End all, be all: Curt Trailer Hitch (and accessories) Thread - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, I just ordered one from Draw-Tite. Going on vacation the end of the month towing my motorcycle pop-up camper and decided it would be more fun with the Solstice. Thanks for making it happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmon View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you, I just ordered one from Draw-Tite. Going on vacation the end of the month towing my motorcycle pop-up camper and decided it would be more fun with the Solstice. Thanks for making it happen.
Can you post some pictures of your pop-up camper? Now that I have my hitch installed, I may be interested.

Carpe Diem
'Mysti' - '08 Mysterious 5-spd GXP, Custom HP tune, Hahn I/C, K&N filter, DDM ProBeam & Backbone, splash guards, Z0K Sway bars, poly bushings & BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback..

One by one, our government is chipping away at our individual liberties. Don't let it happen.

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 05-12-2009 at 03:49 PM.
post #48 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:11 PM

Here are some pictures of my new Draw Tite hitch and Boone golf/suitcase carrier. The suitcases are watertight (with a neoprene gasket all around.) I'm ready for Denver now. After I return from Denver, the main use will be for golf clubs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0055 (Medium).JPG
Views:	3945
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	14952   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0053 (Medium).JPG
Views:	7085
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	14953   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0054 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2310
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	14954   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0058 (Medium).JPG
Views:	9644
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	14955   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0057.JPG
Views:	13555
Size:	574.5 KB
ID:	14956  

Carpe Diem
'Mysti' - '08 Mysterious 5-spd GXP, Custom HP tune, Hahn I/C, K&N filter, DDM ProBeam & Backbone, splash guards, Z0K Sway bars, poly bushings & BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback..

One by one, our government is chipping away at our individual liberties. Don't let it happen.

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 05-12-2009 at 04:13 PM.
post #49 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 AM

Carpe Diem that looks like a great system. Have you had any problems with the police about your plate being blocked? I C there is a place to remount the licence plate onto the carrier.

2007 Sky Redline Chilli Pepper Red
5 speed, Opel Badging, Spoiler, Westers Hot Tune, Billet Grill, Side Vent Lights
Monsoon Audio, Illuminated Custom Dragon Wind Restrictor, Sky Cooler Bag
3 Million Color Wireless LED Underbody Light Kit, Knight Rider Lights
Sky Pic's
post #50 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 11:49 AM

No problems yet because I haven't had it out on the road yet. I just got it assembled and installed a few days ago. I'll drive it around town here for a test drive, but the first real use will be next month when I head out for the Denver Nationals.

Yeah, I could remount the license plate on the carrier, but it would be a pain. Unless I get ticketed, I'll take my chances.

Carpe Diem

post #51 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 PM

I just ordered the drawtite hitch for $140 shipped from Auto Parts at AutoAnything - Auto Accessories, Truck Accessories, Aftermarket Parts, Car Covers, Tonneau Cover and Seat Covers they had the best price at $155 but if you call in your order tonight before 11, the price was $140 shipped.

I am now a happy camper and can take my bike out for a stroll at the park.
post #52 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 04:51 PM

Looking good! Now all you need is a couple of little wheels on that think and you can slide it out of the receiver and roll it into the hotel.
post #53 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 05:27 AM

I just ordered a hitch from Auto Anything. They are running a Memorial Weekend Sale, 10% off sales over $150.00. That brought the price down to under $140.00 w/free shipping.

2007 MEAN GXP
2006 AGGRESSIVE - traded in for GXP!

Member, Pontiac - Oakland Club International
North Coast Pontiac Chapter

GREATER CLEVELAND ROADSTERS
post #54 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Here are some pictures of my new Draw Tite hitch and Boone golf/suitcase carrier. The suitcases are watertight (with a neoprene gasket all around.) I'm ready for Denver now. After I return from Denver, the main use will be for golf clubs.

Very nice! Reminds me of my 1st carrier which was a golfbag carrier:

Here's my new Curtis hitch with an ATV carrier:

Amelia Clunkenquiet - She's cool and she made history.
My 2006 All American, Coast 2 Coast, Rt. 66 pics. 22 states, 9,000 miles in 4 weeks roadtrip.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ad-trip-20928/
Founder MASC/MASSC
Founder - KAPPAS for the Cause http://www.sollivision.com
Contact [email protected] for info on MASC/MASSC.

2014 NASSM in the POCONOS!
post #55 of 163 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 04:36 PM

I've been doing internet searches, and HitchesToGo dot com has the best price so far for Draw Tite 24833 at $143.22 with free shipping, with Ball Mount, Pin & Clip Included.

Anybody find a better price?
post #56 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Luggage Rack Works Well

Well, I just got back from NASSM last night. I have to say that I am totally pleased with the Boone rack (see link to picture below.) I logged over 3K miles. The luggage rack works great and the waterproof suitcases (old Samsonites found at at a garage sale for $10 each) did the job well. For about two hours in Utah while driving between Moab and Torrey, it rained about as hard as I have ever driven in. The wipers couldn't clear the water away, and it was not flowing off a crowned road very fast. I had to slow down really slow to avoid hydroplaning, but the suitcases kept the insides perfectly dry.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/a...d-100_0057.jpg

Carpe Diem

post #57 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Where arevyou finding the boone rack with the suitcases? All i can find is the boone rack with no suitcases. Thanks mike

If you gotta ask "how much?" You cant afford it.
post #58 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Founding Member

I think you have to supply your own suitcases.

Amelia Clunkenquiet - She's cool and she made history.
My 2006 All American, Coast 2 Coast, Rt. 66 pics. 22 states, 9,000 miles in 4 weeks roadtrip.
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ad-trip-20928/
Founder MASC/MASSC
Founder - KAPPAS for the Cause http://www.sollivision.com
Contact [email protected] for info on MASC/MASSC.

2014 NASSM in the POCONOS!
post #59 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
Where are you finding the Boone rack with the suitcases? All i can find is the Boone rack with no suitcases. Thanks mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by solli4me View Post
I think you have to supply your own suitcases.
They were two separate acquisitions. I found the suitcases first at a local garage sale quite a while before I found the Boone carrier. I had originally intended using the cases with my Classic Carrier luggage rack I had used on my '07 NA Sol. But the luggage rack wouldn't fit on my GXP because the OnStar antenna was in the way, so I went looking for another solution. Actually, the Boone carrier is designed for use with golf clubs.

I had been looking for waterproof suitcases for some time, and any that I found were either way too pricey, or just didn't fit my needs. What I found were old Samsonites (circa 1980s, I'd guess). I could not find any newer models from Samsonite (oar any other manufacturers) of similar design.

Also the back of my Sol gets a light dusting of soot after a while between washes, so I was kinda concerned about the suitcases getting all sooty from the exhaust. But to my pleasant surprise there was zero problem with soot on the suitcases.

Carpe Diem

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 07-06-2009 at 02:07 PM.
post #60 of 163 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 04:52 PM

Oh, o.k. i thought that the weather tite cases were part of the rack and then you put your own suitcases inside of them. I dont think the mrs. wants her samsonite hanging out out in the elements. Maybe thats why God made garbage bags.

If you gotta ask "how much?" You cant afford it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode