Foot Well Lighting - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Hoosier GXP : Excellent addition to the post AztekzRpurty. ............... Now if we could make some of my other ideas this simple
And it saved me from having to post more pictures !

Next time, post the idea first. We may make your work a little easier.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztekzRpurty View Post
You're going to have to wait till Russellville, cause a Russellville Whatta-burger isn't the same thing as a Whataburger.

I think the degree is the angle of the spread of the beam. The higher the angle the broader the beam.
Knew that about the "Whatta" vs. the Whata"!

I meant I was too impatient to wait for the LED project. Probably do it next weekend.

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #33 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Founding Member

sweet.

I plan to add a switch and some engine compartment lighting next weekend, if Stuck doesn't get me too drunk on the winery run.

(Also known as Hal 9000)
"Emmaline" 5913 Envious/Ebony - loaded except base radio/no xm/polished
My Mod Page
How to lower your front license plate How to install an aftermarket headunit Upload your BEST pics here!
post #34 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 10:40 AM

Here is a good site for LED's. They are little cheaper than the "Super Bright Led's" site and offer more of a variety of lengths.
LEDs - underbody kits, cathodes, flexible LED strips, dome lights
post #35 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Installed mine today. Thanks to everyone for the detailed instructions. Especially to JR for the photos they helped ALOT!! Also at the same time rewired my windrestrictor into the driving lights. Wiring it into the rear window defroster was a good ideal at the time but I want it to stay on longer then 30 minutes at a time.

Thanks again for all of the instruction, you guys are the best!

I'm baaaaaaack!

Last edited by jrsno1fan; 09-21-2008 at 04:17 PM.
post #36 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:39 PM

Hello, I am an idiot when it comes to electricity...

1. I am trying to find the right fuse link (the one you have pictured) - do you have a part number for it? I have gone to the store three times and have gotten three different ones that don't fit.

2. I bought the led strips but don't understand how to wire it - do I connect the two black wires together and black/grey to black/grey and then connect the black grey to the blue connector on the fuse link?

3. Do the black wires connect to the grey wire you identified in the wiring harness?

I know I am clueless, so any help would be appreciated. thanks!
post #37 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Founding Member

Sorry Jonymac, just saw your post.

Here is the fuse link I bought at autozone. It has to be the 'mini' size.

As for the wiring, I was stumped for a minute too thinking they would be wired serial, but that doesn't work. You have to connect all the positive wires, (white on my led's), to the blue connector on the fuse link, and all the ground wires, (black on my led's), to the grey wire I identified in the harness.

(Also known as Hal 9000)
"Emmaline" 5913 Envious/Ebony - loaded except base radio/no xm/polished
My Mod Page
How to lower your front license plate How to install an aftermarket headunit Upload your BEST pics here!

Last edited by AztekzRpurty; 10-20-2008 at 10:16 AM.
post #38 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:56 AM

Make sure you get the "Mini" connector. We had a bear of a time trying to find the right one when we did KYs this past weekend.

Here are some more pics of the wiring install.

I'm baaaaaaack!
post #39 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Founding Member

Here's a couple of pics of the white LEDs I put in my footwells and mirror.

Thanks to all who made this an easy mod to do. It really makes a difference IMO.

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #40 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:25 PM

I added a couple more strips at the top of the windshield, behind the visors. I found that the lights in the mirror over powered the red on the floor, so I disconnected the gray wire from the mirror and used it to light up the red LEDs up there. Now only the LEDs come on when the doors open/unlock. The map lights only come on when you use the buttons on the mirror. I tried to take some pics, but they didn't come out too good. I'll try again another time.

Mysterious, Lightside, GXP, My Mod Page

NASSOA founding member

St. Louis Area Activities
post #41 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:44 PM

I did something along the same lines as BLK GXP using 4 small led pods. I put one on each side of the visors. Also disconeccted the mirror lamps from the gray wire. Put a switch in by the drivers visor inside edge to operate the now red interior lighting. I have some pix, but not on my laptop, so I will post sometime when I get home.

My Mods Post (as of June 16, 2010)

Past fun cars: 65 Mustang convert, 69 Opel GT, 73 Olds Cutlass, 70 Chevelle SS, 85 Jeep CJ7

Avatar photo courtesy of Tommyboy, at 2010 NASSM

What do I want to be when I grow up? In denial.
post #42 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM

I used the same kind of LED strips that I put under the dash. I stuck them to the part of the windshield that is blacked out. I took the gray wire out of the mirror harness and connected it to the - negative wire on the LED strips. I connected the + positive on the LED strips to the blue wire in the mirror harness, but left it connected to the mirror as well. Now I have soft red glow on the top of the dash as well as below. If I need more light, I just have to push the buttons on the mirror. Maybe later I'll add a switch to turn them on as well.

Here's some pics. The first two are with the trim removed. With it back in place you can not see the strips at all from a normal seated position. They are slightly noticeable from outside the front of the car when lit.

Right side:

Left side:

Soft red glow:

NASSOA founding member

post #43 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 11:23 PM

I'm home now, so here are my pix:

The LED pods, there are 4 across the trim atop the windshield. Red on/off switch by drivers inside pod.

At night through drivers door, top up.

Another, lower angle shows center pods.

My Mods Post (as of June 16, 2010)

Past fun cars: 65 Mustang convert, 69 Opel GT, 73 Olds Cutlass, 70 Chevelle SS, 85 Jeep CJ7

Avatar photo courtesy of Tommyboy, at 2010 NASSM

What do I want to be when I grow up? In denial.
post #44 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 07:21 PM

Quandry! Thanks guys for all your help. I wired up blue led strips in the footwells - looks freakin awesome. HOWEVER! Everything seemed fine - they dimmed and turned off along with the mirror lights as expected. I then came out to my car like 10 minutes later, and the buggers were on again - not my mirror lights, just the footwell lights! Opened the door, they flickered quickly once, closed the door, after 20 seconds they dimmed with the mirror lights as expected and went off. 10 or so minutes later - they mysteriously came on again - I waited to see if they would og off, but an hour later they were still on. I disconencted them in the mean time hoping to not run down the battery. They are wired as described above. Any ideas?
post #45 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:00 PM

There is probably not enough load to turn them completely off. The gray wire is controlled by the BCM, and the circuit never truly opens completely. You can either add a resistor in series with the LEDs or wire in a relay to isolate the LEDs from the BCM circuit. LEDs alone draw very little current. Some that you buy have resistors already wired to them. I noticed at Advanced Auto Parts they sell the resistors to help with these kinds of issues.

NASSOA founding member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode