"How To" Convert Side Marker Lights into Marker/Turn Signals - Page 11 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
Just spotted this ..............

<snip>

View The Blinker Video of my Solstice

They do seem to blink different than the RPM Motorsports vid. My side markers blink in same pattern as the front one and in the RTM movie they seem to blink intermittent.
I'm curious how you got lights on the same side to blink at the same time. All the example videos I see look like the RPM video where lights on the same side blink in alternate.

2007 SLY w/ Ebony Leather & Top
Power | Convenience | Polished w/ Polished Caps | LSD | ABS | A/C | 6-Disc w/ MP3 | Monsoon | XM
GMPP CAI | GMPP Cat-Back Performance Exhaust | Kappashield | 2.55" Stubby | Kappapouch | GXP Alum Sill Plates | GM All Weather Mats & Splash Guards

My mother said to me, "If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope." Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso. ~Pablo Picasso

Last edited by NYC_Sol; 09-16-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 09:58 AM

No idea. The guy prepping the car to make it road legal did it. I assume he just reconnected the cables so the sidemarker now is getting power from the turn signal.
post #153 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:42 AM
Founding Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
CS, you shouldn't need double relays to make the nod work with two sets of LEDs.
The thread that never dies.

So I'm planning on doing this mod, but am I understanding correctly that the simple method won't work if I'm running LEDs in both the headlights and markers? Is there any way around that without going the relay route? I really don't want to use relays... and I'd really like to keep my LEDs.

2009 Solstice GXP | Wicked with all the trimmings, including Solo exhaust, DDM Stage I brake kit, low flow catback, CAI, GM Stage II tune, DDMWorks brace package, Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires, and a from-scratch stereo install.

Sean + Molly Photographers
concART | Concert Photography
post #154 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 09:58 AM

I did this mod a few days ago using the relay method. I also changed the side markers to LED.

To see the difference, on the passenger side I just replaced the bulb, and on the driver side, I took apart the side marker and used an LED strip.

The video shows both.

post #155 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortimir View Post
The thread that never dies.

So I'm planning on doing this mod, but am I understanding correctly that the simple method won't work if I'm running LEDs in both the headlights and markers? Is there any way around that without going the relay route? I really don't want to use relays... and I'd really like to keep my LEDs.
Sorry, I missed this, so maybe a day late, dollar short

YES, you can use the "non-relay" method with LEDs. The trick is to get a small (1 amp is fine) full-wave bridge rectifier - which is just 4 diodes in a block. Solder the "+" leg to the positive side of the LEDs and the "-" leg to the negative side of the LEDs. Then use the other two "~" legs (doesn't matter which way) for the bulb base wires for the input voltage.

I did it this way for mine. Works great (and you don't need to worry about which way you insert the bulb holder piece into the socket ).

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #156 of 160 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:29 PM

modified my sidemarker lights (once again). Now have independent bulbs for turn signal and side marker in the side marker lamp. It allows full function of both turn signal and side marker. It is more expensive and time consuming than the relay method,but being retired and now in my man cave for the winter, it was a fun modification. Only wiring necessary was splicing the new turn signal bulb into the existing turn signal wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	92111   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	92113   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	92115  
TomatoSoup likes this.
post #157 of 160 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:40 PM

Nicely done.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #158 of 160 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 11:03 PM

RPM has 10% discount on all items, including their side-marker kit

https://www.rpm-motorsports.com/stor...ignal-kit.html
post #159 of 160 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 04:46 PM

I just looked at the link to rpm Motorsports and process seem to be at regular price. Is there a coupon code or??
post #160 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:50 PM

What sort of led strip did you use? How long does it have to be??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/how-convert-side-marker-lights-into-marker-turn-signals-48817/
Posted By For Type Date
Making the DBG 'Convert Side-Marker Lights into Turns' mod work with LEDs This thread Refback 05-15-2013 07:26 AM