End all, be all: Curt Trailer Hitch (and accessories) Thread - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Founding Member

Garage
Lookin Good!

Steve

eCar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsville View Post
I'm a designer for Cequent Towing, Draw-Tite, Reese Hidden Hitch etc... I've just completed a new hitch that will fit the GXP dual tailpipe without modifying, (cutting) the hitch brackets, (like on the Curt hitch).

It is a strong hitch with a thicker frame bracket on the driver's side and reinforcement bars that was tested as designed, (unlike the modified Curt hitch).

The Draw-Tite part number is 24833. It should be available sometime in February 2009. Includes ball mount and pin and clip.

Call your local hitch dealer and ask for it.

Sincerely,
Lynn
Several of us are wondering if your hitch will work on Sols (GXP's in particular) that have the DDM ProBeam installed.

Has anyone on this forum installed a hitch carrier AND the ProBeam on a GXP?

Carpe Diem
'Mysti' - '08 Mysterious 5-spd GXP, Custom HP tune, Hahn I/C, K&N filter, DDM ProBeam & Backbone, splash guards, Z0K Sway bars, poly bushings & BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback..

One by one, our government is chipping away at our individual liberties. Don't let it happen.
post #33 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Several of us are wondering if your hitch will work on Sols (GXP's in particular) that have the DDM ProBeam installed.
Shouldn't be a problem. The hitch bolts to the unibody frame members further back than the ProBeam. See my underneath picture with the proto hitch in place. I would think that with the ProBeam & the Draw-Tite hitch both installed you would definitely control the torsion issues at high speed cornering.

This is shown on a non-GXP, but it still fits the same on a GXP with dual tailpipes.
post #34 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

I thought I had PM'ed a Mod before... but could we break this thread out and move the non Curt Hitch information into a new thread for the Draw-Tite hitch? I think that would make more sense... so people can find the information on the hitch they are looking for.

Obviously deleting this post would then make sense as well.
post #35 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhammon View Post
I thought I had PM'ed a Mod before... but could we break this thread out and move the non Curt Hitch information into a new thread for the Draw-Tite hitch? I think that would make more sense... so people can find the information on the hitch they are looking for.

Obviously deleting this post would then make sense as well.
Thanks, good point, and sorry I derailed the discussion. I had never realized there was a difference between Curt hitches and Draw-Tite hitches. I support this suggestion.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

I am a proud Solstice GXP owner (Flash). My wife, A FORMER GM engineer, is a proud Solstice GXP Coupe owner (Wicked).

My other hobby: hot turbo wastegate nut adjustment.
post #36 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM

Makes sense to me. As they're different animals.
post #37 of 163 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Founding Member

We're installing the Curt hitch now and ran into a problem where the hole on the left side of the plate flange will not clear the rearward bolt protruding from the driver side frame rail. It's off by at least 1/4th inch. Grinding the flange slots now to provide the clearance.

Anybody experience this? 30 minutes has just exceeded two hours.

Amelia Clunkenquiet - She's cool and she made history.
My 2006 All American, Coast 2 Coast, Rt. 66 pics. 22 states, 9,000 miles in 4 weeks roadtrip.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ad-trip-20928/
Founder MASC/MASSC
Founder - KAPPAS for the Cause http://www.sollivision.com
Contact [email protected] for info on MASC/MASSC.

2014 NASSM in the POCONOS!
post #38 of 163 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solli4me View Post
We're installing the Curt hitch now and ran into a problem where the hole on the left side of the plate flange will not clear the rearward bolt protruding from the driver side frame rail. It's off by at least 1/4th inch. Grinding the flange slots now to provide the clearance.

Anybody experience this? 30 minutes has just exceeded two hours.
Not sure of your issue here... I don't recall (and didn't climb under mine) a bolt sticking out anywhere.

There were three holes in the rear frame rail, with the hitch being mounted to the two forward most holes. No bolts in the way, and nothing for them to have been mounted to either. I'm really confused here as to your problem... are you certain you are installing it correctly?

Here is the only picture I have (from 1st page on this thread) of the underside where it mounts:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...engeside1c.jpg

And the instructions were very clear, and easy to follow. If you can post a picture of your issue, I'll try to help as best as I can.
post #39 of 163 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post

Has anyone on this forum installed a hitch carrier AND the ProBeam on a GXP?
I have the very first prototype LNF Kappa Curt hitch on my 07 Redline. When I installed my ProBeam there were no issues. But things get REAL cramped with a hitch, ProBeam and a three inch exhaust !!!!!! I can't imagine why a DrawTite would be a problem either. A ReBar could be a different issue, so speaking with Dave @ Dejon would be a good idea. If you mount a hitch, some of the exhaust options will be eliminated.

Redline (pre-halt), Pearl, Black/Red
complete option list except auto, 3" MF cat-back,
painted calipers, owner installed power lock buttons, muc uprated springs, S.P. downpipe, Wester's tune
post #40 of 163 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Founding Member

your pic basically looks like mine. I burnt out the camera batteries last night and I can't find the charger, but when I do, I'll post the pics.

Everything went according to plan - got the bolts into place in the two forward holes on the rails, secured the one side ok, but the "driver side" hitch hole would not align with the bolt hanging through the 2nd rail hole. It lined up ok with the forward hole. Almost pushed the bolt back up into the rearward rail hole trying to get the hitch hole to line up with it. Missed by 1/4 inch.

All I can figure is that I got a defective hitch or my '06 rails are out of whack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00032-20090402-2107.jpg
Views:	2187
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	14734  

Amelia Clunkenquiet - She's cool and she made history.
My 2006 All American, Coast 2 Coast, Rt. 66 pics. 22 states, 9,000 miles in 4 weeks roadtrip.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ad-trip-20928/
Founder MASC/MASSC
Founder - KAPPAS for the Cause http://www.sollivision.com
Contact [email protected] for info on MASC/MASSC.

2014 NASSM in the POCONOS!

Last edited by solli4me; 04-03-2009 at 07:28 PM.
post #41 of 163 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Garage
I installed the Curt on my 06 and my 07 GXP with no issues like this.

2007.03.26 - SP Street-Race Exhaust

2006 Mysterious Solstice
2007 Mean Solstice GXP
2008 Velocity Yellow Corvette Coupe
post #42 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Founding Member

Another thread prompted me to dig this one out and add a post.

Here are a couple of pics of my modified San Angelo Mighty Mini Haul It All Rack (available at Amazon and elsewhere). I simply had the (reversed) 1 1/4" ball mount welded to the carrier base in place of the 2" receiver insert. Makes the system lighter and more easily used, eliminating the 1 1/4" --> 2" adapter.

Enjoy.

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #43 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:50 AM

^ looks good......i would have done the same...lol....but then again...aggies think alike...

just thought i would share....you can buy the hitches at hitchsource.com and get 10 percent off using the coupon code "hitchsource" during check out.

-J
post #44 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONTAMU View Post
^ looks good......i would have done the same...lol....but then again...aggies think alike...

just thought i would share....you can buy the hitches at hitchsource.com and get 10 percent off using the coupon code "hitchsource" during check out.

-J
Hey, when you think _right_, you think _right_! WHOOP!

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #45 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 PM

1 1/4" Cargo Carrier

I found this Cargo Carrier to fit my 1 1/4" Hitch. It was designed for a ATV but looks like it will be perfect for our cars. It measures 20" x 36" and is raised so it sits above our exhausts.

2007 Sky Redline Chilli Pepper Red
5 speed, Opel Badging, Spoiler, Westers Hot Tune, Billet Grill, Side Vent Lights
Monsoon Audio, Illuminated Custom Dragon Wind Restrictor, Sky Cooler Bag
3 Million Color Wireless LED Underbody Light Kit, Knight Rider Lights
Sky Pic's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode