Foot Well Lighting - Page 8 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier GXP View Post
You need to use the blue and white wire because the dimming out of the light is controlled by the BCM through the ground, if you tap into the fuse link you will have a constant on situation unless you tie the ground wire into the blue and white wire. The blue and white wire is actually a ground wire.
I'm about to add some of these also. Is the blue and white wire in the BCM harness also? I'm not spotting it in any of the pictures. Also is it blue with white strip or white with Blue strip. I'm assuming it's the first of the two since you said it "blue and white". Correct?

DEEP, GT KIT,RK RAM AIR HOOD, DUAL WING, UP-SHIELD, EIB SPRNGS, DEJON CAI & I/C PIPES, CSTM EXHAUST,CSTM PAINT AND GRAPHICS, RMR STYLE BAR, LED AND ACCENT LIGHTS, CSTM GAUGE FACE, DASHHAWK, LAMBO DOORS, AVIC F700BT NAV, BONUS SUB & AMP, Prem. pkg w/leather, A/C, Auto, 18" chrome wheels, sport pedals, Backbone, Probeam, WERKS Tune.

"BLUE DEMON"

"For those who fight for it, FREEDOM has a flavor the protected will never know"

Former WCKCC member. Now MKC member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnys GXP View Post
I'm about to add some of these also. Is the blue and white wire in the BCM harness also? I'm not spotting it in any of the pictures. Also is it blue with white strip or white with Blue strip. I'm assuming it's the first of the two since you said it "blue and white". Correct?
To clear up a mistake on my part it is not the blue and white wire you need to hook the ground to it is the "gray" wire show in post #53 here https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...25/index4.html I am not sure of the significance of the blue and white wire.

Last edited by Hoosier GXP; 04-02-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: fix mistake
post #108 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
To clear up a mistake on my part it is not the blue and white wire you need to hook the ground to it is the "gray" wire show in post #53 here https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...25/index4.html I am not sure of the significance of the blue and white wire.
Got it. Thanks Hoosier. Gray wire it is.

DEEP, GT KIT,RK RAM AIR HOOD, DUAL WING, UP-SHIELD, EIB SPRNGS, DEJON CAI & I/C PIPES, CSTM EXHAUST,CSTM PAINT AND GRAPHICS, RMR STYLE BAR, LED AND ACCENT LIGHTS, CSTM GAUGE FACE, DASHHAWK, LAMBO DOORS, AVIC F700BT NAV, BONUS SUB & AMP, Prem. pkg w/leather, A/C, Auto, 18" chrome wheels, sport pedals, Backbone, Probeam, WERKS Tune.

"BLUE DEMON"

"For those who fight for it, FREEDOM has a flavor the protected will never know"

Former WCKCC member. Now MKC member.
post #109 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 PM

Hate to drag up an old topic here, but just getting around to finally putting some footwell lighting in my Inferno, and I did most of it without even having to find this thread. Basically remembered how I tapped the door sills in, and went from there. The only problem is, the ground wire. I don't want these lights going off with the map lights, I want them on all the time, while the car is running. I found the perfect wire to tap into for power, that comes on with the ignition, but the ground wire I tapped into (same as the door sills) makes them shut off when the map lights shut off. How can I fix this? I assume there are a couple/few ground wires I can possibly tap into. Which one would provide me with a constant ground?

2008 Pontiac Solstice
Inferno Orange Metallic (No 'Brazen' badge in Canada)
2.4L N/A (for now!)
GMPP Cold Air Intake
Custom Fusebox Cover
Billet Engine Bay Covers
Custom WindRestrictor
Custom Illuminated Door Sills by WindRestrictor
Air Bag Light Cover "WARNING: Ejection seat"
Custom Interior Graphics
Custom Plates "INFRNO"
Future Mods:
DDM Supercharger
Werks ECM Tune Reflashed
Probably never ending..
post #110 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 PM

Strip the end of the wire and wrap it around any screw that goes into a piece of metal under the dash. The whole car body is a ground.

07 Deep GXP -

Foot Well lights, side marker turn signal, trunk spring, Antenna Delete, Retractable License plate, Clear Turn signals, Painted Calipers+decals

My solstice Site with HowTo Articles- http://www.cherod.com/solstice
post #111 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 PM

Well, ya, I could do that, but I'd rather tap into a wire to keep it clean if possible.

2008 Pontiac Solstice
2.4L N/A (for now!)
GMPP Cold Air Intake
Custom Fusebox Cover
Billet Engine Bay Covers
Custom WindRestrictor
Custom Interior Graphics
Custom Plates "INFRNO"
Future Mods:
DDM Supercharger
Werks ECM Tune Reflashed
Probably never ending..
post #112 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 03:29 AM

Then find another wire that attaches to a wire under the dash and tie into that. Who's going to see it anyway? Crimp a connector on the end of the wire to put it under the screw if you want it to be pretty.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #113 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiaz View Post
Strip the end of the wire and wrap it around any screw that goes into a piece of metal under the dash. The whole car body is a ground.
I agree. What's not clean about putting the ground wire around a screw? Crimp a terminal lug on the wire then attach it the screw if you want a "cleaner" install. Tapping into another wire to find ground is unnecessary and electrically idiotic in this case.

"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/SOLO Exhaust
post #114 of 118 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 PM

I was just going off the idea from the door sills, that used the ground wire from the map lights. I wanted to keep everything tucked in around the BCM, but no worries, I decided to go with the advice here and put a lug on the one screw by the BCM so the day is saved. I'm not a professional at this by any means, but I do like to make it look like it wasn't spliced together by a 16 year old either.

2008 Pontiac Solstice
2.4L N/A (for now!)
GMPP Cold Air Intake
Custom Fusebox Cover
Billet Engine Bay Covers
Custom WindRestrictor
Custom Interior Graphics
Custom Plates "INFRNO"
Future Mods:
DDM Supercharger
Werks ECM Tune Reflashed
Probably never ending..
post #115 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
For those wanting to add LED lighting to the foot well and tie them into the map light so they will dim out like the map lights here is a short tutorial for the proper connections. I have the standard mirror and have OnStar so if you have the same mirror these instructions will work for you. You do not need to install a relay with this setup. I used 9 inch led strips that have adhesive strips purchased from Advanced Auto.

Remove the sun visors and the pull down on the panel above the windshield it has metal clips that snap in. Once panel is down you will see a bundle of wiring running from the mirror. Gently peel back some of the binding and locate the "Gray" wire.

Be careful not to mistake it for a gray wire with a black stripe in it. Once wire is located use a wire connector like the one in picture. This wire is connected to the ground wire on the Led lights. I connected my wire here and fed it through the straps that hold the harness for the mirror.

I then took small plastic ties and tied the new wire to the mirror harness so they will not rattle later when driving. I pulled down the side panel and fed the wire down and removed the side dash panel to access it.

I then went to the fuse panel on the passenger side and found a "hot" outlet that does not require the key to be on. I used slot #27 the interior lights 10amp fuse socket.

Using a fuse link I purchased at Auto Zone

I removed the center console and ran my wiring around to the passenger side fuse box.

Here is the wire connector I used to tap into the gray wire in the mirror harness.

I wired 2 led stripes and tested my setup and it worked perfect.
GODROD
Looks like the pics moved. Good thing I had a probe and decent memory. Love this mod (my first)!

I Skipped altering the map lights but did tap into the circuit for theater dimming. I also found a good cross over point over the hump and slid my fish tape through there and pulled some white wire as a future pull string as well as the leads for the driver side.

Here is my fish tape entering the passenger side hump:

You can see the end of the fish tape through this slit:

All other pics are as described in Hoosier GXP's awesome post. Thanks Hoosier!

Here is the grey wire (one of 3 on my gxp) in this connector

Tapping the grey (ground wire)

Tapping the power as he described

Result 1

Result 2

SoloDio
2008 Brazen Orange GXP

Last edited by GODROD; 04-27-2012 at 10:25 PM.
post #116 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 09:36 AM

Garage
Why can I not see the pix in this post (or most others)? Thoughts?
post #117 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:15 PM

Any ideas of what wire to tap if I want my footwell leds to come on whenever the headlights are on?
post #118 of 118 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:51 PM

So to follow up, I tapped into the dashboard illumination wires of the fog light switch so than my blue LED light bars mounted in the footwells come on whenever the headlights and dash lighting turn on. Works perfectly.

Last edited by Steeleye; 07-04-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode