Dove into the dashboard... pics and info inside - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortimir
I um... don't ever have my high-beams on often or for very long... so I can't see it bothering me.
I didn't even think about that. So he's that guy with the high beams on.

Serene will be a color! Even if only on one car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlySol
Nice job, 2KWK ... I've been hoping for somebody to get the time and motivation to dig in there for a while. At some point, I hope to replace the airbag light altogether as well ... possibly with some other switch panel or as you mentioned, a radar display. Did you see what holds it to the dash? Is it one or more screws or could you describe the way it's mounted as best you can? I just unplugged the light on mine as a temporary fix, but one of these days, I'm sure I'll be looking for a more permanent solution and am curious if it would be feasible to remove it from the instrument panel access area instead of pulling the dash. Any thoughts?

We're definitely on the same wavelength here ... that and the bright highbeam indicator bugged me too. I stopped short of pulling the tach/speedo needles too ... I'm thinking I may just custom fit a piece of dark tint over the plexi in front of that light for now. Let us know if you come up with anything else on that front.

The first picture in this thread shows you exactly how the airbag status indicator is mounted. It's two little screws/bolts. You might be able to get them out without pulling the IP trim off. The heads are 7mm (or 9/32"). You can probably color directly over where the high beam indicator is on the surface of the plastic sheet that has the speedo, tach, etc faces printed on it. It's pretty easy to pull the plexiglass cover off of the gauge cluster. Might not even have to take the gauge cluster out to do it... but you WOULD have to remove the big IP trim piece.

'06 #101409 - Sold to move to Germany

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

Stored AGAIN for two years instead of bringing it to Russia
post #48 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWK4U
The first picture in this thread shows you exactly how the airbag status indicator is mounted. It's two little screws/bolts. You might be able to get them out without pulling the IP trim off. The heads are 7mm (or 9/32"). You can probably color directly over where the high beam indicator is on the surface of the plastic sheet that has the speedo, tach, etc faces printed on it. It's pretty easy to pull the plexiglass cover off of the gauge cluster. Might not even have to take the gauge cluster out to do it... but you WOULD have to remove the big IP trim piece.
Cool, thanks ... I missed that thread. I don't think it would be too big of a deal to pull that airbag light if it's just those two bolts. I didn't bother trying to actually take it out since I didn't have anything to replace it with anyway, but I was able to get my hand back there, so a ratchet should be able to get those suckers off. Knowing the size will help since I won't have to fumble with it blindly for multiple tries. Thanks for the info.

As for the highbeam indicator, I got to that through the instrument guage cluster without actually pulling the dash also ... I got the plexi off in addition to the small black spacer behind it and they can both come out through that same hole if you turn them right. But I don't want to actually darken anything permanently. I tried putting a small piece of tint directly over the indicator light, but the stuff I had didn't seem to help much, so I may try getting some limo black tint or something for it if I don't come up with something better.
post #49 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Founding Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang
I didn't even think about that. So he's that guy with the high beams on.
I mean, seriously... my high-beam driving time probably consists of 0.01% of my total driving time.

I WANT it in my face... I want to know it's on so I don't keep it on like an ass when someone comes head on or I come to an intersection.

2009 Solstice GXP | Wicked with all the trimmings, including Solo exhaust, DDM Stage I brake kit, low flow catback, CAI, GM Stage II tune, DDMWorks brace package, Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires, and a from-scratch stereo install.

Sean + Molly Photographers
concART | Concert Photography
post #50 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
with Fortimir! I have a need to know if my brights are on.

I also have a need to know if my gas is low (as most members have already heard) so make THAT light brighter and bigger and make the bell LOUDER and make the gas gauge bigger.

I also have a need to know when my turn signal indicator is on. Make the arrow lights brighter and make the clicker louder.

PLEASE!

VIN...............6Y101319........................ 6Y115760
Name.........MariSOL Stice
Color..................Sly........................ ...Aggressive
Acquired.........10/15/2005.....................07/11/2014
Died...............02/25/2013
..............RIP, you wonderful car !!!!

Link to Gizmo's Odyssey photos- Gizmo's Odyssey Photo Thread

Link to Solli's Coast2Coast trip photos- https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ad-trip-20928/
post #51 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
I mean, seriously... my high-beam driving time probably consists of 0.01% of my total driving time.
Same here, but when I do have my high-beams on, it's usually because I'm on a very dark and desolate road where I'm driving kind of fast and want to be able to see as far ahead as possible ... which means I want my night-vision to be at its best. And when I have something bright shining in my eyes, it kills my peripheral vision at the edges of a dark road. Think of what you see walking into a room when you first turn out the lights versus the much improved view that you have once your eyes adjust to the darkness and your pupils dilate accordingly. That's the reason I usually dim my interior lights very low and it really helps me identify potential hazards just off the road much faster (thinking of animals and such that may dart out in front of me).
post #52 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo2004
I also have a need to know when my turn signal indicator is on. Make the arrow lights brighter and make the clicker louder.

Noooo! I was actually hoping they turned the volume down a bit on that damned clicker ... it kind of annoys me it seems so loud at low speeds and such.

But I guess I'm usually very attentive to such things as leaving blinkers on and dimming my high-beams ... any tiny little light on the dash seems to slap me in the face and draw my attention to it, so I don't like anything too bright/loud or it tends to annoy me. Hmm ... a volume adjust switch for the beeps/clicks might be nice so we could each suit our own taste.
post #53 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Founding Member

Garage
I guess it's just because I am so young and my vision is still top notch. :-)

2009 Solstice GXP | Wicked with all the trimmings, including Solo exhaust, DDM Stage I brake kit, low flow catback, CAI, GM Stage II tune, DDMWorks brace package, Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires, and a from-scratch stereo install.

Sean + Molly Photographers
concART | Concert Photography
post #54 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
I guess it's just because I am so young and my vision is still top notch. :-)
Nah ... that's not the problem ... I've got excellent vision, but it's just science that when you've got a light shining in your eyes, your pupils get smaller to allow less light in and that automatically reduces your ability to discern objects that are poorly lit. And no matter how good your vision is, that will have a negative impact on it. In fact, the effect will usually be even more pronounced on those with good vison than those who already start out with poor vision (relatively speaking, of course). Now if I were driving the speed limit, it probably wouldn't be that important, but when I'm going around 100 mph and starting to overdrive my headlights anyway, it becomes very important to have as much warning as possible about possible problems along the sides of the roads. Oh well ... not like it's that big of a deal, but it annoys me so I'll most likely try to find a solution that suits my taste.
post #55 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 06:40 AM

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
If this issue had already been seen and addressed before, why is it appearing again?

Read the update, I made a mistake. Guess I should double check and not go from memory all the time. It was the "MPH" indicator on the speedometer face on the 2004 GTO that certain owners found too bright and Pontiac came up with a reprogram for.

Hi-Beam indicator too bright for some can be the Solstice owners own issue with out having to share..

Last edited by Small Dealer; 11-17-2005 at 07:04 AM.
post #56 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Founding Member

Location: The avatar shows my motivation to work .... Work takes place in Houston, Republic of Texas .... Motivation takes place in CA, NV, UT, CO and similar locations with curvy roads through the mountains.
what a shame. none of the thumbnails appear anymore.

is there any way to view those important photos posted by 2kwk4u? would like to see how the dash was taken apart. thanks for any help/hope?
post #57 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 03:09 PM

I can see them fine...what he didn't show was how it actually came apart.
post #58 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
you're right, dorf.

i was on someone else's computer and the thumbnails box was empty.

i'm back on my computer and they all show up just fine.
post #59 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
A few months after this thread, I dove into my dash for a headunit replacement, and took a bunch of pics of taking it apart. It's the pink link in my signature below.

(Also known as Hal 9000)
"Emmaline" 5913 Envious/Ebony - loaded except base radio/no xm/polished
My Mod Page
How to lower your front license plate How to install an aftermarket headunit Upload your BEST pics here!
post #60 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztekzRpurty View Post
A few months after this thread, I dove into my dash for a headunit replacement, and took a bunch of pics of taking it apart. It's the pink link in my signature below.
thanks, that was an EXCELLENT presentation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode