ChopTop's Obsession - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
WooHoo, body shop called and left a message that the Club Racer hardtop, and all the other parts I took in are finished and ready to be picked up.

4/28/15 Picked up Club Racer hardtop, GXP fascia, Norms GXP splitter, Aftershock recessed grills, L&R door handles, and the inner honey comb Aftershock grill inserts. The outer Aftershock recessed grills were painted bright silver for contrast.

Very happy w/the quality of the paint job, I asked for a very good quality paint job but not show quality, and told them I wasn't in a rush, so they could take their time rather than trying to cut corners by rushing to get the job done as fast as possible.

4/30/15 Trail fitted the hardtop on tonight. Totally diggin it.
Your Smoothline Hard top looks amazing. Well done!!!!! Can't wait to see pics of the rest of the mods.

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe Auto # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Hey NS, can you remember if you have a thin black plastic trim piece that surrounds the perimeter of your rear window hardtop?

I have an appointment to have the rear glass installed at a windshield installation shop today @ 1PM. When I made the appointment last week the window guy asked if I had a rear window seal, and I said no.

But when I got home I found a rolled up piece of plastic about eight feel long (similar in thickness to the rain gutter trim pieces. At first I thought it was the gutter trim pieces, but I already have them set aside. This is a separate piece.

I called Smoothline this AM and was told it was a rear windown decorative trim piece, left up to the owner to be installed or not. Also, there's no mention of this rear black plastic window trim piece in the instructions at all.

What's confusing me is that the area that the window sets into is recessed about a 1/4 inch deep, and slightly larger than the glass window itself. So I'm thinking the plastic trim piece could be installed around the perimeter of the depression, and not around the perimeter of the glass window itself?

Hopefully, my glass guy will get it figured out.

Pics will be forthcoming once I break down and buy a new camera.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 05-04-2015 at 08:52 AM.
post #48 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:20 AM

Hopefully this pic helps. As you know I went to Smoothline to get mine and had them install it. This is how I got it.
Attached Images

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #49 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sol View Post
Hopefully this pic helps. As you know I went to Smoothline to get mine and had them install it. This is how I got it.
This old thread of mine has some good pics of my rear window.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...stalled-78977/

The Mean Machine
The Ace of Spades
post #50 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

5/18/15 Club Racer is bolted in place, rubber seals installed, glass defogger rear window installed, and a matching red replica Street Edition stripe added to it to compliment the red SE stripes already on hood and decklid.

Removed 2.4 fascia, installed GXP fascia and Aftershock recessed grills. If Aftershock does indeed reproduces these I'm definitely in for buying another set as a back up.

Tonight or this week I will be installing Norms GXP fiberglass front spoiler/splitter. I trialed fitted it on last night, at first I didn't think it would fix due to the recessed grills, but glad to find out there's
just enough room under the lips of the recessed grills.

Though I'm a little concerned that with the splitter it may be too low and could scrape on entering and exiting the driveway (give me urethane for body kits!). I also have this spoiler on my 09 coupe, and while both have
BC coilovers on them, the 06 sits about an inch lower than the 09.

Still, only one way to find out. Along w/having to deal w/the; all show no go reality.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #51 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

I installed Norms GXP front splitter this week, as feared, it does touch my driveway slope on exit and entry. Not sure if I want to remove the splitter or raise the coilovers a half inch. However, totally digging the Aftershock recessed grills, definitely brings some aggression to the overall look of the front.

Recently took it on errand, and as usual I parked away from other cars. As I walked back towards car I couldn't help but think it has a Cobra vibe, but still looks very Poncho.

Also a few things on the base fascia to GXP fascia conversion;

1. GXP front fender liners are needed for a OEM look.
2. GXP underbody splash shield needed to help deflect debris build-up*.
3. GXP front fender liners needed when using Norms splitter, due the splitter inner fender attachment points matching the GXP inner fender liners attachment points.

*The base fascia is molded to cover the underbody, whereas the GXP fascia ends right below the fascia intercooler air inlet. The GXP uses a separate plastic splash shield that attaches to the bottom edge of the GXP fascia, and extends almost to the underbody spoiler. The splash shield protects the GXP intercooler from road debris (part 38 in the diagram below).

[/QUOTE]

I know, I know; This thread is worthless without pics. Buying a new camera isn't a priority for me, but when I finally get around to it I will take pics and post them to this thread of both cars.

Last edited by ChopTop; 05-23-2015 at 07:59 AM.
post #52 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Hoped for fantasy/lottery winning purchases.
.......6. Pirelli Pilot Sport Tires....
I looked into new tires and have the Michelin Pilot Super Sport at #1 on my short list. Based my choice mainly on the fact that it seems the number one choice of Solstice drivers and tire reviewers.

I did try to look up your Pirellis but found nothing. Perhaps you mean Michelin ?

Pilot Super Sport tires | Michelin US

Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires | Michelin US

Quote:
WooHoo
FedEx freight just dropped off my Smoothline Club Racer hardtop today
Do you have any images of the inside (liner / insulation) ?
post #53 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
I looked into new tires and have the Michelin Pilot Super Sport at #1 on my short list. Based my choice mainly on the fact that it seems the number one choice of Solstice drivers and tire reviewers.

I did try to look up your Pirellis but found nothing. Perhaps you mean Michelin ?

Pilot Super Sport tires | Michelin US

Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires | Michelin US
I bought a set of PS A/S 3 tires back in February. They rode too rough for me and I decided to take them back. Got a set of Contis which are not much better. I'm too sick to go hassle with them again. I do know that the Contis are over-inflated, which is part of the problem.

Yogi

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line
5 Speed Stick, Chrome Wheels
Black with Black Top and Black Leather
Single Disk Monsoon
post #54 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 09:16 AM

Où peut-on acheter le concept arrière du hard top pour une Opel GT ?
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/at...erspective.jpg
Quelles sont les coordonnées et adresses pour commander ce grand hard top ?.
Merci.
post #55 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patlee6675 View Post
Où peut-on acheter le concept arrière du hard top pour une Opel GT ?
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/at...erspective.jpg
Quelles sont les coordonnées et adresses pour commander ce grand hard top ?.
Merci.
Great pic, but that yellow top now looks like this, and last I heard is still owned by forum member cdnite.

post #56 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

2006, 1st 1000, #482/Triple black/2.4/Manual/P/widows/air/Monsoon Stereo/1st 1000 memorabilia

2006 PERFORMANCE MODS
1. BC Adjustable Coilovers
2. Gravanna J2 staggered 18 wheels/Goodyear staggered tires (245/275)
3. DDM 1/2 inch racing backbone
4. DDM Probeam

2006 APPEARANCE MODS
1. GM Storage Pouch
2. Kappasphere header storage pouch
3. Kappasphere front seat storage pouches
4. GM black car cover
5. MRZ polished stainless steel deck lid covers
6. GXP black headlights
7. BMW jack pads
8. Cheap AutoZone seat/steering wheel cover
9. ASAP Windshield/Tulip panel vinyl wrap (gloss black)
10. Replica Heritage/Street Edition Stripe in Hot Rod Red
11. Aftershock rear ducktail spoiler
12. BMW lifting pucks
13. JPM Short Shifter (White shifter knob, will be replaced w/DDM)
14. GXP dual exhaust
15. GXP dual exhaust plastic valance
16. OEM sports pedal kit
17. Smoothline Club Racer hardtop
18. GXP Front Fascia
19. Aftershock Recessed Grill
20. Norm's GXP front splitter

Misc: Still awaiting installation; DDM short shifter (newest purchase; DDM shift knob adapter), LV front brace, WERKS Front & Rear Adjustable Sway Bars. A complete EDAG hardtop and hardware, stored in garage. Purchased used from Ford dealership to prevent it from possible being into a landfill.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

2009, GXP, 2.0 Turbo, Aggressive, Auto, Monsoon, Convenience options, #480 of 1266 coupes,

2009 PERFORMANCE MODS
1. GMPP 290HP upgrade
2. GM Cold Air Intake
3. DDM Red Starlight Charger Tubes
4. DDM Wormgear T-bolt clamps
5. DDM Oil Catch Can
6. DDM Pro Beam
7. DDM Backbone
8. DDM fuel filter kit
9. BC Adjustable Coilovers
10. SOLO Cat Back Shorty Exhaust

2009 APPEARANCE MODS
1. GM Q9Y polished split spoke wheels
2. GM optional soft top
3. GM Hardtop bag
4. GXP red embroidered floor mats
5. Wind Restrictor illuminated door sills
6. Norms GXP front splitter
7. ASAP turn/driving lights honeycomb covers
13. ASAP GMPP tuned 3rd brake light decal
14. ASAP small "GMPP Tuned" windshield decal (silver metallic )
15. Evolution car cover
16. Doorshox *door ding protectors
17. BMW jacking pads
18. ASAP decals "#480 of 1266" coupe back window graphic, GXP front fender decal & GXP wheel lip decals
19. Magnectic vinyl race numbers for doors, hood (#480)
20. GM interior saddle bag
21. Replica silver metallic Heritage/Street Edition racing stripe
22. MRZ red anodized billet engine fluids covers/caps
23. GM mudflaps
24. Griots Garage Autobahn blindspot mirror
25. Cheap AutoZone seat/steering wheel covers
26. GXP OEM bra customized to fit over Norms splitter.
27. OEM sports pedal kit

Misc; 2010 professional framed Motortrend Red GXP coupe centerfold, Solstice hats/Several t-shirts ,Solstice Parking Only/Diecast/Wallclock/Solstice Books/Magazine/Ebay Pontiac coupe wristwatch, and etc.

post #57 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 03:29 PM

Hello chop. Read through your posts here all in one shot. Seems to me that you don't need a camera, you need a friend to take pictures for you and have them posted up to the WWW. You got us all drooling here with blue balls.
post #58 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Hey Kappacobra

Here's a preview of the 09 coupe, some stranger took a pic at a car show and posted it on Flicker.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/scott5...ream/lightbox/

The numbers on the car are magnetic vinyl and pull right off, I've used them a few times at shows.

6/12/15 Ordered ASAPGraphics honeycomb driving/turn lens cover (06).

Last edited by ChopTop; 06-12-2015 at 10:12 AM.
post #59 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Few recent pics of our 06 that I recently converted to look like a GXP. I had a local graphic shop replicate the Street Edition stripe in 3M Hotrod red, Smoothline Club Racer Hardtop, Gravanna J2 staggered wheels, Norms GXP lower splitter, and Aftershock ducktail spoiler, and their recessed grills (which may be offered again in the future). I'm not 100% happy with it yet and still consider it a work in progress. And I borrowed my neighbors cheap camera so that's one reason the pic quality isn't that great.

In this pic you can see how the top dips in the center to give it a subtly double bubble hardtop look.

Previously a 2.4 fascia that I converted to a GXP fascia w/Norms GXP front splitter.

Last edited by ChopTop; 07-18-2015 at 05:07 PM.
post #60 of 118 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 08:58 PM

Garage
Gorgeous man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« mods | Rear spoiler »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode