SOURCE Button: Steering Wheel Controls - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

SOURCE Button: Steering Wheel Controls

I'm adding an aftermarket HU and the AX-GMLAN11-SWC which allows you to retain factory XM by routing the display to the DIC; however, the instructions say you have to have a SOURCE button on your steering wheel controls to make this work...

So that leads me to my questions:
1. Since these buttons are based on a resistor ladder, is there anyone with a clever idea on how to get around not having a SOURCE button on the steering wheel?
2. If #1 isn't possible, can I swap out the steering wheel or controls for another GM model?

Edit: I don't have on-star so when I push and hold the mute button for 2s, it's the same as if I pushed it quickly. I'm not sure if there's anyway to tap into that press and hold functionality with a resistor to mimic pressing and holding the SOURCE button.

Here are the instructions showing the requirement:

2007 SLY w/ Ebony Leather & Top
Power | Convenience | Polished w/ Polished Caps | LSD | ABS | A/C | 6-Disc w/ MP3 | Monsoon | XM
GMPP CAI | GMPP Cat-Back Performance Exhaust | Kappashield | 2.55" Stubby | Kappapouch | GXP Alum Sill Plates | GM All Weather Mats & Splash Guards

My mother said to me, "If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope." Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso. ~Pablo Picasso

Last edited by NYC_Sol; 04-28-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

I'll also add that the module claims to work with these cars but as far as I can tell from an image search, they all use the same steering wheel controls and none of a SOURCE button:

Power | Convenience | Polished w/ Polished Caps | LSD | ABS | A/C | 6-Disc w/ MP3 | Monsoon | XM
GMPP CAI | GMPP Cat-Back Performance Exhaust | Kappashield | 2.55" Stubby | Kappapouch | GXP Alum Sill Plates | GM All Weather Mats & Splash Guards

My mother said to me, "If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope." Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso. ~Pablo Picasso
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

I've contacted Metra and they don't seem to know what they're talking about. They insist that the GM cars in the list have to come with a SOURCE button on the steering wheel if they had factory XM and I've told them that's not true. In fact, the only GM vehicles I know with the SOURCE button are pickups and SUVs.

Metra Technical Support response:
Quote:
Not all GM vehicles came with XM from the factory and the ones that did come with it XM would have to have the source button in order for it to work, those buttons on the vehicle work off of a positive resistance.
@Small Dealer: Any ideas, oh wise one?

Last edited by NYC_Sol; 04-28-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:15 PM
Founding Member

The XM feature was an option at least for 2006 and 2007, not sure about the other years.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
The XM feature was an option at least for 2006 and 2007, not sure about the other years.
Agree but none of the years come with SWC that have a SOURCE button even when XM was default. Every one of the cars listed uses more or less the exact same steering wheel/SWCs if they have them. I've yet to find any example of a SOURCE button on anything except the following which the module is not made for:

07 Present Buick Enclave CX & CXL
07 Present Chevy Avalanche LT & LTZ
07 Present Chevy Silverado LT & LTZ
07 Present Chevy Suburban LT & LTZ
07 Present Chevy Tahoe LT & LTZ
09 Present Chevy Traverse LT & LTZ
07 Present GMC Acadia SLE, SLT & Denali
07 Present GMC Sierra SLE, SLT & Denali
07 Present GMC Yukon & Yukon XL SLE, SLT & Denali
09 2011 Saturn Outlook XR
09 2011 Hummer H2

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:06 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Sol View Post
@Small Dealer: Any ideas, oh wise one?
He hasn't been on the forum for many, many moons. Don't expect a reply.

1st 1K - #741
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
He hasn't been on the forum for many, many moons. Don't expect a reply.

And here I was planning to go back to Metra and tell them a GM dealer said they were wrong.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:10 PM

The 2007 owner's manual does not include source selection in the available steering wheel functions.
The available functions are radio station/CD track forward/reverse, volume up/down, and mute/OnStar activation.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode