The self proclaimed "official" Pioneer D3 install Thread" - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

You should be able to get credit for that since it is the wrong part. I just checked the manual and the GMOS-LAN-04 will work in your case.

Here are 2 places to get it from that I found quickly.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=9970

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-GMOSLAN0.../dp/B000K4YOKI

Mean GXP Delivered 1/30/2007 $MSRP +$2K

My Stereo Install--> Ultimate AVIC D3 Install thread

Team Solo Performance

Pioneer Avic D3 - Nav System
JL Audio ZR speakers, Alpine PDX 4.150 amp
Solo Performance Street Race exhaust & High Flo Cat
JPM custom interior (Shifter, wheel, console, handles & door panels)
Painted dash and windshield surround
Custom Valentine1 flush radar display
OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
DDM Works Big Brakes, Backbone, intake and intercooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 05:45 PM

Thanks Morf. My wife is otw to Fry's right now to pick up the right one. If this works I'm going to upset the whole neighborhood with hoots of joy!

Since my entire dash is back together right now, I'll take pics and post them up. Maybe I'll do it tonight since I already have the GPS and reverse light line ran. If not today, then I'm leaving work early tomorrow to do this!

EDIT: Well, Fry's doesn't have it, so it's being ordered right now. Ugh!

'06 Pure Sol: Kappashield, lil Chromies, Pioneer AVIC-x920BT, M1 wheels, blacked out grille, SOLO from head to tail with Norm's sweet center exit diffuser. DDM Stage II (#13, eat it bad luck)! God it's fast now!
TEAM DDMWORKS
License Plate: PURSOL

Last edited by Pure-Sol; 05-20-2007 at 05:52 PM.
post #48 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfious View Post
You should be able to get credit for that since it is the wrong part. I just checked the manual and the GMOS-LAN-04 will work in your case.

Here are 2 places to get it from that I found quickly.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=9970

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-GMOSLAN0.../dp/B000K4YOKI
Just an update to this fiasco of my wire harness... Autotoys is possibly the worst company I've ever had to deal with. They took over a week to process my order, and didn't respond to any inquiries until I told them to cancel my order. Of course, when they saw that they made some junk about them being backed up or whatever. I can understand being backed up, but no response at all to my questions about my order is ridiculous!

Anyways, hopefully my harness will be here before this weekend. When it finally gets here, I'll be sure to post up pics of the install!

'06 Pure Sol: Kappashield, lil Chromies, Pioneer AVIC-x920BT, M1 wheels, blacked out grille, SOLO from head to tail with Norm's sweet center exit diffuser. DDM Stage II (#13, eat it bad luck)! God it's fast now!
TEAM DDMWORKS
License Plate: PURSOL
post #49 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:24 PM

Just got my car back from the installer today--all the posts in this thread, and others detailing everything from pulling the dash apart, pulling door panels, details for wiring, etc. were a great help for the installer. Also provided the installer my new workshop manual as well to help with the install. Really took the mystery out of the install for him. They do a lot of install work but this was the first Solstice so again, with all the info I provided him from this thread and other install threads in a concise Word document with color pictures saved me money (material & time shop) and less chance for screw ups.

Very pleased with the results, such an improvement in sound quality. Need some adjustments--a bit too bright for my tastes, but that is adjustable. The MB Quart speakers are sooo clear and accurate.

Will posts photos of the install once we get back from my fishing trip to the East Cape of Baja this next week. Dynamat Extreme for the full inside--floors, back wall, trans tunnel, sub enclosure, and doors. Took a full bulk pack and a few more strips to get it all covered. Also photos of the VSS wire connection. Alpine amp mounted behind driverís seat with front coming through the back wall. Mounted low on the wall where the depth is the greatest and no problems with seat travel, air ventilation--and no loss of truck space. The large MB Quart crossovers mounted behind the driver side back wall but do not punch through the wall like the amp. Installer used the existing threaded studs that the Monsoon amp were mounted with to bolt a 3/4" thick piece of MDF for mounting the amp.

New XM/Nav receiver mounted in factory location and used the existing factory XM antenna. GPS antenna mounted where others have installed it--on the top of the storage box on the back side of the waterfall. Very good signal.

Had a Boyo backup camera/license plate frame installed--great backup view! Installer said the mounting bolts were a nighmare--the bolts are recessed into the frame so it cannot be unbolted from the outside--but threading a nut on from the inside was a major time problem for them--took them at least an hour or so to complete this. Knew it made sense for me not to do this--getting to old for the install game.

Installer said they contacted the Pioneer tech folks who said there is a definite order for connecting the bluetooth adapter and the XM receiver to the H/U if you want the best results--they Daisy Chain together before connecting to the head unit, but the order in which you Daisy Chain is important. Believe my installer said the bluetooth then XM then to head unit. Will confirm.

They wired up my Gentex inside rear view mirror with auto dimming, Homelink, compass, outside temp & map light. Works like the factory one with the map light staying on for a short period of time after turning off the ignition and existing the car. Now to program the Homelink--no more separate garage door remote that I have to lock up in the glove box when parking and leaving the top down.

Love the iPod direction connection and operation with the head unit. Just have to remember to lock the glove box up. Sound is great. Do not like the fact the song starts from the beginning once turning off the ignition and then starting the car back up. Possible there is a work around on this.

Have to finish packing for the fishing trip and cut this off, but will be bringing the operation manual with me on the trip for some reading--this H/U does so much and so many things to learn to operate it efficiently. Very happy with this H/U--love it! Thanks to all for the input.

2007 Cool GXP 5-Spd.:

-Full Interior Reupholstery
-Carbon Fiber Dash & Rear Panel
-Momo Shift Knob/Hand Brake/Floor Plates
-Gentex Rear View Mirror
-Norm's Cowl Panels & Side Skirts
-Aftershock Front Grill
-TSW Nogaro 19" Rims
-245/40ZR-19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx XL Tires
-Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors
-Magnaflow 3" Exhaust

Stereo Upgrade:
-Kenwood DNX8120
-Alpine PDX-4.150 Amp
-MB Quart QSD 216 6.5" Speakers
-8" Boston Sub
-Full Dynamat Extreme Interior

Last edited by russsims; 06-03-2007 at 10:38 PM.
post #50 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsims View Post
Love the iPod direction connection and operation with the head unit. Just have to remember to lock the glove box up. Sound is great. Do not like the fact the song starts from the beginning once turning off the ignition and then starting the car back up. Possible there is a work around on this.
Hmm, that's really strange, i have the same stereo with the direct ipod connection, and mine picks up exactly where it left off when I turn the stereo on.
post #51 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
Hmm, that's really strange, i have the same stereo with the direct ipod connection, and mine picks up exactly where it left off when I turn the stereo on.
Mine works this way as well. it remembers where it left off. I can' twait to see the VSS pictures as well as the amp install.

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
post #52 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 01:09 PM

why do you need the relay for the blinker sound? Is it built into the factory HU originally? Do the clicks sound the same with the added relay on the aftermarket unit?

I'm looking to get the D3 and install it myself. Just need a little info before jumping the gun and spending money.

chris
post #53 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low2s2u View Post
why do you need the relay for the blinker sound? Is it built into the factory HU originally? Do the clicks sound the same with the added relay on the aftermarket unit?

I'm looking to get the D3 and install it myself. Just need a little info before jumping the gun and spending money.

chris
The blinker clicks are built into the head unit or the signal for it at least. When you remove it they will be removed as well. The GMOS harness will add back the signal, but you need the relay to actually make the clicking sound. It sounds very much like the orig blinker sound, possibly a bit quieter. Installation was very easy, it took me longer to find the correct Relay from NAPA auto parts. Power and ground can be tapped from the stereo harness.

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
post #54 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 PM

Brake Wire, Reverse wire location

Quote:
Well all this week Crutchfield has sent me a different part and I had boxes at my door everyday. With this I was able to start work on my stereo upgrade. So without further adieu:

The "typical Before Pic"

Most of the bolts were 10mm or 9/32 for the smaller ones. A few extensions and a swivel head are really needed for some of the more hard to reach areas. This is the look of things after the planning stage and starting to rip everything apart. The dash pulled apart quite easily with some force. Just be gentle and work your way around, you will be fine. Quick note, you do NOT need to remove the shifter as the instructions say to get the IP trim off. If you turn the shifter ring so it faces vertically you can slide the IP trim over the shifter boot and keep it in place. My shifter was held in with blue locktite and no allen key I had was going to touch it.

Now on to the really fun part the wiring harness. I know my way around a soldering iron and have a minor knowledge of schematics and how to read them. I took all the harnesses into the basement and started connecting it all up. It went fairly easy, until I started making changes and re-reading that some wires need extra 12 volt accessory connections etc. What I did in the end (day 2 at 7:30 am) was make a pigtail with 5 ends tapped into the 12v accessory line of the after market harness as well as do the same for the ground. This turned out to be a great method although it looks a bit messy. Wire ties and electrical tape were used to try and keep things in good order. I also tested each component (with the radio in my lap) prior to install just to make sure everything was A-OK.

EDIT - When making your pigtail tap a few extra lines off the yellow battery line as well. Sirius, Bluetooth, and the blinker relay should be run from a constant 12v source

ILLUMINATION WIRE - Note the included instructions for the GMOS-LAN-03 adapter are incorrect regarding the illumination wire. The orange and white (dimmer) wire from the GMOS adapter should be hooked up to the orange illumination wire in the head unit harness. This will provide the correct day/night mode navigation operation. The extra solid orange wire in the GMOS harness may be cut short and capped off. (In the picture below the incorrect wire is attached. The orange and white wire on the far left is the correct wire to attach.)
[end edit]

Where are the reverse wire located?, how did you tap into the brake wire. It appears that a button impresses or depresses when using the parking brake on a manual soltics/sky. Anyone can answer this.
post #55 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrylba View Post
Where are the reverse wire located?, how did you tap into the brake wire. It appears that a button impresses or depresses when using the parking brake on a manual soltics/sky. Anyone can answer this.
I removed the rear inner fender well and tied into the reverse light. You just need a wire that sends a signal when the car is in reverse. There may be a connector in the passenger footwell (green wire if I remember correctly) in the main harness going to the rear of the vehicle.

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
post #56 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I removed the rear inner fender well and tied into the reverse light. You just need a wire that sends a signal when the car is in reverse. There may be a connector in the passenger footwell (green wire if I remember correctly) in the main harness going to the rear of the vehicle.
The reverse wire can be found in the passenger footwell. The harness is headed to the rear and it contains the lt. green wire. This is where I tapped for the camera.

More good info from Morfious!

Good luck.

vtail

Waiting for my GXP!...It's here...It's awesome!
post #57 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:09 PM

just started my install tonight. i have a question. on the relay for the blinker,it looks like 3&4 are the coil, 1 & 3 are n/o and 1 and 5 are n/c . can anybody tell me what wires and where they are to term this relay. thanks
post #58 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

The wiring instructions can be found in the instructions for the GMOS-Lan-03 harness. I believe you use pins labeled 85 and 87. One gets constant power and the other gets grounded. If you can wait i can pull up the istructions and let you know which is wihich. If you are using a different relay you would use the normally open connection.

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
post #59 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 AM

Quote:
The wiring instructions can be found in the instructions for the GMOS-Lan-03 harness. I believe you use pins labeled 85 and 87. One gets constant power and the other gets grounded. If you can wait i can pull up the istructions and let you know which is wihich. If you are using a different relay you would use the normally open connection.
thanks , i am using the GMOS-LAN-04 harness and the NAPPA relay
post #60 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

After some quick searching I do NOT think you need a relay for the GMOS-LAN-04 harness. It is only needed for the GMOS-Lan-03 harness. The blinker clicks should work fine once the adapter is installed.

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode