End all, be all: Curt Trailer Hitch (and accessories) Thread - Page 11 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:05 PM

Has anyone tried a turndown exhaust tip to keep the exhaust heat off of a rear cargo carrier? I have followed a lot of the hitch and cargo carrier discussions over the years and never seen this as a possible solution. I have an 06 NA Solstice - single exhaust. I installed a Curt receiver hitch years ago. I have had a carrier for a few years but never used it. If I install the carrier inline (actually it does have a small rise) it will be directly inline with the exhaust as many of you know. I have installed with a riser which solves that problem but creates another problem. Items on the carrier block the license plate. With the carrier installed inline or just above will a turndown tip solve the heat problem? Also with the carrier inline or just above, mounted close to the vehicle (no extender) would there be a possible dragging problem. I guess I could figure this out by trial and error but there is a lot of experience and wisdom to be had from forum members. I figure someone has already been there and done that.

Sly - everything but Onstar.
Mods - Clearbra 3M tape, splash guards, PCMforless.com custom dyno tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:39 PM

Is there a problem with the license plate being blocked?
post #153 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:43 PM

It is my understanding that in many (if not all) states obscuring or blocking the view of a license plate is illegal and may get you a ticket.

post #154 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:58 PM

Didn't know that. We drove to Nassam 2018 in Colorado from Illinois and back. Guess we got lucky!
post #155 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solman06 View Post
It is my understanding that in many (if not all) states obscuring or blocking the view of a license plate is illegal and may get you a ticket.
I use my cargo carrier for runs to/from Lowes / Home Depot. I suppose if I use it for long trips, I might put the license plate onto the cargo carrier.

On the other hand we have driven all over the south with a our minivan and a bike rack carrying 4 bikes that definitely obscured the tag and we never have been stopped, so maybe I ought not worry about the cargo carrier.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Midnight Blue
post #156 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:27 PM

I guess it depends on the police officer. I have hauled bikes on racks that have obscured the plates many times myself and never got a ticket. But I believe in many states it is "technically" illegal. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

post #157 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Has anyone tried a turndown exhaust tip to keep the exhaust heat off of a rear cargo carrier? I have followed a lot of the hitch and cargo carrier discussions over the years and never seen this as a possible solution.
Not tried that, but it seems an expensive way to go.

In my case I just attached some strips of aluminum, cut off a roll of gutter flashing, to deflect the exhaust heat.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #158 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:35 AM

That looks like what most people have done TomatoSoup. Did it completely solve the problem? I just wondered if anyone had tried the turndown tip. Yes it would be more expensive and maybe difficult on a GXP because of the exhaust tip shape but I don't think it would be too difficult on a 06 NA.

post #159 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:50 AM

Are the exhaust exits really all that different? Or are there just two of them?

I personally don't care nearly as much as some here about the appearance of their car, but I imagine installing and removing turn-downs would almost certainly mar the finish on the tips over time, beyond even what I would consider acceptable.

2007 Solstice GXP
#3 ASP, DET and NWOR SCCA
"It's a Kappa - not a classic"
post #160 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:13 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Take your front plate (which should never actually be mounted on the car) and mount it to the trailer.
Saveaux likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, Borla cat-back, DDM braces, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, some gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-Rs, GReddy Profec, Norm's fenders

'07 GXP, Werks Big Wheel K04 and tune, Solo catless downpipe, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , stainless brake lines, slotted/drilled rotors, BC Racing BR coilovers, Performance Autowerks intercooler, DDMWorks CAI, charge pipes and braces, RPM rollbar
post #161 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I photo copied my tag at 100% size, cut it out, put it in a plastic bag and then mounted it to the large cargo box that rides on the carrier with a chrome license plate frame (leaving the original attached to the car). Looks like the real thing. I also put some reflectors around the edges of the box.

Mark

2007 Aggressive GXP
Solo Street Race Exhaust
Side-panel Rebadge (GXP)
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/s...5&postcount=12
Curt 11119 Trailer Hitch
Trifecta Budget Tune
Drag Race #19 Wheels
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/a...507_105709.jpg
post #162 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurrier View Post
I photo copied my tag at 100% size, cut it out, put it in a plastic bag and then mounted it to the large cargo box that rides on the carrier with a chrome license plate frame (leaving the original attached to the car). Looks like the real thing. I also put some reflectors around the edges of the box.
This may keep the obstructed plate from being noticed, but could cause more trouble if it actually is, depending on the mood of the officer involved.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #163 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:22 PM

Here is an option to consider for water-proof luggage. These are designed for equipment storage to keep the stuff inside dry. There is an o-ring seal on the cover and the snaps pull the cover very tight. I use these on some of my portable service equipment to keep them safe and dry when in the field. https://www.digikey.com/products/en/...=1&pageSize=25
And they are rated IP67 (Ingress Protection Rating) https://www.google.com/search?q=what...hrome&ie=UTF-8
There are a lot of different brands out there as with sizes. https://www.digikey.com/products/en/...=1&pageSize=25
Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode