Rear speaker replacement mounting - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwvess00

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Rear speaker replacement mounting

Hello,

I'm swapping out the rear speakers in my '06 Solstice. I know that many argue that it's not worth it, but I have the new speakers in hand already so why not put them in?

The speakers should be mostly drop in -- 3.5" Kickers -- but I'm not sure about the easiest way to mount them.

I removed the rear panel and saw that GM heat-staked the originals in place. I have not yet removed them. I was thinking of sanding/grinding the heat stakes off of the speakers on the speaker flange just enough to remove the speaker. That would leave as much of the original post as possible.

What's the best way to mount the new ones? I don't think there's much "meat" there to drill for a screw. I could make a plastic mount, screw the speakers to that, and glue that mount to the posts. I'm concerned about mounting depth, though. Heck, I could just JB Weld the new speakers to the posts

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solstice_rear_speaker_heat_stake_2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	91285   Click image for larger version

Name:	solstice_rear_speaker_heat_stake_1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	91287  

Jay Vessels
2006 Solstice, Mysterious 5-speed
Lexington, KY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:26 PM

I have replaced mine, I just glued them in with Permatex. (I also think they are a waste of time too )

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Hello,

I did some work on this today. I used a 100 grit 3" sanding disc on my right-angle die grinder to cut/sand the stakes off of the speakers, then test-fitted the new speakers. Then I decided to just cut the posts off completely since they weren't helping anything. I cut the screw head off of some #8 screws, drilled holes in the black plastic backing on the trim panel, and used JB Weld to epoxy the studs into place. Once this cures I'll mount the speakers and see how it goes. I drilled the holes slightly undersized, put a drop of JB Weld in the hole, and threaded the studs into the holes. I then added a bit more epoxy around the stud. The studs are machine threads so they're not cutting much of a thread in the plastic, but it's enough to hold it in place while the epoxy sets.

When I took the passenger side trim piece out, the top of the black backing plastic was broken off, so that top clip and its surrounding plastic was missing. I'm the second owner of my car ('06 bought in '09) so I wonder if I'm not the first person to contemplate speaker replacement in my car...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solstice_rear_speaker_mounting_studs.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	91291  

Jay Vessels
Lexington, KY
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Hello,

To close the loop -- I finally had a chance to finish this. I agree that it was probably not worth it, unless the rears are bad.

From what I can tell, the black plastic that holds the rear speakers is polypropylene. I could not easily find a glue or epoxy that would stick to this stuff. Super glue, JB Weld, and Loctite epoxy for plastics (an off-white colored stuff when mixed) would peel right off. I found some specialty stuff online that might work. I didn't try it. I didn't want to keep throwing cash at this. Apparently that's not an easy plastic to glue.

I ended up getting some polypropylene welding rods and plastic welding the speakers in place. I used a piece of the plastic rod as a post, and heat-staked it in place with a butane soldering iron. That seemed to work.

When I tried them out, I noticed that my driver's side front speaker is bad. It definitely sound worse than the front passenger side one. I've been meaning to upgrade them too, so now I have a reason...

Jay Vessels
Lexington, KY
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 02:15 PM

So you didn't try my suggestion of permatex?

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

I should have asked which Permatex product you used. None of the products on their website said claimed that it would work on polypropylene and I was starting to get annoyed at how nothing wanted to stick to this stuff for very long. I went with the "this will work (or I'll ruin the part trying)" method instead

Jay Vessels
Lexington, KY
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:21 AM

Whether worth it or not (replacement 3.5" speakers) I did mine while I had my car partially apart to run the XM antenna wire. Combined with my head unit, there was a very noticeable and tangible difference. I got the Kicker 44KSC3504 3.5" as replacements. The originals were just a single cone (not even a "wizzer" cone) and, of course, cheap. I can't help with the mounting beyond what was already suggested as mine did come with posts. (and looking at it a 4" might have fit with some minor mods to the panel.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Barnes View Post
Whether worth it or not (replacement 3.5" speakers) I did mine while I had my car partially apart to run the XM antenna wire. Combined with my head unit, there was a very noticeable and tangible difference. I got the Kicker 44KSC3504 3.5" as replacements. The originals were just a single cone (not even a "wizzer" cone) and, of course, cheap. I can't help with the mounting beyond what was already suggested as mine did come with posts. (and looking at it a 4" might have fit with some minor mods to the panel.
Yup, that's what I installed. They definitely sound better than the stock ones.

Now to figure out what to do for the front speakers, since it sounds like my driver's side door speaker is bad. There are a lot more choices for door speakers, though...

Jay Vessels
Lexington, KY
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwvess00 View Post
Hello,

Yup, that's what I installed. They definitely sound better than the stock ones.

Now to figure out what to do for the front speakers, since it sounds like my driver's side door speaker is bad. There are a lot more choices for door speakers, though...
That there is... and apparently not every 6.75" or 6.5" fits according to Crutchfield. I got myself some Rockfords to go in mine (Rockford Fosgate P165-SE components w/external crossovers) as soon as I get around to it. They should also have a little more bottom end on their own than stock.

Alpine has some good all-around 6.5-6.75" components. Morel has some good stuff, but they can get expensive quick.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwvess00 View Post
When I took the passenger side trim piece out, the top of the black backing plastic was broken off, so that top clip and its surrounding plastic was missing. I'm the second owner of my car ('06 bought in '09) so I wonder if I'm not the first person to contemplate speaker replacement in my car...
Hey my top clip is broken too, what did you end up doing about that, just put the panel back on with no clip? If so, does it stay put pretty well? Thanks.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by volarium View Post
Hey my top clip is broken too, what did you end up doing about that, just put the panel back on with no clip? If so, does it stay put pretty well? Thanks.
I just put it back as-is. The rest of the clips hold it in place. On mine only the top was broken by a previous owner, so I don't have the broken part to try to glue or weld back in place.

If you have the pieces, you can melt them back together with something like a soldering iron. They make plastic welding rods and plastic welding tools as well.
volarium likes this.

Jay Vessels
Lexington, KY
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:18 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
how does the rear pannels come off? I dont want to break nutten...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:25 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
well I got to looken and figured they just had those push clips on them.the pas side was already undone on 2 of them( they were wadded up, 1 broken. I dont know why. I could see nothing that was done in there. so I changed speakers, fixed 1 clip and..made a back up shim for the other clip to keep it from just pushing through the panel stanchion. seems to of worked.it's back on and not sticking out like before. as for sound....oh well it's better than it was, I did door speakers too.I should of put the foam backing material behind them all.perhaps someday.but I just like nice sound going down the road, not so the guy in the next county can hear it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:54 AM

I did my door speakers & noticed a significant difference & i also used an Acoustic insulation kit Mark .I really couldn't tell if it helped or not as i did it the same time i swapped the speakers out. We need our tunes .
HONEYCOMBED DAMPING MATERIAL
Just like the acoustic foam inside a loudspeaker, the honeycombed damping material attenuates the speaker back wave and then increases the speaker performance.

Last edited by easyryderca; 04-23-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:03 PM

yup I know, but....I got in a hurry to hear the new speakers and...was bored. I need to order some dampners so next time I get bored I can finish the job off. I not sure I want to tackle the head unit,I used to do that for a living long ago. but this car is so pretty and scratch blemish free....I dont want to mess it up....but I also have major trust issues with other people touching my stuff....getten old sucks.cancer sucks worse and moron/scamming dr's& surgeons are even worse than that. then add them all togeather and.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode