"How To" Convert Side Marker Lights into Marker/Turn Signals - Page 4 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckSol View Post
All fine and good, but what happens to the other end of the black wire or did I miss something?

Pics and diagram?
The other end of the black wire gets taped off and hid in the harness. It is no longer used.

I did this mod yesterday. It was SOOOOO easy!

Linda Ann
North Beach, MD
07 Silver Graphite with red/black
plate "SKYGRRL"

Mods:
VectorSports ECM
Third brake light, sequential rear and sidemarker turn signals

DMV Solstice and Sky Meetup Group
IMSaturn
MySpace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepbluegxp View Post
A member of the sky forum had a GTO with simular wiring and blinked with out a relay. they use the GTO wiring guide and did the mod on the Sky and it works. I did it to my Solstice this weekend and it works great.

This is what you need to do.

Open the harness to the side marker, pull out the black wire up to the point of the harness where the fog lights split off. Cut the black wire close the split and (using the end that comes from the side marker)then apply a wire tap to the blue wire in the bundle going towards the fog lights.

I stripped back some insulation off the blue wire and soldered the black one to it. Then re-taped the harness for a nice clean look.
So am I to assume that there is no need for a relay just a simple wiring connection from the black wire to the blue does it? This is just way to easy not to do
post #48 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 AM

What a great mod!
post #49 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
All fine and good, but what happens to the other end of the black wire or did I miss something?

Pics and diagram?
See how easy this mod is!!!

2007 Solstice GXP - Deep - Orderd 26 Jan, 07; born 22 Feb, delivered 9 Mar. (mine)
2009 Solstice GXP Coupe - Wicked - 000406, Bought off the lot June 2, 2009. (wife's)

See my car on cardomain.com
DeepBlueGXP also on the Skyroadster and Kappa Performance Forum.
post #50 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Great Mod -

Sky Redline
Chili Pepper Red with Black Trim
5-SPD, 6-CD/MP3, XM, Polished Alloy, LSD, Spoiler
Deposit 06/10/06
Order # KGNMQ4
3800 02/09/07
Delivered 02/28/07!!!

Last edited by Skyman-CT; 09-22-2008 at 01:13 PM.
post #51 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Perhaps this mod in conjunction with swapping the side markers with LEDs will not add to the voltage draw.

2007 Solstice GXP - Deep - Orderd 26 Jan, 07; born 22 Feb, delivered 9 Mar. (mine)
2009 Solstice GXP Coupe - Wicked - 000406, Bought off the lot June 2, 2009. (wife's)

post #52 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Perhaps this mod in conjunction with swapping the side markers with LEDs will not add to the voltage draw.
Good idea Deepbluegxp, the current draw on LEDís are much lower for sure, however I went back over to Sky site and have been reading the post and looking at the GM schematic that was posted in the thread. Convert your side marker lights into turn signals - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forum
I'd be surprised if they would work with this mod as they don't respond to reverse current flow. (voltage polarity matters)

It looks like the (black) Marker lamp ground wire is being cut and tapped back to the low turn signal return (blue) so it doesn't change any supply current being pulled through the 10 amp fuse or any wires in the circuit under normal operation and after further investigation I'd say this is most likely a safe mod because that fuse would have blown if it was drawing too much current, that being said it's still a mod and if something goes wrong and they find it?

What it does do however is to cause the 12Volts to buck each other while the parking lamps are on which is why I believes it alternates because the current flow thought the bulb is actually reversed in that state, as was mentioned elsewhere it should work fine with any Park/Turn Signal incandescent bulbs but LEDís or HIDís most likely wonít work due to reverse current flow. (just a guess at this time?)

I removed my first caution so as not to confuse anyone.

Sky Redline
Deposit 06/10/06
Order # KGNMQ4
3800 02/09/07
Delivered 02/28/07!!!

Last edited by Skyman-CT; 09-22-2008 at 01:59 PM.
post #53 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman-CT View Post
Great Mod -
I also did this mod over the weekend, using 2 vampire taps to connect the black and blue wires, and electrical taping the whole thing back up. I know soldering is better, maybe i'll do that in the new future.

By the way, Great picture explaining the wiring! Wish I'd seen it last weekend
post #54 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 PM

Location: Roosting on the west central flyway in Colorado Springs
Send a message via AIM to duckSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2BGrrl View Post
The other end of the black wire gets taped off and hid in the harness. It is no longer used.

I did this mod yesterday. It was SOOOOO easy!
Now I feel like a DOOB! girlz

Quote:

Thanks for the diagram Deep, that WAS SIMPLE.
Have not done it yet and I have the relays DOH! so I might as well try LEDS and see what happens but with my schedule who knows when the next mod will be

2012 Summer Solstice in the Land of Sky

duckSol's Mods revised 12/21/2008

duckSols Mods revised 9-4-09

Transformer SLY

"Okolemaluna"
post #55 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 08:28 PM

Garage
Great catch. Got to me before I sprung for the relays.

Envious, NEW Lightsidetop, N/A, VIN # 1G2MB35B97Y114344
Oh yeah, Steel/Sand interior. Added K&N filter. Vent tube r/r @ 2850 mi. WindRestrictor added 12/12/06. Added high-tone horn. Painted engine cover. ECM retune 6/15/10. Added Vandesign B/U lite covers 12/07. Re-replaced seal due to recall 27570 mi. DDMProBeam added 7/2/08. Envious Emblem overlays. Kappasphere rear deck rack. DDM tunnel plate added 4/22/09. Solo Exhaust system, lit sills and HID conversion 5/1/10.
post #56 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Now I feel like a DOOB! girlz

Thanks for the diagram Deep, that WAS SIMPLE.
Have not done it yet and I have the relays DOH! so I might as well try LEDS and see what happens but with my schedule who knows when the next mod will be
I thought about the LEDs, they are diodes and the electrical current lights LEDs in only one direction so that won't work.

post #57 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I thought about the LEDs, they are diodes and the electrical current lights LEDs in only one direction so that won't work.
Deepbluegxp,

You know after reviewing the diagram again they might just work fine as the wire that's being cut and relocated is the side marker lamp ground not the turn signal / fog lamps so it shouldn't affect any current flow in those lamps. and actually the side markers with this setup are now just using the flasher return instead of a direct chassis ground. (this most likely adds an extra amp or two of current draw through that wire - I don't remember the side marker specs, but I would expect the wire can handle the increased load just fine?)

So my original statement about current flow is still correct however I think after further investigation the direction of current flow in the side markers remains the same and the only thing that happens is 12V is being applied to both sides of this lamp when parking lamps and the flasher's are on thus giving the alternating appearance.

If someone has already tried this mod and has LED turn signals installed post and let us know if it indeed works ok.

Sky Redline
Deposit 06/10/06
Order # KGNMQ4
3800 02/09/07
Delivered 02/28/07!!!

Last edited by Skyman-CT; 09-23-2008 at 08:52 AM.
post #58 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 AM

Garage
Just did this relayless mod...easy! Works like a charm.

Envious, NEW Lightsidetop, N/A, VIN # 1G2MB35B97Y114344
Oh yeah, Steel/Sand interior. Added K&N filter. Vent tube r/r @ 2850 mi. WindRestrictor added 12/12/06. Added high-tone horn. Painted engine cover. ECM retune 6/15/10. Added Vandesign B/U lite covers 12/07. Re-replaced seal due to recall 27570 mi. DDMProBeam added 7/2/08. Envious Emblem overlays. Kappasphere rear deck rack. DDM tunnel plate added 4/22/09. Solo Exhaust system, lit sills and HID conversion 5/1/10.
post #59 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Method 2 from the first post. The reason this simple mod works is that the fog and turn signal share a ground. When you cut the side marker wire and connect it to the blue wire, it essentially is like extinding the brown wire to the other lights to share the same ground as the fog and turn signals. No worries. Do this mod...

Last edited by Deepbluegxp; 09-23-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Now --> No
post #60 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:19 PM

which one of these is the simplest???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/how-convert-side-marker-lights-into-marker-turn-signals-48817/
Posted By For Type Date
Making the DBG 'Convert Side-Marker Lights into Turns' mod work with LEDs This thread Refback 05-15-2013 07:26 AM