Radio Gremlin? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Radio Gremlin?

Bought a 2007 GXP in 2017 when it had about 18,500 on it. It is now up to about 24,500. In the two years I've owned it's radio has started to act up... jumping stations for no apparent reason... then turning off completely... or staying on but the screen just goes blank. It is the original radio... stock model, I believe. Is this a common issue? Anyone else experience this? Am I just better off replacing the radio with something from Best Buy? Since I've had the car, I have had one other minor issue else (small piece from the canopy keeps falling off) but know, with a 11 year-old car, it will need to be fixed, here an there. Next up are new tires (it still has the original tires... tread is fine, but my guess is that they need to be replace for safety, sake)... or maybe a radio.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:55 PM

get a can of 'air' , and blow it into the aux input hole on the lower right side of the radio.
People have reported fuzz in that hole causing goofy things.

... might as well spray the air into the button crevices on the steering wheel too...

Sir William's Fleet
Mean 2007 NA 2007 Solstice ordered on 8/24/06 - Picked up on 12/12/06 - Totaled on 6/12/10
Mean 2008 GXP Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !
Deep 2009 NA Coupe Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
Mean 2009 GXP Coupe Acquired 8/27/16 with 9100 miles on it
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:09 PM

take the radio out, remove the front plate from the radio, reseat. put the radio back in it should work fine after. I had the same issues with mine and reseating the face plate fixed the issues

2009 Solstice GXP Wicked born 7/8/08-Solo stacked center, Norms rear valance, JPM seat belt holder - center console - shifter - lumbar support, ASAP fog light honeycomb covers, flash2pass, aeroforce gauges - Pro Beam, Backbone DDM, HID lights, LED dome lights, Shorty Antenna, Wind Restrictor v2, GMPP tune, Splash Guards, heated seats and 3 stooges under the hood
POCI - Little Rhody Chapter
http://kronus.us
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:07 PM

How old it your battery? Batteries cause a lot of issues on these cars when they start to get a bit weak...and radio issues a big problem.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:02 PM

I have a 2006 Solstice with 33,000 miles and my radio does the same thing, but only during hot weather. I just assumed it was over heating. During cooler weather I haven't had an issue. I will take the advice of blowing, and cleaning the radio. Thanks for the recommendation.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrygun View Post
I have a 2006 Solstice with 33,000 miles and my radio does the same thing, but only during hot weather. I just assumed it was over heating. During cooler weather I haven't had an issue. I will take the advice of blowing, and cleaning the radio. Thanks for the recommendation.
A thought on why blowing-out may help: Contamination will have greater effect when it is damp, and therefore more conductive. Cold weather tends to be dry, while hot weather tends to be humid, except of course in the desert, where it is just hot.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:14 AM

Yes, I have had the same problem with my car. Dealer replaced radio twice. Actually think the problem is the connection between the round knob and internal parts.

Would be interested if you purchase a new radio. I often consider getting a backup camera. Concerned that the dash or steering wheel lights might be harmed in the process.

Thanks
Darlene
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:51 AM

Interesting! I have had my '08 for a little more than a year now and have had the same issue a couple of times. I will try the compressed air first. The problem can take a month or more to surface so it could take a while to know if it works.

Pontiac lover & VietNam vet.
08 GXP 5speed Sly
69 Firebird 350 Carousel Red Convertible t-5
08 Grand Prix Ink Slate - Winter grocery getter
09 G8 Switchblade Silver- Summer daily driver
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:05 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
If I plug a USB charger into the cigarette lighter, even if nothing is plugged into said charger, I lose NPR (90.1 FM locally).

Shrug.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
If I plug a USB charger into the cigarette lighter, even if nothing is plugged into said charger, I lose NPR (90.1 FM locally).

Shrug.
What happens? Silence? Static? Or ... ?

John
Lexington, KY
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:49 PM

Garage
Silence. If I remove the charger, everything goes back to normal. And, it's only for that radio station. :/

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:17 PM

I just stumbled across this in my owner's manual:

Quote:
You may experience frequency interference and static during normal radio reception if items such as cellphone chargers, vehicle convenience accessories, and external electronic devices are plugged into the accessory power outlet. If there is interference or static, unplug the item from the accessory power outlet.
On a related note, if I am charging my phone and lay it in the passenger seat of my Equinox it will enable the airbag and the passenger seat belt warning will sound.

Switching power supplies do generate some high-frequency emissions. I guess that yours is at 90.1 Mhz.

John
Lexington, KY

Last edited by JohnWR; 04-29-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Enable used to be activate.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
...it will activate the airbag and the passenger seat belt warning will sound...
For some reason, I misread that as indicating that charging your phone would activate the airbag. That would be interesting.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Switching power supplies do generate some high-frequency emissions. I guess that yours is at 90.1 Mhz.
You know, I always thought that those accessory power supplies were just some silly voltage divider. Google indicates that I was wrong.

I learned something interesting on a Monday before my second cup of coffee. It's all down hill from here.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun View Post
For some reason, I misread that as indicating that charging your phone would activate the airbag. That would be interesting.
Yeah, that was a bad choice of word. Enable, maybe? And if it did that, "interesting" would be a major understatement!
raygun likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode