heater/AC blower stopped working - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 AM

My luck the damn thing will be working! Oh well, if that's the case I'll just work on detailing the paint and listen to the Detroit Lions lose.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Had juice at the connector on the resistor pack. All connections looked good - nothing burnt. Cleaned them a bit anyway but still no luck. Pulled blower and put 12v to it - spins right up.

Ordered harness and resistor from gmpartsdirect - $46 (plus $18 s&h? lol!) Hope this gets it.

post #33 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 AM

Ordered Monday evening. Thursday morning gmpartsdirect still shows my order as "in process". Anybody have experience buying from this site? Is a 3 or more day delay in shipping typical?

post #34 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
Ordered Monday evening. Thursday morning gmpartsdirect still shows my order as "in process". Anybody have experience buying from this site? Is a 3 or more day delay in shipping typical?
NO it is not, Yes I have bought from them many times, what it does mean is they do not have part in stock and they are probably trying to locate the part for you...soon if they are unsuccessful they will email you and advise you that the part is currently NOT in stock and if you want to keep the order open. The nice thing about this outfit is, they don't bill ya until they ship the part.. OR you can cancel the order and not be charged for anything..

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties
Barack Obama
post #35 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks MB. Through the power of solsticeforum.com they apparently picked up on the "vibes". Received e-mail tonight that the order shipped. I thought it odd because both items showed as "in stock", but I deal with inventory inaccuracies at work also, so I understand how that goes.

Hopefully this will get me blowing hot air again soon. ; )

post #36 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Harness and resistor pack isntalled. No joy. My head keeps coming back to a ground wire somewhere. I don't know what else could cause it to work intermittently.

I appeal once again to the brain trust of solsticeforum.com - any ideas?

post #37 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Harness and resistor pack isntalled. No joy. My head keeps coming back to a ground wire somewhere. I don't know what else could cause it to work intermittently.

I appeal once again to the brain trust of solsticeforum.com - any ideas?
OK, so looking at the wiring diagram, the ground is common for all elements of the Heating/Cooling control (Ground point G305, behind the passenger seat). So if the ground itself was faulty you'd see issues with lights etc, on the controller.

If ONLY the fan stops when you have the issue, then it would point to the fan switch itself, or, hopefully, just the connector at the back of the controller could be loose. In either case, you're gonna have to take off the 'boomerang' dash to get at it.

Here's a bunch of photos of inside the dash (see posts 2 & 3 for the A/C controller and its innards): https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...o-inside-8005/

Then this is how to get into the dash to get at the controller... https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...acement-15707/

Good luck!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #38 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 08:59 AM

Thanks soup. The fact that everything else is working made me question my logic re: the ground. Looks like I'm "dashboard divin'" this afternoon.

post #39 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 02:43 PM

Okay, to summarize.

1. Blower has worked on and off erratically. Lately more off than on.
2. Checked all fuses - good. Replaced HVAC relay "just because".
3. Checked connection at resistor pack and looked good - not melted like the OP in this thread, not even dirty. Cleaned and reconnected. No go.
5. Pulled blower motor, hooked it to 12vdc on the bench and ran great.
5. Blower worked twice and quit working twice in the car since that was done.
6. Replaced resistor pack and wiring harness. No go.
7. Pulled the boomerang off and checked all connections. Nothing burnt, nothing even dirty. Plugged everything back in and HVAC went into recalibration mode itself. Still no blower.
8. Pulled the 3 dial control "unit" from the dash. Checked the rotary fan switch with an ohmeter. Tested good.
9. Checked the plug that goes to the rotary switch - the "first" pin to ground (probe onto the console) shows 11.8 vdc.

My logic follows thusly:

12 vdc to the rotary switch means the juice is getting there.

The rotary switch measures the same impedance on all 4 positions so I'm inclined to believe it's not the switch. I'm inclined to believe it's not microprocessor or circuit board related as this is just 12vdc to a rotary switch that passes it to the resistor pack that controls the voltage passed along to the blower motor. The juice "should" be getting there.

The blower motor works fine when jumped. The resistor pack and under-dash harness have been replaced. If there is 12vdc+ going to the rotary switch, the rotary switch is sending 12vdc+ along to the resistor pack (which I will need to re-establish now that the harness has been replaced) I have to have a lost connection at the resistor pack, between the resistor pack and the blower motor, or a lost ground, don't I?

The last dealer I worked with did fine by me on the catalytic convertor - not his fault the part wasn't available. His lack of experience on the car did show, however, when I picked it up and he told me they believe I have a transmission mount that needed to be replaced. Said they could hear a "thunk" during low speed/rpm shifts. Didn't give me a "warm fuzzy" regarding future visits.

post #40 of 111 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 PM

Hmmmm... really puzzling! I would suggest the possibility of a faulty brush contact on the motor (presuming it has brushes) like you sometimes get on starter motors. Then, depending on where the motor stoped last time, results in start/no-start next time. A stretch though, maybe.

How about working backwards from symptoms... does everything else work fine (on the A/C controller) when the fan is stopped? What (if you know) gets the blower working again. Can you track any commonalities in working or not working?

UPDATE: Ahhhh, I just noticed something else. Power to the motor is supplied via the HVAC relay (#30 in the BCM). That relay is energised by some logic which (apparently) depends on the coolant level sensor. Are you sure your coolant level is good (or that sensor, or its wiring, is not suspect)? Also check that HVAC relay, make sure it's not loose.

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 12-28-2012 at 06:45 PM.
post #41 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 PM

Starter motor spins right up when I jumper juice to it, so I don't think it's a brush issue.

Heat, Vent, A/C all work as usual, just no fan. If you're driving you can feel heat/cool when you call for it and from whatever position you put them to.

Have no commonalities on work/don't work. First time it happened we'd had the top down on a cool evening so I was running the blower on 3 or 4 all the way home. That made me think we may have melted the connector contact as discussed by others earlier in this thread. Obviously not the issue. Have since had it work/not work twice on the same trip into town. Not it's "not work" pretty much consistently (after all work done to this point.)

Coolant level is good and sensor should be fine. (That's how I detected the friggin' water pump issue earlier this summer.) I reseated the connector and no-go.

HVAC relay #30 was the first thing I replaced when the symptoms first occurred.

I'm coming back to the HVAC panel itself as the wiring diagram indicates "logic" in that area. Due to the fact that I seem to have voltages where they should be, there must be something in the logic on the PCB inside that control panel that's not enabling the HVAC relay #30 or the "high speed blower" relay which I interpret as a bypass to use full voltage instead of through the resistor pack?

I really don't want to start 2013 by writing a check to a dealer...

Thanks for the help!

post #42 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Starter motor spins right up when I jumper juice to it, so I don't think it's a brush issue.

Heat, Vent, A/C all work as usual, just no fan. If you're driving you can feel heat/cool when you call for it and from whatever position you put them to.

Have no commonalities on work/don't work. First time it happened we'd had the top down on a cool evening so I was running the blower on 3 or 4 all the way home. That made me think we may have melted the connector contact as discussed by others earlier in this thread. Obviously not the issue. Have since had it work/not work twice on the same trip into town. Not it's "not work" pretty much consistently (after all work done to this point.)

Coolant level is good and sensor should be fine. (That's how I detected the friggin' water pump issue earlier this summer.) I reseated the connector and no-go.

HVAC relay #30 was the first thing I replaced when the symptoms first occurred.

I'm coming back to the HVAC panel itself as the wiring diagram indicates "logic" in that area. Due to the fact that I seem to have voltages where they should be, there must be something in the logic on the PCB inside that control panel that's not enabling the HVAC relay #30 or the "high speed blower" relay which I interpret as a bypass to use full voltage instead of through the resistor pack?

I really don't want to start 2013 by writing a check to a dealer...

Thanks for the help!
Nope, not according to my wiring diagrams. There's no logic in the fan controller for the fan itself, just the big switch. The only 'logic' for the fan is that which controls the HVAC relay, and that's in the BCM.

post #43 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 AM

Upon further review that is absolutely correct. I erroneously assumed that the fan speed control would not be enabled until a "mode" is selected. (I have other vehicles that have an "off" position in the heat/vent/defrost selector. Guess I should pay closer attention to what the hell I'm looking at?)

That leaves me at the HVAC relay (#30) and/or the "hi-speed HVAC relay", correct?

post #44 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Ok,
Push in all relays and fuses in the BCM,ECM.
Mine were all not seated.
LLLFLY

08 PW SKY R/L 5-spd,The Wolf
Winner Goodyear Bimp flight 2010 NASSM
Best of Show Old Bridge,NJ 2011
Winner best interior 2012 NASSM
DDMWorks:,WindRestrictor
Elizabethtown,PA
post #45 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
That leaves me at the HVAC relay (#30) and/or the "hi-speed HVAC relay", correct?
Yep. The "hi-speed" one only comes into play at full fan speed, so if you're having problems at any speed, then the #30 (and it's logic driver) would seem to be the place to look.

One other thing though... I notice that the main power line and fuse for the fan is in the under-hood fuseblock. I've seen reports of folks having cracked circuit boards in that fuseblock, causing weird intermittent problems. Perhaps this is also one of them? You could try to press-on/flex that board when the fan's going and see if that affects it.

Otherwise, you really need to debug the voltage path at a time when the fan is NOT working, and see where the power stops (if you can).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode