Foot Well Lighting - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:13 PM

My pods never completely shut off either, but they are very very dim in the off mode. I don't notice them when night driving anymore. There not noticeable at night with the top up, unless you bend down and look through the window. The draw is minimal, I have let the car sit for four days with no problem starting. I imagine the draw is still there with the mirror lights, just so little draw they didn't glow at all like the LEDs do.

My Mods Post (as of June 16, 2010)

Past fun cars: 65 Mustang convert, 69 Opel GT, 73 Olds Cutlass, 70 Chevelle SS, 85 Jeep CJ7

Avatar photo courtesy of Tommyboy, at 2010 NASSM

What do I want to be when I grow up? In denial.

Last edited by crappa; 10-22-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:45 AM

Mine do shutoff completely - the problem is that they turn fully back on 10 minutes after I leave the car and stay that way! I do not know what kind of timer is in the system to turn them on and not the mirror lights. You would think the mirror lights would turn on too after 10 minutes. Any info on resisters - size, type, how to wire in etc?
post #48 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to cartmann32
Mine do not turn all the way off either. As stated above, it's an issue with the ECM, well I wouldnt' way issue, but it's just how our car works.

Trax Customs
www.traxcustoms.com
post #49 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 12:18 PM

How about the trning back on fully after 10 mins without the mirror lights turning on - anyone have this action? That just doesn't make sense to me...
post #50 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 AM

Update: I rewired the footwell LEDs this past weekend. No more problems! Woohoo! They dim and turn fully off with the mirror lights and now do not magically turn back on after 10 minutes. Still don't know why this was happening, but now its not, so I am very happy!
post #51 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonymac View Post
Update: I rewired the footwell LEDs this past weekend. No more problems! Woohoo! They dim and turn fully off with the mirror lights and now do not magically turn back on after 10 minutes. Still don't know why this was happening, but now its not, so I am very happy!

How did you fix it? Did you add a resistor?
post #52 of 118 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:13 PM

No resister - just rewired the whole thing - don't know anythnig bout resisters - maybe I had a short or something. Replaced the fuse link and installed 2 new 5 amp breakers in it. Now that I think about it, I was also replacing the throttle body at the time with a big bore throttle body from Saturn Motorsports and reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hour so the computer would relearn the throttle position and clear my pesky CEL. Soooo - maybe the computer reset contributed to fixing things. I know - crappy troubleshooting methodology, but it works now!
post #53 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:58 PM

So... how did you get the C3 block apart so you could see and trace the wires... I did a "tug test", but figure there must be a trick to popping it open...

Thanks,
RaiderFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AztekzRpurty View Post
Just finished phase I of mine. Here's some pics, and a video when it gets through processing on youtube. Thanks to everyone for the great info.

post #54 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRaiderFan View Post
So... how did you get the C3 block apart so you could see and trace the wires... I did a "tug test", but figure there must be a trick to popping it open...

Thanks,
RaiderFan
The little (8 mm, 10mm?) bolt in the center must be unscrewed, then the whole "plug" unit can be pulled. Then the cover can be removed from that and the wires exposed.

Envious, ebony leather, loaded, DDM Stage II S/C, headers/cat/exhaust, 4-piston brakes/slotted rotors, Probeam, Backbone, Lil' Chromies, K-sphere pedals, Kazera KZ-L wheels, the TWEETY door unlock/lock button, High Note horn, Brushed Al door sills, etched/lighted WindRestrictor, white LED map/footwell lights, 3rd brake light pulser. --- She moves!
post #55 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 02:19 AM

Love this mod and after previous help from BLK GXP and this awesome forum thread here I think I can do the wiring without sending my car up in smoke.

I want to do RED LED lighting to go with the dash. Since these lights are only going to come on when the door is opened and closed they can be as bright as they make them.

Here are my questions:

Which LEDS are the best and brightest to use? Who makes them and what size do I want for the foot wells?

Is everyone using the adhesive backing that just stick on to mount the LEDs in place ~ or ~ is there a better method for mounting the LEDs?

Related question... Has anyone had trouble with the adhesive weakening and the led bars drop down after awhile?

I see some have actually replaced the actual dome mirror lights with RED LEDS... How is that done and again which LED mfg do I want to order? (an actual part number would be extremely helpful so that I dont order the wrong thing) FYI - I have a 2008 GXP with the Onstar controls - I know that makes a difference.

Final question... I have the wiring down (I think)... Based on the fact that I have absolutely nothing electrical parts wise here... Does someone have a complete shopping list put together including all the electrical pieces, connectors, wires, relays, taps, and wiring I need to complete this project? - (again actual part/model numbers would be great and very much appreciated)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to a complete novice like myself.

Last edited by BIO Hazard; 02-15-2009 at 02:29 AM.
post #56 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen Orange View Post
Love this mod and after previous help from BLK GXP and this awesome forum thread here I think I can do the wiring without sending my car up in smoke.

I want to do RED LED lighting to go with the dash. Since these lights are only going to come on when the door is opened and closed they can be as bright as they make them.

Here are my questions:

Which LEDS are the best and brightest to use? Who makes them and what size do I want for the foot wells?

Is everyone using the adhesive backing that just stick on to mount the LEDs in place ~ or ~ is there a better method for mounting the LEDs?

Related question... Has anyone had trouble with the adhesive weakening and the led bars drop down after awhile?

I see some have actually replaced the actual dome mirror lights with RED LEDS... How is that done and again which LED mfg do I want to order? (an actual part number would be extremely helpful so that I dont order the wrong thing) FYI - I have a 2008 GXP with the Onstar controls - I know that makes a difference.

Final question... I have the wiring down (I think)... Based on the fact that I have absolutely nothing electrical parts wise here... Does someone have a complete shopping list put together including all the electrical pieces, connectors, wires, relays, taps, and wiring I need to complete this project? - (again actual part/model numbers would be great and very much appreciated)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to a complete novice like myself.
Here is a god website where I bought my LED's I used in my car.

LEDs - underbody kits, cathodes, flexible LED strips, dome lights I used the flexible LED strips and they come with adhesive backing.
post #57 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:03 AM

Thanks for the link... Lots of lights here to chose from...Which did you get? I should mention I dont want to solder anything. Did you have to solder anything?
post #58 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 AM

This is a great mod GM should incorporate into future Solstice models and offer it as an accessory kit to current owners for purchase. Great post and info.... Just wish someone one list a comprehensive/complete parts list (with model numbers) needed to complete the installation of this awesome mod.
post #59 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Brazen Orange : This is a great mod GM should incorporate into future Solstice models and offer it as an accessory kit to current owners for purchase. Great post and info.... Just wish someone one list a comprehensive/complete parts list (with model numbers) needed to complete the installation of this awesome mod.
What future models ?

Kappasphere, et al, are the more likely source for a kit. This type of thing is way too niche-market for an OEM.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #60 of 118 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

No soldering needed, just some wire ends and wire and a pair of crimps Get a fuse holder from Autozone Part #BP/HHA (don't forget the fuses to fit it I used 3 amp) I might add that the fuses are hard to insert into the holder so don't be afraid to apply a little muscle. A 8 or 9 inch led strip will work fine, can also be gotten at AutoZone and follow the install instructions from this post and you are in business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode