The self proclaimed "official" Pioneer D3 install Thread" - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsims View Post
Morfious: You say you are getting good GPS reception--is this with the roof both up and down? Like the location, but hopefully when I install my system the installer can use the existing factory XM antenna. But if the connector does not work we will have to go to plan B.
Both, signal is great with top up or down. The signal has no trouble passing through the canvas and plastic that are above my GPS install location.

Quote:
You cite the location of the yellow wire detailed above and refer to it as the high signal wire and another wire as the low signal wire. Is one better than the other for connection to the AVIC-D3?
Not sure, and as stated above Crutchfield says the High signal (Yellow) wire is the better one to use, I don't know any better so I would use that. Accuracy has been great without using the VSS wire though on my limited testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtail View Post
I'll be doing my install today...I'll let you know if I can find any difference. Also, I have checked and it certaily looks like I'll be able to use the GM stock XM antenna with the new Pioneer XM tuner/receiver.
Regards,
vtail
Good luck there are some tight corners behind the dash. You may need a dremel to open up a few holes on the Dash trim kit to get it to install correcly. Let me know if you have any issues in using the illumination. I hooked up the orange ill wire to my GMOS-Lan_03 illumination wire, but no auto changing maps at night. I did not hook up the dimmer wire from the GMOS-Lan-03 so I'm not sure what is going on. Just something to be aware of or test before you put everything back together. Let me know how it turns out.

Mean GXP Delivered 1/30/2007 $MSRP +$2K

My Stereo Install--> Ultimate AVIC D3 Install thread

Team Solo Performance

Pioneer Avic D3 - Nav System
JL Audio ZR speakers, Alpine PDX 4.150 amp
Solo Performance Street Race exhaust & High Flo Cat
JPM custom interior (Shifter, wheel, console, handles & door panels)
Painted dash and windshield surround
Custom Valentine1 flush radar display
OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
DDM Works Big Brakes, Backbone, intake and intercooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
That's a good question! My installed is telling me that the GPS receiver has to be visible to the satellite to work. If we can just stick it anywhere internally in the car, that'd be great.
That is just not true--read many places where people installed both the XM and GPS antenna under a dash and no problems getting a good signal. Recommended that there be no metal panel above the antenna/s, but works best with metal panel below or use of the metal plate Pioneer provides to mount the antenna on.

2007 Cool GXP 5-Spd.:

-Full Interior Reupholstery
-Carbon Fiber Dash & Rear Panel
-Momo Shift Knob/Hand Brake/Floor Plates
-Gentex Rear View Mirror
-Norm's Cowl Panels & Side Skirts
-Aftershock Front Grill
-TSW Nogaro 19" Rims
-245/40ZR-19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx XL Tires
-Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors
-Magnaflow 3" Exhaust

Stereo Upgrade:
-Kenwood DNX8120
-Alpine PDX-4.150 Amp
-MB Quart QSD 216 6.5" Speakers
-8" Boston Sub
-Full Dynamat Extreme Interior
post #18 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Speaking of Crutchfield, where I purchased the AVIC-D3, was surprised I did not get the wiring harness and the dash mounting kit given they promote the fact that these are included in the sale. Asked them about this and they said they just did not have this for the Solstice at this time. Well if you can purchase them from Metra, Crutchfield should be able to as well. Not going to break me but.........

Post photos if you can of the VSS connection, and others if you can. You will be my hero and my installer's (may save me money on the install if they know going in the finer points of the installation).
I had actual part number for Crutchfield to look up. I got the Dash install kit, and the antenna adapter from them for free. I had to tell him what the part numbers were, but he added them to my order for free. They did not have the wiring harness (which is not needed if using the GMOS adapter) they also did not have the GMOS adapter.

Illumination wire still has me confused. I would love to hear from someone that has it working correctly. Wondering if it's a problem with my specific wiring or a limitation of the vehicle due to daytime running lamps.

EDIT Updated Info

I just tested and it seems I did have the incorrect wire connected to the illumination wire. The orange illumination wire from head unit should be connected to the orange and white wire from the GMOS-LAN-03 harness. The solid orange wire in the GMOS-LAN-03 harness can be cut and sealed off to prevent any shorts. I just tested this and it works perfectly. both by turning the headlights on manually as well an using the sensor.
Earlier post edited and updated to include the correct information.

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels

Last edited by Morfious; 05-05-2007 at 08:42 AM.
post #19 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

BTB200 and SIR-PNR2 (Bluetooth and Sirius Install)

Well today was more fun and excitement as I ripped apart my Solstice for the second half of the head unit upgrade. Here is how she looked with her interior ripped out for the second time, ready to start the day:

All that just to install this:

Things went fairly smoothly. After some test fitting and head scratching I decided to install the sirius unit behind the drivers seat trim panel. This worked out quite well as the hardest part was fishing the IP bus cable from the head unit to where I have the sirius installed. Few bloody knuckles, but all went according to plan. Here is the final resting place for the sirius adapter. I drilled 2 holes in the rear firewall and used a strip of HD velcro to hold the bottom of the unit firmly in place. I am confident that my unit will not come loose in adventurous driving conditions.

And here is a clearer shot of where I have the antennas installed. The reception is better in this location than it is in my Jeep (antennae is on the hood). Works great and I have had no issues with the unit while driving around today.

This install would have taken less time if I would have waited, but I'm impatient. Right now everything is working 100% and I am very happy. There are a few quirks with the Sirius adapter, (memo only works for songs not artists, and only 1 line display of info) but they are minor. Right now I have the bluetooth adapter tucked into the far right corner of the dash, to the right of the glove box. I may velcro it to the side if I see it is moving around, but right now it seems stable. The microphone wire was snaked across the dashboard and up the drivers side windsheild pillar. I could figure out no great mounting options for the microphone so I taped it into the cutout for the onstar microphone. It seems to be working just fine and the people I talk to on the phone say they can hear me without problems. The bluetooth was easy to set up and I was able to transfer several of my contacts at one time over to the unit. I still have to read the manual to see all of the options and settings, but it's working and that's what's important.

All connections for constant 12v were made at the radio harness, (blinker relay, Sirius, BTB200) I am quite happy and hope that my instructions and tips here make things easier and more understandable for others. The Speaker and amp upgrade will come at the end of the summer (as long as no other catastrophes come about first).

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels

Last edited by Morfious; 05-05-2007 at 09:16 PM.
post #20 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 07:02 AM

Priceless!

Great job Morfious...If you plan on doing this install, these posts are priceless! I have finally completed my install and will be adding a couple of my notes in a few days.

Morfious...your location for the GPS antenna is pure genius!!! After ripping my car apart, there is not another location better suited for the antenna. Reception is perfect top up or down. A truly great find!

Regards,
vtail

Waiting for my GXP!...It's here...It's awesome!
post #21 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Morfious...your location for the GPS antenna is pure genius!!! After ripping my car apart, there is not another location better suited for the antenna. Reception is perfect top up or down. A truly great find!

Regards,
vtail
Thanks for the heads up. I anxiously await your VSS wire install. I doubt I will tie into that any time soon as navigation is great without it. Perhaps later on when the amps and new speakers go in I will try again. Using your pictures here (haha).

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
post #22 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 03:21 PM

I know im the only sucker with factory base everything. No steering wheel controls, no onstar, etc.

Can someone tell me which of these parts I need to install the Avic D3? I dont think Id need any harness would I since it's just the base without onstar?

Any help would be great, Im trying to do it myself because im to poor to pay someone.
post #23 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRacingZX6R View Post
I know im the only sucker with factory base everything. No steering wheel controls, no onstar, etc.

Can someone tell me which of these parts I need to install the Avic D3? I dont think Id need any harness would I since it's just the base without onstar?

Any help would be great, Im trying to do it myself because im to poor to pay someone.
In your case just get the Avic-D3 and the Metra 71-204 harness which plugs into the factory harness. You will only lose the click of the turn signals and the door open chimes. Even with the GMOS-LAN-04 or 03...the turn signal click is so soft it is almost unhearable anyway. If you want to keep the chimes and turn signals...just get the Metra GMOS-LAN-03 harness instead of the 71-204.

Good luck!
vtail

Waiting for my GXP!...It's here...It's awesome!

Last edited by vtail; 05-06-2007 at 06:24 PM.
post #24 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
In your case just get the Avic-D3 and the Metra 71-204 harness which plugs into the factory harness. You will only lose the click of the turn signals and the door open chimes. Even with the GMOS-LAN-04 or 03...the turn signal click is so soft it is almost unhearable anyway. If you want to keep the chimes and turn signals...just get the Metra GMOS-LAN-03 harness instead of the 71-204.

Good luck!
vtail
Awesome. Saves me money at least hahaha. I dont have the chimes when my door opens.. lol. I have the very base solstice you can get I think. Only additional part is the AC. But roll up windows, no power locks, nothing else. Even the lame base speakers. But hey its a roadster, sometimes you gotta make sacrafices for the things you love.

And just so I know, does the plastic outer covering to make it look like it belongs in the dash, does that come with the avic kit, or is that ordered seperately from GM?

Thanks for responding!

Last edited by CDRacingZX6R; 05-06-2007 at 07:05 PM.
post #25 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 AM

Morfious,

Great install! I have a few questions, though, because I'm going to be installing a Bluetooth JVC head unit and a Sirius reciever next week. First, is it easy to get the back panel behind the seats out? Second, did you install the magnetic pad for your antenna yourself? Is it just a piece of metal that you attached to the top of the center console? And lastly, was it easy to fish and attach the microphone for your Bluetooth in the A pillar where the On Star microphone slits are? I don't have On Star, but I'd love to mount my microphone there.

Thanks for the pics. That's a great place to mount the Sirius tuner!
post #26 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 AM

Well I finally got mine installed, and I love it! They were able to put the Sirius box in the same spot the XM box was, and hook the XM antenna up without any modifications to it (so they say). I think the XM antenna acutally gives me better sirius reception than my other car, who was always cutting out when I drove under bridges. It's a shame you only get 1 line of info for Sirius, though

I am kind of annoyed by the automatic dimming of this thing, though. It seems it was hooked up to the headlight wire, so when the headlights go on, the radio automatically dims. Which is fine for nighttime driving, but during the day, if it's a little overcast, the headlights will automatically come on, and the display dims, making it hard to read.

Also annoyed that the first time you switch to the nav after turning on the car, you always get that nag screen and have to press OK. Is there a way to permanently get rid of that screen?

On a similar note, every time I turn on the car, i get a message saying that the unit is not hooked up to the emergency brake correctly. I am assuming this is because my installers did a bypass or something? I didn't ask them to, but I was able to play a DVD without having the emergency brake on. That's cool, I guess, but that message sure is annoying.

Last edited by solinari6; 05-07-2007 at 07:51 AM.
post #27 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRacingZX6R View Post
And just so I know, does the plastic outer covering to make it look like it belongs in the dash, does that come with the avic kit, or is that ordered seperately from GM?

Thanks for responding!
The extra dash kit is Metra - 95-3302 (Double din dash install kit) that is a seperate from most places. If you order from crutchfield give them the part numbers for the dash kit and antennae adapter and they will throw it in for free. If you do not plan to use the GMOS harness I have the basic wiring harness I can give you for cheap as well. I ordered it not realizing that the GMOS harness woud take its place. The harness is nice since you can wire it up to the Pioneer harness in the basement and just plug it into the dash. Easy to change or upgrade since there is no tie in to the cars wiring. Just shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex View Post
Morfious,

Great install! I have a few questions, though, because I'm going to be installing a Bluetooth JVC head unit and a Sirius reciever next week. First, is it easy to get the back panel behind the seats out? Second, did you install the magnetic pad for your antenna yourself? Is it just a piece of metal that you attached to the top of the center console? And lastly, was it easy to fish and attach the microphone for your Bluetooth in the A pillar where the On Star microphone slits are? I don't have On Star, but I'd love to mount my microphone there.

Thanks for the pics. That's a great place to mount the Sirius tuner!
The back panel is quite easy to get out. You have to take the rear side panels off first)the panel that houses the rear speakers). The entire back panel is just held on with panel pins, so just tug gently and it will come right out. Slightly more difficult is to get it back into place. Once you line up a few pins it goes right in though.

The magnetic pad came with my D3. It is supposed to help with reception of the GPS antennas, but it worked out fine to hold both antennas in my install. You could probably find a thin piece of sheet metal and put on some double sided tape for a similar effect if you are not getting the D3.

The mike routing was a bit difficult. I ran the wire across the dashboard underneath the gage cluster. You will see where to pull up the microphone when you take off the A pillar. I could not figure a real solid way to mount the mike with screws so I just taped it into position with electrical tape. There is a ridge in the back of the A pillar where it will fit quite nicely. I did not have onstar either and this seemed like the best place. Everyone I have spoken to on the bluetooth adapter says I sound fine (farther away then when using the handset, but no difficulty hearing me at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
Also annoyed that the first time you switch to the nav after turning on the car, you always get that nag screen and have to press OK. Is there a way to permanently get rid of that screen?

On a similar note, every time I turn on the car, i get a message saying that the unit is not hooked up to the emergency brake correctly. I am assuming this is because my installers did a bypass or something? I didn't ask them to, but I was able to play a DVD without having the emergency brake on. That's cool, I guess, but that message sure is annoying.
There is no way to get rid of the HIT OK to Continue screen. Every nav system I have seen has this, there must be some legal reason for it.

Try one thing before you take it back to the shop. Hold down the reset button on the front of the unit. If the bypass is done correctly this will get rid of the improper emergency brake notice. If a reset does not work then the shop just grounded your parking brake and did not perform the bypass correctly. I have a proper bypass and am able to search for POI and watch videos while driving. I get no messages about improper installation. Just a word of caution, if your video works now, it may not in 100 miles or so. Hopefully the reset will fix things for you.

Bypass AVIC D3 information

I take no responsibility for what you do with this information and it may be illegal to do in your state. I am just passing on information that I have found.

Bypass for this unit is quite easy. First you have to ground the parking brake wire. This will make the D3 think that you have your parking brake on at all times. I used the ground wire in the wiring harness.

Second locate the Yellow wire with a black stripe in the Avic Harness. It's on the plug with all the red and white stereo plugs. If you look at the white plastic plug you will notice an empty slot right above this wire. Using a small screwdriver pry up the plastic plug and pull out the wire. Replace it into the hole directly above. Ground this wire as well with the parking brake wire. Hook everything up and hit reset on the front of the unit. You are now bypassed. Here is a picture from the AVIC 411 forums for clarity.

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels

Last edited by Morfious; 05-07-2007 at 06:57 PM.
post #28 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:31 PM

I should have looked in this thread before posting a new thread about the VSS location.

Sorry, but it wouldnt let me search VSS for some reason.

I have the automatic transmission, would my VSS wire location be the same. Drivers side, ECU? Under the 3 caps?

Since the manual has 2 options, hi speed, etc. Would the auto probably have this as well?

Last edited by CDRacingZX6R; 05-13-2007 at 06:49 PM.
post #29 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:01 AM

Anyone? I gotta take it back in a 3 this afternoon Pacific time.. any help would be appricated....
post #30 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 AM

I did this install myself also. The VSS wire on the NA auto trans is on the ECU. Of the three plugs, it's the one on the bottom so you will have to remove all three. Cut into the sheathing to reveal all the various wires and it's the solid yellow wire you want to tap. Good luck. It's pretty easy.

2007 Mean NA Solstice/UpShield/Lil' Chromies/Rear Debadged/Pioneer Avic-D3 Nav/DVD/Infinity Kappa component set/Coming soon: Amp and sub/Fujita CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode