The self proclaimed "official" Pioneer D3 install Thread" - Page 5 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 113 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 PM

thats what the instructions are telling me but i guess ill find out for sure in the morning when i get done with the install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Excellent thread on the installation. Thank you very much.

I got a little lost with all of the information that I have seen so far both here and other web sites about the VSS. At another web site someone told me that there isn't a VSS in the vehicle, so I don't know what to believe anymore.

I have a 2.4L Sky with the manual transmission, onstar, monsoon, and buttons on the steering wheel. Does anyone know of a similar Solstice/Sky that actually hooked up their AVICs to a VSS wire? If so, what did they connect it to?

Also, from what I gather in the thread, there is NO harness that connects the radio to the car AND allows for the steering wheel buttons to work. Besides the harness connector (which ever one you need for onstar, monsoon, etc) you need to ALSO connect some other device to get the steering wheel buttons to work. Is that correct? If so, what are the options to get the steering wheel buttons to work?

I have a AVIC-Z2 in my Sky that was installed yesterday. NOW I find this thread a day late, just my luck. I don't have the VSS hooked up and my steering wheel buttons don't work.
post #63 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbdlatc
Hello:

Excellent thread on your installation. Thank you very much.

I have a 2.4L Sky with the manual transmission. Do you know anyone that has a similar Solstice/Sky that actually hooked up their AVICs to a VSS wire? If so, what did they connect it to?
The Base and Redline/GXP have different VSS lines.

2.4l w/ MT: VSS is mounted at the left rear of the transmission.
VSS High Signal is YE wire, terminated on Connector C3, Terminal 66 of the ECM
VSS Low Signal is PU wire, terminated on Connector C3, Terminal 67 of the ECM

C1 is BU with BK case
C2 is BK
C3 is GY with BK case

2.4l w/ AT: OSS is mounted at the right rear of the transmission.
OSS High Signal is YE wire, terminated on Terminal F1 of the TCM
OSS Low Signal is PU wire, terminated on Terminal F2 of the TCM

2.0 with Manual Trans GXP:
VSS High signal Yellow wire to Pin 53 of connector C2 (58 Pins) of ECM
VSS Low signal Purple wire to pin 40 of connector C2 (58 Pins) of ECM

I can explain the codes a bit better if you are confused. From all accounts the yellow wire seems to be the better one to hook up.

Quote:
Also, from what I gather in the thread, there is NO harness that connects the radio to the car AND allows for the steering wheel switches to work. Is that correct? If so, what are the options to get the steering wheel buttons to work.
Yes that is correct you need 2 harnesses. The proper GMOS-Lan harness will keep the onstar etc. The Swi-PS harness will keep the steering wheel functionality. It is fairly easy to hook up, but will require you to rip apart the dash again since you need to tap wires in the radio harness.

Quote:
I have a AVIC-Z2 in my Sky (installed yesterday, NOW I find your thread a day late, just my luck) and don't have the VSS hooked up and my steering wheel buttons don't work.
The VSS wire is not mandatory, but it can make navigation a bit more correct, mine is not currently hooked up. The Swi-PS adapter will allow you to keep the steering wheel controls and is highly recommended it works great!.

Mean GXP Delivered 1/30/2007 $MSRP +$2K

My Stereo Install--> Ultimate AVIC D3 Install thread

Team Solo Performance

Pioneer Avic D3 - Nav System
JL Audio ZR speakers, Alpine PDX 4.150 amp
Solo Performance Street Race exhaust & High Flo Cat
JPM custom interior (Shifter, wheel, console, handles & door panels)
Painted dash and windshield surround
Custom Valentine1 flush radar display
OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
DDM Works Big Brakes, Backbone, intake and intercooler

Last edited by Morfious; 08-22-2007 at 05:03 PM.
post #64 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 11:49 AM

Morfious,
I was just poking around on Crutchfield's site and set the filter to an '07 Sol and it indicates that both the AVIC-D3 or the AVIC-Z2 don't fit. Do they say that if the unit requires an install kit to dress up the dash? Obviously you have the D3 installed so there isn't a big clearance issue.
post #65 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcoxjr View Post
I did this install myself also. The VSS wire on the NA auto trans is on the ECU. Of the three plugs, it's the one on the bottom so you will have to remove all three. Cut into the sheathing to reveal all the various wires and it's the solid yellow wire you want to tap. Good luck. It's pretty easy.
I've been watching this thread and some threads at other websites that contradict that there is even a VSS wire on the SKY that the -Z2 can use, as opposed to some sort of DATA transmisson wire that sends speed information that the -Z2 can NOT use.

Could you please verify that you actually hooked up, or know someone that actually hooked up, the VSS wire from the -Z2 to the yellow wire that you described? And what car they did it with: Solstice/SKY, 2.4L/2.0L, Manual or Automatic transmision?

If you/they did make the connection, when you select:
Menu> Settings> Hardware> 3D Calibration Status
does the AVIC-Z2 display indications that it is actually picking up the VSS signal by displaying things like "3D Hybrid" at the bottom screen (as opposed to "simple hybrid") and/or show some value in the "Speed Pulse" field?

I have seen several posts that say this is the wire to use. But I have yet to hear from anyone that actually used that wire and what results they ended up with. I would hate to start ripping my car apart again just to find out that this is NOT the wire because it doesn't provide what the AVIC-Z2 needs to see.

Inquiring minds want to know.
I have a 2007 SKY 2.4L with manual transmisson.

Last edited by dmbdlatc; 08-26-2007 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
post #66 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Founding Member

I would like to do this someday. However I am so lost on what I need with all these wires, etc. I have monsoon, XM, No onstar. I want to continue to keeo XM working with this unit the navigation as well as steering wheel controls. So what do I need? What is the average price for everything?

P.S. The back up cam I like too if I did that is something extra needed?

Team Solstice 2008

Ordered 11/12/05
Black, manual trans, Premium package, power package, convenience package, floor mats, AC, XM radio, LSD, and Polished Wheels Produced 6/1! VIN:18718

Mods: Fujita CAI, Stubbie Attenna, Lil Chromies, Third Brake Overlay, 35% Tint. Solo Headers, Solo Exhaust.

Last edited by SmokinSolstice; 08-26-2007 at 04:33 PM.
post #67 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4z View Post
Morfious,
I was just poking around on Crutchfield's site and set the filter to an '07 Sol and it indicates that both the AVIC-D3 or the AVIC-Z2 don't fit. Do they say that if the unit requires an install kit to dress up the dash? Obviously you have the D3 installed so there isn't a big clearance issue.
It's fairly tight back there, but it will fit as you can see. Not much extra room to route wires, but you can make it fit without modifying your car. You will need a dash kit to make the radio fit into the double din opening (Metra - 95-3302).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbdlatc View Post
I have seen several posts that say this is the wire to use. But I have yet to hear from anyone that actually used that wire and what results they ended up with. I would hate to start ripping my car apart again just to find out that this is NOT the wire because it doesn't provide what the AVIC-Z2 needs to see.

Inquiring minds want to know.
I have a 2007 SKY 2.4L with manual transmisson.
I have not seen a working VSS hookup in a sky/solstice, but it should work from my reading and understanding. If you have the monsoon system or if you use the GMOS-LAN-04 harness there is a direct VSS hookup located on the harness itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinSolstice View Post
I would like to do this someday. However I am so lost on what I need with all these wires, etc. I have monsoon, XM, No onstar. I want to continue to keeo XM working with this unit the navigation as well as steering wheel controls. So what do I need? What is the average price for everything?

P.S. The back up cam I like too if I did that is something extra needed?
I paid $1400 for everything, but there were some good sales going on when I placed my order. You can NOT keep your factory XM system and use this head unit. You will need to buy one of the XM units that go with the D3 such as the GEX-P10XMT or GEX-P920XM. You may be able to use your factory XM antenna though. Here is your list of parts:

Pioneer GEX-P10XMT - (XM module with navTraffic feature [$199]) ----or---
Pioneer GEX-P920XM - (XM module without traffic info [$99])

Pioneer - AVIC D3 (Head unit)
PAC SWI-PS (Steering Wheel control)
Metra - 95-3302 (Double din dash install kit)
Metra - 40-cr10 (Antenna adapter)
METRA - GMOS-LAN-04 (Onstar / chime harness) For monsoon system (also puts out VSS signal)
Pioneer - ND-BC2 (Rear view camera)
Pioneer - CD-I200 (High Speed iPod Cable <-- if you want that)

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
post #68 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 02:54 PM

VSS Hookup

Morfious is right. If you use the GMOS-LAN-03 or 04 you can hookup directly to the VSS output wire on the box - no need to run wires to the ECM or anywhere else. I did it with my AVIC Z2 and it shows up perfectly on my displays.
post #69 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelj View Post
Morfious is right. If you use the GMOS-LAN-03 or 04 you can hookup directly to the VSS output wire on the box - no need to run wires to the ECM or anywhere else. I did it with my AVIC Z2 and it shows up perfectly on my displays.
Just to clarify:
GMOS-LAN-03 harness does NOT have a VSS output

GMOS-LAN-04 harness does have the VSS output <-- I assume that's what they used for your car.

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
post #70 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 07:08 PM

Metra may have revised the GMOS-LAN-03 or their specs may be wrong, but per their official installation manual for it, there is a blue/pink wire coming out of the box that is for connecting the VSS signal to an aftermarket head unit. I do not have the actual 03 unit - only the install manual, which they sent to me directly at my request. From my observations, the GMOS-LAN-03 and GMOS-LAN-04 adapters are functionally very similar.

I used the GMOS-LAN-04, which has the same blue/pink wire for VSS output, the same parking brake output, and the same reverse output (the reverse does not work on the 04 by the way - at least not on my GXP with an AVIC Z2). The main difference between the 2units is that the 03 has speaker (high-level) inputs that connect directly to the speaker outputs from the HU; whereas the 04 has line-level RCA inputs.

With either adapter, you cannot feed aftermarket amplifiers through the inputs (the adapters cannot handle amplified power inputs) - hence you cannot have the chimes sound in your speakers as you do with the factory system. You can have the chimes sounding in the car speakers however, if you retain the Monsoon amplifer, because it amplifies AFTER the adapter. Since I had 2 high-power Alpine amps, I only used the GMOS-LAN-04 to emulate turn-signal clicks and chimes (which I sent to a separate dedicated speaker in the car), and to send the VSS signal to my Z2.

The other difference is that the 03 does not emulate the turn-signal click - you need a separate relay. The 04 has that capability built in.
post #71 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 PM

Hey, I was using the Pioneer - CD-I200 for my iPod Nano, but I recently got an iPhone, which works the exact same way as the nano did as far as being controlled by the head unit and whatnot. What I'm wondering is, does anyone know if the iPhone's Bluetooth will work while plugged into the high speed cable, so if I install the CD-BTB200 it will do what it's supposed to do? I'd just try it, but blowing $140+ on it and finding it didn't work would upset me!

'06 Pure Sol: Kappashield, lil Chromies, Pioneer AVIC-x920BT, M1 wheels, blacked out grille, SOLO from head to tail with Norm's sweet center exit diffuser. DDM Stage II (#13, eat it bad luck)! God it's fast now!
TEAM DDMWORKS
License Plate: PURSOL
post #72 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

My best friend has an iPhone and it works great with the AVIC D3. I have the high speed iPod cable in my unit and it will charge and play music just fine. As per the threads in the avic411 forums the bluetooth functionality works fine as well. I have not tested this outin my unit though.

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
post #73 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfious View Post
My best friend has an iPhone and it works great with the AVIC D3. I have the high speed iPod cable in my unit and it will charge and play music just fine. As per the threads in the avic411 forums the bluetooth functionality works fine as well. I have not tested this outin my unit though.
Man, I always forget to check out the avic411 forums... thanks for the reminder!

'06 Pure Sol: Kappashield, lil Chromies, Pioneer AVIC-x920BT, M1 wheels, blacked out grille, SOLO from head to tail with Norm's sweet center exit diffuser. DDM Stage II (#13, eat it bad luck)! God it's fast now!
TEAM DDMWORKS
License Plate: PURSOL
post #74 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

No problem. Only problem with the iPhone is that video does not play through the head unit. Music works as expected. Video sound will play through the system and video on teh iPhone, but no video out that we could get to work. Same may hold true for the touch and classic iPod models.

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
post #75 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Well I decided to spend my xmass bonus on myself and just signed the papers for the rest of the audio system to be installed. I draw the line at custom fiberglass work. I will see if my installer will snap a few shots along the build process. Work to be done:

Install:
6 1/2" JL ZR series Component speakers
Alpine PDX 4x150 amplifer flush mounted behind drivers seat with custom fiberglass dress plate (Not sure if I'm gonna paint it or have JPM cover it)
JL Audio 12TW5 - 12" Thin Subwoofer (Expected to be released Jan 2008) installed in a custom fiberglass enclosure behind pass seat
Dynamat the doors and rear bulkhead area
Flush mount radar detector remote display in current airbag light location

Stay tuned for more pics and updates as I get them. As usual I will rip everything apart to see just how it was installed.

Team Solo Performance

OZ Ultraleggera Wheels

Last edited by Morfious; 12-16-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode