Sirius XM Radio Upgrade - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Sirius XM Radio Upgrade

Brethern,
I have been looking at upgrading the radio on my 07 GXP to accept the Sirrius XM channels.The factory radio has the XM feature but not the Sirrius XM & therefore I am unable to register it with Sirrius.
Talked with the tech guy yesterday & he told me he could add on a new receiver or replace the whole unit with an upgraded Bluetooth-USB type which would make an easier install.

while contemplating this,i kind of would like to keep everything OEM if I'm able.He also asked if I had a Bosh or Monsoon sound system,I've only had this car since 12/17 so could not say for sure

Anyone have any thoughts ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Founding Member

If you look in the back of the passenger seat and there is a subwoofer grill you have the Monsoon version of the audio system.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Norvous View Post
Brethern,
I have been looking at upgrading the radio on my 07 GXP to accept the Sirrius XM channels.The factory radio has the XM feature but not the Sirrius XM & therefore I am unable to register it with Sirrius.
Talked with the tech guy yesterday & he told me he could add on a new receiver or replace the whole unit with an upgraded Bluetooth-USB type which would make an easier install.

while contemplating this,i kind of would like to keep everything OEM if I'm able.He also asked if I had a Bosh or Monsoon sound system,I've only had this car since 12/17 so could not say for sure

Anyone have any thoughts ?
That makes no sense as written. If you have an XM radio solstice (there will be a black box in the middle area of the trunk for the antenna) then you can get satellite radio with Sirium/XM. Many of us are using it. Myself currently.

The receiver Sirius mentions is about plugging in a separate XM receiver they sell into the head unit via the USB. I wouldn't want that added clutter in any car.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 08-16-2018 at 04:25 PM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 05:55 PM

Some radios are XM “ready”. Which means the radio is not going to get XM unless you buy the XM receiver and connect it to your radio. You can hide the receiver under the dash or behind the radio. may also need an XM antenna.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info,there no box in my trunk,so thinking now of just upgrading the radio. When I bought the car,last winter I tried to register the VIN # with serius xm & would not go thru.After calling them they told me that considering the car was a 2007,the radios at that time only had the XM radio OR serrius feature which was before the merger of XM & Sirrius radio &,that I would need a new receiver Not wanting to crowd any more devices in the compartment,think I'm going with the upgrade
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:19 AM

There are some good threads on the forum about up grading the audio system. I personally went with the Kenwood DNN770HD Navi Receiver but that is probably now out dated.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info,there no box in my trunk,so thinking now of just upgrading the radio. When I bought the car,last winter I tried to register the VIN # with serius xm & would not go thru.After calling them they told me that considering the car was a 2007,the radios at that time only had the XM radio OR serrius feature which was before the merger of XM & Sirrius radio &,that I would need a new receiver Not wanting to crowd any more devices in the compartment,think I'm going with the upgrade
We're having a failure to communicate . I'm talking about the black box on the trunk. If the car came with the XM radio option it will have that box on the trunk in addition to the XM head unit and this OEM system works just fine with Sirius/XM today.

Without the factory installed XM radio which will include that black plastic box on the trunk it appears to become difficult to add factory/OEM XM from what I've seen on the forum. The wiring harness is literally different in the car without XM as compared to with XM.

Lunaticfringe mentions the XM ready radio option. The forum has some discussion and hopefully you can understand it better than I. It still needs the antenna and a separate tuner from what I can tell. They can plug into the AUX port or use an FM modular setup.

Others add XM/Sirius through an aftermarket head unit. That also requires a separate box and antenna mounted in the car from what I've read.

Search the forum and read up on the old threads about. Here are a few and there are more.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...-radio-120850/
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...io-work-46273/
May be possible with cars with on-star https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...n-trunk-67588/
Monsoon radio xm upgrade talk https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...-player-40782/
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...m-radio-24062/

Last edited by kwtoxman; 08-18-2018 at 10:46 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
We're having a failure to communicate . I'm talking about the black box on the trunk.
kwtoxman is referring to the black thing in the middle of the trunk lid here (yours may or may not have the fin on top - that was a MY change)...

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the info.my brothers
At this point.I'm looking at following the electronics guys advice who will be doing the job anyway,& changing out the unit.He has experience with solstice & skys & the cost is doable provided those pension checks keep on a comin'!

Nervous
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
kwtoxman is referring to the black thing in the middle of the trunk lid here (yours may or may not have the fin on top - that was a MY change)...
That's what I'm talking about. I have no fin on mine.

That's the XM antenna and there is also a box in the trunk with XM components in it as part of that OEM antenna system. I found a thread I think by you TS that spoke about the components in the trunk but the picture link is now dead.

Good luck!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 07:32 AM

I like OEM as well. While I have the Sirius radio, I don’t have a subscription on it. Instead, I have a subscription on my 2017 Mustang RS3 which includes internet streaming. I have unlimited data on my smartphone so I bought an aux Bluetooth adapter from Amazon for $10 and stream Sirius in the Solstice through my phone. A perk is that the Sirius app includes stations they don’t broadcast on the radio!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Because I am not tech savy & still use a "flip phone" & think blue tooth is something to see the dentist about,I will probably have to go with the radio upgrade. I sure appreciate all the advice you forum members have provided, but clearly recognize I'm losing the fight to keep up with technology

Nervous
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
After calling them they told me that considering the car was a 2007,the radios at that time only had the XM radio OR serrius feature which was before the merger of XM & Sirrius radio &,that I would need a new receiver

I'm calling BS on this sales agent you called. I just got a deal from Sirius XM to activate my stock 2006 radio for $149 for 60 months. Original everything and it activated in less than a minute. It does not matter how old the radio is. If it is Sirius, XM or Sirius/XM capable they have packages for all of them.

Good luck with the radio upgrade, I was considering doing it just to get the Bluetooth and iPod functionality. But now that the Satellite radio is activated for 5 years I'll just hang. Lol
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:29 AM

The stock XM receiver will work fine with the exception that it won't get all the channels (Someone correct me if I'm wrong. My experience has been with the free seasonal promo periods.)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:52 AM

XM was free all weekend. I have it in all my drives & rides . I also have the app which gives you a lot more stations to choose from. Some stations are only available on the app. I don't know if up dates are available for the original oem receiver that came with the car from the dealerships.

Last edited by easyryderca; 09-04-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode