Dove into the dashboard... pics and info inside - Page 5 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 09:19 AM

2KWK4U,

Could you give some steps and tricks for getting grey center piece off?

Any special tools or any what not to do's?

Is it a correct assumption the "IP trim piece" is the center grey piece in your pictures?

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWK4U View Post
Well, I finally found time to take the dash apart a bit. I'm a little disappointed in what I found out, but not that surprised.

We know that the warning chimes and turn signal noises play through the driver's front speaker. One thing I wanted to find out was if they go through the stereo first, or if the BCM sends signals straight to the speaker. This determines how easy it will be to replace the head unit. Well, it seems they go to the speaker THROUGH the head unit (and/or I would assume through the amp in the Monsoon system). With the head unit disconnected, the warning chimes and turn signal/hazard "clicks" go away. Look for a wiring adaptor to hit the market soon, if it hasn't already.

Another thing I was looking into was the possibility of moving the climate control panel down below a single-DIN aftermarket head unit in order to free up the space where the climate controls normally reside for additional gauges. No can do, at least not without way more fiberglass work than I care to do.

I DID have success with taming the airbag lights though. I'll start another thread on that.

Taking apart the dash is not for the faint-of-heart or those lacking the right tools/experience. The IP trim piece is somewhat of a headache to get loose, especially to the left of the stereo head unit. Once it is loose, the headache isn't over, because you have to unplug all of the switchgear from the backside, and get the shift boot and trim ring free (and free from each other, too) before you can take the IP trim out of the car.

Here are the some pics. If anyone has any questions, fire away. I have a few other pictures I took as well.

North Fort Worth Solstice #2020
Mine on: 12/10/2005 from Alan Young Dealership
Color: Deep, Steel/Sand, Hahn Turbo, and other good stuff.

Last edited by VIN2020; 12-02-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
2KWK4U; Man...nice work! Your either real brave, real crazy, or just have way too much time on your hands. If I tried something like this... Well let's just say the results would not be pretty. Anytime I fool with something that isn't broke, I break it. How long did your exploratory surgery take and did the patient survive? Any scars?
Just remember If it isnt broke and when you went to fix it ,you broke it, it wasnt meant to be fixed anyway. Old chinese proverb by won hung lo
post #63 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 05:42 PM

So, how do these panels come off? Are they just snapped into place?

Thanks, Dave Russell

Mallett #33
VIN #1G2MB35B27Y106697
Platinum Pearl over Deep
Ebony Leather

Custom Arelli
post #64 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIN2020 View Post
2KWK4U,

Could you give some steps and tricks for getting grey center piece off?

Any special tools or any what not to do's?

Is it a correct assumption the "IP trim piece" is the center grey piece in your pictures?

Thanks in advance

Yep, that's the piece I'm calling the instrument panel (IP) trim piece. I used a panel popper tool like this one:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

I wrapped that in an old t-shirt, so as not to scratch the plastic if it slipped. You can tell where the clips are by "feel/trial and error." Those clips are pretty tight, as you may know by now. Just take your time and be especially careful around the radio.

If memory serves, its best to take loose the trim ring around the gauges, and maybe even the gauge bezel piece before you pull the IP trim. There are 4 little rubber "feet" on the backside of that bezel piece that are easy to lose into the depths of the dash if you're not careful. Also, you should probably remove the shift boot ring before you pull that piece - the passenger's grab bar as well.

Last but not least, take your time. Good luck!
post #65 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbbers View Post
So, how do these panels come off? Are they just snapped into place?
Yep, everything but the grab handle is just held on with trim clips. The grab handle has two 10mm-head bolts that hold it to the dash beam structure. To get to those bolts, you have to pop a little panel loose. That panel is held in place by trim clips.
post #66 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 06:52 AM

Is the following true:
- Dash bezels must be remvoed
- Gear shift ring must be removed
- grab handle must be removed

All this before the IP?

post #67 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Yep, that's the piece I'm calling the instrument panel (IP) trim piece. I used a panel popper tool like this one:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
I never knew you could buy Snap-on Tools online! I don't know why, but the thought never occurred to me. I just got in the habit of running down the tool truck every time I saw one. This is a lot safer.

And just in time for Christmas too!
post #68 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIN2020 View Post
Is the following true:
- Dash bezels must be remvoed
- Gear shift ring must be removed
- grab handle must be removed

All this before the IP?
That's the way I did it... but then again, I just take things apart for kicks, too You may be able to do it in less steps.
post #69 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 07:39 PM

Thanks,

I did want to get in the situation where I was forcing something and then break it not realizing there was another step prior.

Quote:
That's the way I did it... but then again, I just take things apart for kicks, too You may be able to do it in less steps.

post #70 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 11:20 AM

Glove box removal?

Have you, or anybody else removed the glovebox? I need to get into that space to permanently mount my ipod controller module and hide all of my wires from my sirius installation as well as the wires from my ipod controller. Geez, after the dash, this little ditty should be a peice of cake.
A million bazillion thanks for the dash info and pics.

Quote:
Well, I finally found time to take the dash apart a bit. I'm a little disappointed in what I found out, but not that surprised.

We know that the warning chimes and turn signal noises play through the driver's front speaker. One thing I wanted to find out was if they go through the stereo first, or if the BCM sends signals straight to the speaker. This determines how easy it will be to replace the head unit. Well, it seems they go to the speaker THROUGH the head unit (and/or I would assume through the amp in the Monsoon system). With the head unit disconnected, the warning chimes and turn signal/hazard "clicks" go away. Look for a wiring adaptor to hit the market soon, if it hasn't already.

Another thing I was looking into was the possibility of moving the climate control panel down below a single-DIN aftermarket head unit in order to free up the space where the climate controls normally reside for additional gauges. No can do, at least not without way more fiberglass work than I care to do.

I DID have success with taming the airbag lights though. I'll start another thread on that.

Taking apart the dash is not for the faint-of-heart or those lacking the right tools/experience. The IP trim piece is somewhat of a headache to get loose, especially to the left of the stereo head unit. Once it is loose, the headache isn't over, because you have to unplug all of the switchgear from the backside, and get the shift boot and trim ring free (and free from each other, too) before you can take the IP trim out of the car.

Here are the some pics. If anyone has any questions, fire away. I have a few other pictures I took as well.
post #71 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonaked View Post
Have you, or anybody else removed the glovebox? I need to get into that space to permanently mount my ipod controller module and hide all of my wires from my sirius installation as well as the wires from my ipod controller. Geez, after the dash, this little ditty should be a peice of cake.
I'm pretty sure I did, but don't have any pictures to prove it. It's been over 10 months since I had the car, so my memory is getting a bit fuzzy. It should be simple to do, though. I'd bet you have to pull down the carpeted panel above the passenger's feet and look for some screws along a plastic piano hinge that holds the glove compartment door to the dash support beam. Also, there is probably a stop on each side that keeps the door from falling completely open. Those should simply twist out. If memory serves, there's a little string/rope attached to one of those that goes to a damping mechanism so the door opens smoothly.

Again, though, this is all from my fuzzy memory. Your mileage may vary.
post #72 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonaked View Post
It is very easy to remove, but it's been a while, and it was so trivial I don't recall all the details, but I'll try.

I think all you need to do is open it, empty it, then squeeze the sides in a little to unhook the stops so it swings down a little farther, then disconnect the string that pulls it back up, then unhook the rear by pushing upwards. It takes about a minute.
post #73 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 06:49 AM

Radio security

I just spent a few anxious hours pulling the radio out of my Silverado to replace some burnt out lamps. Not only didn't get it done, I screwed it up more. The radio is an RDS type, so I tried to pull the face plate off without disconnecting the radio connectors. All I accomplished was to lose a few more lamps in the faceplate.
So, how did you get the radio out and back in again without activating the antitheft thingy? From what I read on the RDS radios, you have to take it to a dealer or have a dealers scan tool to reset the code. Is that no longer a problem?
post #74 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerist View Post
I just spent a few anxious hours pulling the radio out of my Silverado to replace some burnt out lamps. Not only didn't get it done, I screwed it up more. The radio is an RDS type, so I tried to pull the face plate off without disconnecting the radio connectors. All I accomplished was to lose a few more lamps in the faceplate.
So, how did you get the radio out and back in again without activating the antitheft thingy? From what I read on the RDS radios, you have to take it to a dealer or have a dealers scan tool to reset the code. Is that no longer a problem?
That's something I'm not sure about, but it doesn't sound right. If that were the case, every time you disconnect the battery, you would have to go to the dealer to get the radio reprogrammed. I'd say look in your owner's manual. I know in older GM cars with the "theftlock" system in the radios, the system wasn't even on until the owner activated it. Then it was a simple case of entering a 3-digit code on the station preset buttons if the radio was disconnected or lost power (i.e. when you disconnect or replace the car battery).
post #75 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 09:10 AM

Resurrecting the dead... I needed the info for a mod I am working on. Will try to post pictures when I get it done.

~GREY GHOST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode