Stereo Install Costs - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Garage
Be aware that the interior parts are NLS for the most part, so if you pay for a shop to do the install and they break a plastic part, they can just refund their fee and you are standing there with a broken part in your hand as they can't just call up the dealer and replace it - you'll be the one hunting around for a good used part from a wreck.

It's a question of whether your inexperience makes you more or less likely to break something from ignorance than a pro who is working to get it done as soon as possible.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 1969 MGC roadster
Mods at https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:31 AM

Garage
Since stereo installation is out of my comfort range, I'm paying a company to install a 1400 NEX in my Solstice this week. They did the same install on my F150 a few months ago and they did a wonderful job. So for the unit, harness, steering wheel control adapter (and any other needed part),a back up camera and installation - plus a window tint, my cost is $850. A bit higher than the F150, but still worth it to me ... because I'd probably break something if I tried it myself.

---
al_c
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:37 PM

Garage
The head unit is really easy to change. I got step by step instructions from Crutchfield emailed to me, and aside from the handle removal I followed them to a T. Straight forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_131222.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	95681   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181125_161710.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	95683   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_161436.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	95685   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171119_151919.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	95687  
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:44 PM

Garage
A few more pics from my NA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_161453.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	95689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_161947.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	95691   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171119_150518.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	95693  
Zinger and marksbug like this.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:57 PM

installed my kenwood with gps and backup camera in about six hours. If it weren't for CRUTCHFIELD it would have probably taken me days. bought the radio, backup camera, steering wheel controls and all the necessary wiring harnesses from them. Only wire I had to splice into was the backup light wiring to power the backup camera when in reverse. Everything else was plug and play. Those guys really held my hand every step of the way. they even sent me instructions on how to remove the boomerang to get to the radio,and how to remove the waterfall to mount the GPS antenna. With installation instructions in hand and half a dozen phone calls to the pros at CRUTCHFIELD, got the job done that day. Even though all went smoothly for me, $500.00 seems like a fair price.

Bill
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:32 PM

I bought a Pioneer avh-4200nex for my girlfriend's GXP so she would have android auto. I wasn't sure i could do the wiring ( i did ok on the waterpump)so i took it to Audio shop and the installer gave me a price of $150 for labor. So I took him up on it. Came back to get the car and he says he wants $500. I showed him his written estimate, so he got his manager and we agree'd on $100 less.
It's been a couple of years since the install and I noticed she doesn't even have android auto on her phone anymore :-( But the new radio sounded better than the stock one even with the same stock speakers,
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybill44 View Post
installed my kenwood with gps and backup camera in about six hours. If it weren't for CRUTCHFIELD it would have probably taken me days. bought the radio, backup camera, steering wheel controls and all the necessary wiring harnesses from them. Only wire I had to splice into was the backup light wiring to power the backup camera when in reverse. Everything else was plug and play. Those guys really held my hand every step of the way. they even sent me instructions on how to remove the boomerang to get to the radio,and how to remove the waterfall to mount the GPS antenna. With installation instructions in hand and half a dozen phone calls to the pros at CRUTCHFIELD, got the job done that day. Even though all went smoothly for me, $500.00 seems like a fair price.

Bill
How did you route your backup camera wiring to the head unit?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Well it wasn't me you asked ( ) but I'll tell you what I did... I drilled one small hole in the inner FRP plastic trunk tub, and routed the wires from the camera through that, then around the trunk behind the carpet liner, through an existing handy hole in the metal wall behind the driver seat (near the seatbelt) then down behind the waterfall, along under the sill trim and into the front dash area. Easy peasy.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I routed the camera wiring up through the opening that holds the license plate lamp, up past the high center stop lamp, and out into the small tray at the rearmost portion of the trunk where the trunklid torsion bar is located. From there across to the drivers side of the car and behind the lining of the trunk, went forward and up to the top of the trunk right behind the drivers seat. Pulled out the large plastic panel behind the drivers seat,then pulled out the plastic doorsill. ran the wire behind all that stuff, up behind the lining just forward of the doorsill, then behind the boomerang to the radio. Sounds like a big deal but all that plastic just pops right out and back in. No holes drilled. No wires showing. I think you could also run the wires from the trunk down through the center console.Thats where I ran the GPS wire up to the waterfall. even with all that, the camera wire was plenty long enough. Also used lots of tie wraps to to hold the wire in place.

Sounds worse than it really is, hope it helps.

Bill
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:17 PM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
The head unit is really easy to change. I got step by step instructions from Crutchfield emailed to me, and aside from the handle removal I followed them to a T. Straight forward.
I like that interior!!!! how do you think it would look with the silver dash insert?? I reckon I should get some instructions coming for mine and see what I can break....hmm I could have my wife do it!!!!
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:23 PM

Garage
I spliced into my reverse lights for my backup camera. Ran the wires through the license plate hole. I can't remember where if I drilled a hole or not into the trunk but snaked the cables along the passenger side under the side of the trunk liner, through a hole in the rear water fall, ran it under the passenger door sills, to the passenger kick plate under the carpet then into the console.

If monies are no object then there's also wireless backup cameras although I don't know how well they work.

The head unit install can take less than 30 minutes if you already pre soldered your plug adapter. The backup camera just takes time to snake wiring. None of it is difficult.

Don't follow crutchfields instructions to split the oh S*** handles two halves - they don't stay together after you do so. Just remove the entire handle without splitting it.

I started at the top of the boomerang to pop it off. $10 in the plastic trim removal tools are worth their weight in gold.
joybill44 and Zinger like this.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saveaux View Post
Don't follow crutchfields instructions to split the oh S*** handles two halves - they don't stay together after you do so. Just remove the entire handle without splitting it.
Agree! They REALLY need to change that. You just undo the 2 10mm bolts holding it in and then rotate it vertically to get it out.
Zinger likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Thanks, good information to know for when I change mine out shortly!
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the camera routing information guys.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
$500 including wiring a backup camera doesn't seem outrageous to me. Cleanly installing the camera and properly routing the wire to the dash can involve a good bit if interior dismantling. $500 for just a head unit does, though. I swapped mine out to a 2010 OEM with USB input and I don't think it took more than an hour (maybe it's easier on a Sky?).

But I live in Seattle where we just got bids to replace a hot water heater that ranged from $2500 to $4000 (I ended up doing it myself).
Any more information on the unit with usb input? Is it with usb in the front or with add on cable?
Edit: found that they had usb port in the front. First couple of searches were turning up the same looking radio.

Last edited by yevgenievich; 05-10-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode