components, do you have a background in assembly or manufacturing? Where did you learn to do the disassembly?

Keep it up, and keep us posted on what you’re doing.

Thanks
post #43 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

I've pretty much taken apart every toy I've gotten my hands on since I was strong enough to turn a screwdriver. I've sucessfully put them all back together as well... I'm pretty sure at least. I guess you could say I'm "mechanically inclined."

I also worked a few years as a "professional" stereo/alarm installer before I joined the AF... and I've tackled a few other "amateur" installs before and since that job.

post #44 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Founding Member

Nice job, 2KWK ... I've been hoping for somebody to get the time and motivation to dig in there for a while. At some point, I hope to replace the airbag light altogether as well ... possibly with some other switch panel or as you mentioned, a radar display. Did you see what holds it to the dash? Is it one or more screws or could you describe the way it's mounted as best you can? I just unplugged the light on mine as a temporary fix, but one of these days, I'm sure I'll be looking for a more permanent solution and am curious if it would be feasible to remove it from the instrument panel access area instead of pulling the dash. Any thoughts?

We're definitely on the same wavelength here ... that and the bright highbeam indicator bugged me too. I stopped short of pulling the tach/speedo needles too ... I'm thinking I may just custom fit a piece of dark tint over the plexi in front of that light for now. Let us know if you come up with anything else on that front.
post #45 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Founding Member

Garage
I um... don't ever have my high-beams on often or for very long... so I can't see it bothering me.

2009 Solstice GXP | Wicked with all the trimmings, including Solo exhaust, DDM Stage I brake kit, low flow catback, CAI, GM Stage II tune, DDMWorks brace package, Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires, and a from-scratch stereo install.

Sean + Molly Photographers
concART | Concert Photography
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode