Sub for base audio? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Sub for base audio?

I have a '08 without the monsoon system, and am thinking about adding a sub. Car has the sub grill behind the passenger seat, but, nothing behind it. I found a powered Kicker sub, (Kicker Hidaway HS8), that measures 13 7/8 X 9 3/8 X 3 1/8. Will that fit in the space behind the factory grill? Or should I go with the sub kit offered at GMRoadster.com? Or, any better ideas? I want to put it behind the factory grill, and am no good at fabricating.

Thanks
Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 AM

For additional reference material, there are several non-Monsoon subwoofer options and opinions discussed on this site over the years.

I recently installed a low profile all-in-one sub and amp from Retrosound that I purchased from Crutchfield.com under the passenger seat of my 07 GXP. I connected it to my aftermarket JVC GPS/Entertainment system which replaced the factory non-Monsoon system. The sub won't rattle the windows on the cars around me, but does round out the frequency response of the system not too mention, gives any passenger a thrill.

1954 MG Magnette ZA
1971 Triumph TR6 (Supercharged)
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP Conv
2015 Ford F350 4X4
2014 Jaguar XF Sport
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
2012 Fiat 500 Sport
1971 Corvette Conv.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyfromVA View Post
For additional reference material, there are several non-Monsoon subwoofer options and opinions discussed on this site over the years.

I recently installed a low profile all-in-one sub and amp from Retrosound that I purchased from Crutchfield.com under the passenger seat of my 07 GXP. I connected it to my aftermarket JVC GPS/Entertainment system which replaced the factory non-Monsoon system. The sub won't rattle the windows on the cars around me, but does round out the frequency response of the system not too mention, gives any passenger a thrill.

I didn't think there was enough room under the seat, hence my wanting to go behind the factory sub grill. Any problems with the fit?

Thanks
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 AM

The factory sub enclose is far from regularly shaped. I just measured mine and it is about 13x13x3...of course it is much larger than that, but has many areas that are less than 3" deep. I cannot say if it will fit or not but it would be close. The cover will flex a bit to help you and the seat will hide said flex. I am sure they have a return policy so give it a try and let us know. Do you have an aftermarket head unit or planning to connect to factory radio?

09 G8GT, Stryker, sport/prem
08 GXP, Mean, Auto
03 Excursion Limited, V10, 2WD and 37s
94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, very rusty and 35s
07 GXP, Mean, manual-RIP 1Apr13 @14K miles
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juspimpin View Post
The factory sub enclose is far from regularly shaped. I just measured mine and it is about 13x13x3...of course it is much larger than that, but has many areas that are less than 3" deep. I cannot say if it will fit or not but it would be close. The cover will flex a bit to help you and the seat will hide said flex. I am sure they have a return policy so give it a try and let us know. Do you have an aftermarket head unit or planning to connect to factory radio?

Thanks for measuring the encloser.

I have the factory head unit. I picked up a set of replacement sized Kickers for the doors and side panels behind the seats. Wondering, since I will have those panels off anyway, maybe going on and adding a sub while I was at it.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 AM

In order to use the one behind the seat, you will have to find ones that fit in the Solstice. If not, there will be a lot of cutting and filling you will have to do. I personally am waiting till my buddy that did my Mustang comes up on vacation. We are going to build a box that will fit right between the hinges on the trunk and mount a sub in there since the trunk is useless anyway. He is very good at making the most out of spacing and actually built me a box in corner of my trunk on my Mustang. We hooked it right up to my Mach460 audio system, which the sound stores all said couldn't be done. And it sounded awesome and had enough power to rock windows....all without having to have a capacitor as well (another thing they said would cause issues if I didn't have one). I only needed the amp.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:13 PM

You have two options for a sub in the factory position behind the seat:

1) Find a used factory sub+enclosure (and replace the speaker, but use the enclosure).
2) Cut a hole in the metal bulkhead and custom fit an enclosure yourself (or have someone else do it).

This photo shows the issue:

Than there's this alternative: http://www.gmroadster.com/index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=68

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 07-05-2013 at 12:16 PM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 03:14 PM

TS-do you have a better pic of the other side? I looked at it once but failed on the pic side of things. What space is available where amp was? About same 12x12x3? I am doing aftermarket amp over there.

08 GXP, Mean, Auto
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 04:02 PM

Geeze Soup do you ever have your car together.LOL

2007 GXP
Mysterious Black
Convertible with Liner
5 speed manual
MagnaFlow Catback
Metal pedals
Pioneer AVIC X940 BT
Trifecta TunePioneer
Traffic tuner and XM tuner
Pyle reverse camera with grids

Licensed Master Electrician
Trifecta Dealer

In process mods:

Powder coated Charge Tubes
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:06 AM

Guys, guys, google images is your friend!

Bulkhead where amp mounts:

Stock amp:

Alternate, aftermarket amp, mounting:

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Thanks TS.

I see what you circled as the factory amp but are there 2 amps stock? The aftermarket amp location is also the location of a factory amp.

08 GXP, Mean, Auto
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:13 PM

What did you type for google search string to find pics of waterfall area? Mine failed.

08 GXP, Mean, Auto
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks TS.

I see what you circled as the factory amp but are there 2 amps stock? The aftermarket amp location is also the location of a factory amp.
No that circle was not mine (nor the photo). What's circled is the remote doorlock receiver box. Amp is down to the right by the floor.

Quote:
What did you type for google search string to find pics of waterfall area? Mine failed.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=...plifier+images

OR:

https://www.google.com/search?num=50...bwoofer+images

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Well, the sub is in. I have no doubt that a factory enclosure is the way to go. But, if you don't have one, and can't fabricate, and really want one back there, it is do-able.

I have never heard a Monsoon system, so I can't compare the two, but I like it. Installed a set of CS Kicker 6 3/4 in the doors, (plug and play), a set of CS Kicker 3 1/2 in the side panels behind the door, (I think, might remember the size wrong, but still plug and play with new wire connecters), a pair of base blockers on the 3 1/2s, and the Kicker Hide-a-way sub. Mounted the sub remote in the storage between the seats. I am very happy with the results.

Notice it does bulge the cover a bit, but not really noticeable unless you look for it.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and thoughts.

Mack
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 PM

Glad to see an alternative option without cutting and sub type waterfall. My sis is trying to do similar to you in a sky. Glad you are happy

08 GXP, Mean, Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode