Sub for base audio? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 05:45 AM

TS in one of the photos I see stacked on top of the VCIM what looks to be a Sirus tuner,is there enough room there to do that and still have the panel back in place or is it that the cup holder not used here. Also still looking for an alternitave way to wire my back-up camera ,really do not want to hack into the tail lights,can you tell me where to get that ? It it fuse 28? If it is is that underneath the passengers kick panel?Thanks

2007 GXP
Mysterious Black
Convertible with Liner
5 speed manual
MagnaFlow Catback
Metal pedals
Pioneer AVIC X940 BT
Trifecta TunePioneer
Traffic tuner and XM tuner
Pyle reverse camera with grids

Licensed Master Electrician
Trifecta Dealer

In process mods:

Powder coated Charge Tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosti View Post
TS in one of the photos I see stacked on top of the VCIM what looks to be a Sirus tuner,is there enough room there to do that and still have the panel back in place or is it that the cup holder not used here. Also still looking for an alternitave way to wire my back-up camera ,really do not want to hack into the tail lights,can you tell me where to get that ? It it fuse 28? If it is is that underneath the passengers kick panel?Thanks
I doubt there's that much room there, without deleting the cupholder or even the cubby! But not really sure. You'd have to try it and see.

As for the camera, why not vampire off one of the reversing lights? Otherwise you'd have to run a wire all the way from the underhood fuseblock (fuse 31 or relay 28) and you'd still be hacking in to the light circuit anyway (just in a more difficult way). For my camera I did the former. Easiest way to access those wires is to remove the taillight (stop/turn cluster) and reach down the exposed hole to the reverse light wires. You can them follow them back, possibly inside the trunk (?), to see if there's a better place to attach to. Sorry, I forget where I attached mine now.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 PM

I'd like to get a better sub but I'd want to build a box for it and I don't think there's enough room to get the air space required with the factory cover. I'm planning on trading for a GXP otherwise, I would have already torn mine apart and made something work. I appreciate all the info in this topic though. custom sounds is my passion.

Good luck and keep on hacking!

Charlie

I'm trying to contain an outbreak here and you're driving the monkey to the airport.
Hank Hill
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 02:52 PM

what year is that TA blackSol? 75? I had a 78 and a 79 TA and a 74 camaro. cool cars.

Charlie

I'm trying to contain an outbreak here and you're driving the monkey to the airport.
Hank Hill
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX06manual View Post
what year is that TA blackSol? 75? I had a 78 and a 79 TA and a 74 camaro. cool cars.
You are correct, it is a '75. Might be hard to believe, but I had it since it was new. I remember picking it up at the dealer just like it was yesterday. My how time flies.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 10:06 AM

that's awesome. you're lucky you kept it.

Charlie

Hank Hill
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 PM

I had a 70 GTO 4sp 400 ,wish I kept that,I also bought it brand new $4500.00,thought it was allot of money but compared to today it was a drop in the bucket.Back in the early 70s I was making aroung $2.00 an hour,$4000.00 was more than I made in a year.Kinda of funny if you think of it ,how much do you make in a year ,is it close to what you would pay for a new vehicle?LOL

2007 GXP
Mysterious Black
Convertible with Liner
5 speed manual
MagnaFlow Catback
Metal pedals
Pioneer AVIC X940 BT
Trifecta TunePioneer

Trifecta Dealer

In process mods:

post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 07:13 PM

TS I will let you know if there is enough room soon I will be tearing the back panels off and will see if there is that much room.I my just omit that useless cup holder to get the tuner in there,I have to open that part up anyways to get the video cable installed for the reverse camera.
Anyone know if the Casio Boulder phone will pait up with the Pioneer AVIC X940 head unit?I have not had much luck with mine,Pioneer said to just reset to factory specs and try to pair again,did that did not work,also told me to try either or both pair using phone in discovery mode and or radio in discovery mode.Tried both ,neither worked.

2007 GXP
Mysterious Black
Convertible with Liner
5 speed manual
MagnaFlow Catback
Metal pedals
Pioneer AVIC X940 BT
Trifecta TunePioneer

Trifecta Dealer

In process mods:

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:04 PM

Wonder if you have an update now that you have had this setup a while. Are you still happy with the door, pillar, and sub with the factory head unit and factory amp? I have base audio with a blown door speaker and no sub. I'd like to start with just replacing the door speakers (without adding crossover or changing the tweeters). Curious if you used a 2-way CS speaker, or component and just installed the driver.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:41 AM

I used 2 way in the doors and kept the tweeters in the a pillar. I went to replace them but the ones I bought weren't as good as the factory ones. I did not use crossovers but by amp has a mid range setting. the factory HU is ok but you'd have more adjustments with an aftermarket one. The tweets I put in the rear panels helped out a lot.

I have a factory monsoon box that will hold a shallow mount 10 if you want it.

Charlie

Hank Hill
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:21 AM

I will be in Houston in 2 weeks, and would love to pick up that monsoon box! I'll send you a PM.

I just ordered some JBL speakers, GTO608c for the front and some GTO line 3.5s for the rear. Also ordered speaker plug adapters so I don't have to splice wires. The JBLs are 2ohm, so should work with the factory head unit/amp. I'll just use the woofers in the door for now, and not use the crossover or tweeters (yet).

Guess I'll be shopping for a 10" sub and amp next!

2009 GXP Roadster
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:41 PM

Found a JBL 5 channel amp I like, and 10" shallow sub (amazon).

For those looking for a factory sub box, found this link on another thread:http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10346926-Original-Equipment-Subwoofer/dp/B000K00384/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1421962942&sr=1-1&keywords=ACDelco+10346926+GM+Original+Equipment+8+in+Front+Door+Radio+Speaker+Subwoofer&pebp=1421962952172&peasin=B000K00384

2009 GXP Roadster

Last edited by CM-Smith; 01-22-2015 at 02:44 PM.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 07:04 PM

Just back from a week out of town, and the JBL door and rear speakers were waiting for me. Popped in the door woofers tonight. These are direct fit in the factory mount with factory screws. The speaker adapters were worth the extra, plug right in with no slicing. Sounds good so far. I didn't mess with the tweeters or the rears, that will wait for another day (after I get that Sub box from Charlie!)

2009 GXP Roadster
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 09:31 AM

It's sittin here with your name on it.

Charlie

Hank Hill
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 10:30 PM

Finally got the install done. Lots of waiting on a subwoofer that was out of production, etc...

The JBL rear speakers were also an easy drop in. Tweeters in the pillars required popping out the original heat staked mounts and using one of the mounts included in the JBL box (lots of options, I made one work). The JBLs stick out like bug eyes, but could return to original if I want. Mounted the JBL crossover in the dash, behind the triangle piece on either side of the dash, but tucked to the inside. Cut into the harness of the PAC 1416A to get speaker input to the doors, dropped the wires from the new tweeters down to the crossover, and ran wires from the new amp along under the doorsills.

The JBL amp was too big for behind the driver's seat, so it found a home in the trunk (even less space than before, ugh!).

"Settled" on a JL Audio 10" shallow sub. Lots of tweaks on the factory box from Charlie to make it fit, plus a 3/4" spacer on the inside of the cabin. Removed the factory grill ('09 had it even without Monsoon). the spacer fits that spot.

Don't tell the teenage me, but 2,000 watts in that tiny car is almost too much. The 10" JL hits hard. Angry even. the JBL speakers are crisp. The JBL amp was easy to set the gain and sounds awesome with the factory head unit. My ears are ringing tonight.

2009 GXP Roadster

Last edited by CM-Smith; 05-09-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode