How to install Head liner - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

How to install Head liner

Ok guys here is the install instruction for a Head Liner.
You will needed the following items.

1 rivet gun
Contact cement ( Dupont or Wellwood )
Latex gloves
Drill with various bits
Extra Rivets ( Compare what you have received with Liner. )
2 4-40 cap screws 3/4``
4 4-40 flat washers
2 4-40 lock nuts
Radio to listen to music
And a Bible to ask forgiveness for the bad words you will be using ( A little humor )

Step 1.

In this first step you will be laying out what you got with Headliner. When you open you package you will have one Headliner and a bag of rivets and screws.

Step 2.

Release your top as if you are going to store in your trunk. Fold it up about half way. You will see a metal strip going across the front of the top. There are about 9 screws holding it on. Remove the screws and set them aside. Note what I did with my screws is get a muffin pan and lay you screws in it.

Step 3.

This is the un easy part , peeling you top loose from the frame. If you look up under the lip you will see where the top is glued to the frame. Use a small flat head screwdriver to pull the lip down to grab it . Keep this up till you get the rubber seals. When you ge tto the seal you need to pull the seal forward towards the hood. Then pull to the right some and pull back towards the trunk ( if you are working on the left you will do same procedure except you pull to the left.). Once you do this you have access you the corner flap that is bonded to frame. Once again peel the corner to the point you can pull the corner forward and lift up from either corner. Pull the top back you will see 2 srews under the top remove these screws.

Step 4.

Fold the top back until you expose the front rear seal ( seal that goes across the top of driver or passanger windows). You will see either a metal or plastic tab being held down with a phillips screw. You need to remove these screws. Now remove the rubber seal. Now if you look you will see several screws holding the metal bracket that was holding the seal in place. Mark the screws on either side before removing. Now remove brackets on both sides. Once again use pan to hold you screws.

Step 5.

You will look at where you took the brackets off. Look under there locations you will see a screw the has a spring attached. Remove the screw and pull back spring and put the screw back in place for save keeping. If you look at the cable you just loosen you will see that it is still attached to the top by a small rivet. This is on of a couple that you will have to drill out. Drill out rivet on both sides. By doing this it will allow you to move to the next step.

Step 6.

Peel back top on the sides. This is done at the location of the first brackets you removed..

More to come

8" kicker sub with Pioneer Amp + Components
Saturn Sky Door panel Swap
DC Sports strut bar
Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Werks cooler
Werks HI Flow cat
Trifeca Tune
Sprint Booster Adjustable
DDMWorks Trunk & Hood Led Lights
DDMWorks Coated Valve Cover
DDMWorks Oil Catch Can
DDMWorks Coil Cover
DDMWorks Tubes
DDMWorks Inline fuel
K&N C.A.I.
Custom backup camera install
Kazera KZ-D Wheels
Falken 612+
Spoiler from The spoiler company
Plus to much else to list.

Last edited by shreve1; 05-12-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 PM

excellant, I will print that up, have been waiting for just such a post and I hope they give it a sticky
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Install part 2

Step 7.

Remove the second set of rubber seal from top frame. Now the rubber seal with be attached from the bottom with sticky goo. Just pull off slow. You now will expose I believe 3 screws that hold curved metal frame. Once again mark screw locations before removal. When you release bracket from frame you will notice that is is still attached to the cloth top itself. Just slide the frame of the top. Do this to both sides of the top.

Step 8.

You will now have the top pulled back enough to be laying in the trunk. Here is the hard part. If you look at the cross bar above the rear window you will see a plastic pipe going across the length of the bar. You will see that same thing on the liner. They want you to have access to the rivets that are on the back side. They are a real pain in the ass to get too. You will see the screws that hold the rod. Mark the rod location on the side so you can align the back. But do not remove screws yet. Lets go back to the front of the top in the next step.

Step 9.

Now lay your liner in place. You will see the locations on the screw will match up to the plastic on strip on liner. Install all the screws. You will need a Power screw drive of some sort to install these, But be careful not to strip out head of screw. Leave the last two screw on either side of front plastic strip out. I will explain why later.

Step 10.

If you look at liner you will see a piece of black cloth with 3 plastic clamps. These lock into the second rail from the rear.

Step 11.

This is the real pain in the ass part. Remove the rear bar that I told you about earlier. Once again make sure you mark the rod before removal. Now Gm want you to drill the rivets out on this bar and snap both plastic rods on and then rivet it all back together, ya right good luck. So what I did was snapped the plastic into place a drill 6 holes across the bar as close as I could to cloth for best hold. Now get the extra rivets I told you to purchase earlier. Use the larger one of the two.

Step 12.

If you look at the liner on the lower sides there are plastic curved flaps of the liner. There are three holes that will line up with three hold that you exposed when you removed the rear window bracket and seal. Make sure you take a little care that the flap and tight before riveting.

Step 13.

Move the top forward slow and look under top, Make sure the liner is tucked under so all you see is the liner on side and no lap over. Better way to explain. When you have you top down while driving down the road you could see you top liner. On the sides you can see the flap or excess top you could put your hand in. Make sure you liner is on the bottom of this. This will make sense if you have the other way, looks like crap. I found this out , lol.

Step 14

Ok reassembly time. Get the rails you removed on the rear frame and reinstall. Slide the guides on the top back on the reinstall rails on both sides. Just use the marks you made to line up. Install rubber seals.

More to come

DC Sports strut bar
Werks cooler
Werks HI Flow cat
Trifeca Tune
DDMWorks Oil Catch Can
DDMWorks Coil Cover
DDMWorks Tubes
DDMWorks Inline fuel
K&N C.A.I.
Kazera KZ-D Wheels
Falken 612+

Last edited by shreve1; 05-16-2010 at 08:43 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Part 3

Step 15.

Get two of the smaller rivets and rivet the cable back to the top.

Step 16.

Get ready to glue. If you remember you had to pull the corners of the top located in the front forward some to remove top. Slide these back on before you start to glue the sides flaps. Use contact cement on the top sides you removed earlier. Let contact cement get a little tacky before touching surfaces together. Now pull sides over top a press into place. Once both sides are done, you will remove screws you put in top the ones you did in step 5. Hook the spring back to the top.

Step 17.

Use cement on the front corner . Next reinstall the side upper frame rails you removed earlier. Use the marks you made to realign rails. Now here is a bitch part. If you remember that I told you not to install the last two screws on the upper front top of liner on step 9. Now you have to pull back the top in the front enough to expose these. Make sure when you install the screws that the fabric is on top of the plastic strip is pn the bottom.

Step 18.

Now you are ready to glue the front of the top back into place. Lift the top back some and use glue on top and frame, Put some glue on top of frame about one inch on top. Then the lip and then under the lip towards the back. Use cement on top as well. Now with some patience pull the top tight and fold over front of frame. Best result is to work from center out. Once this is done you need to put the front brace frame you removed in the beginning.

Step 19.

This is the final step of top install. There are two strap on the back of the liner toward the two flap. All be dammed if I could figure out where they went. So I had a friend with a sky. I went over and look at his top. And wall la I see where they go. I will not be able to describe where they go. So I will attached a pic to this last step this weekend so you will be able to see. Now Gm think most people are a genius when it comes to these tops. They want you to rivet theses straps to the frame. I think not, unless you want to pull apart the whole frame. Easy fix. Go to you local hobby shop or Lowes and get 2 4-40 cap screws about ¾ inch length along with 4 flat washers and 2 lock nuts. Works great.

Step 20.

Let everything sit over night and check everything out in the morning.

Have fun with you new lined top. This will take about 7 to 8 hours depending on you skills. It really is not that bad, just a little intimidating.
Good luck::::

John

DC Sports strut bar
Werks cooler
Werks HI Flow cat
Trifeca Tune
DDMWorks Oil Catch Can
DDMWorks Coil Cover
DDMWorks Tubes
DDMWorks Inline fuel
K&N C.A.I.
Kazera KZ-D Wheels
Falken 612+

Last edited by shreve1; 05-16-2010 at 08:53 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 05:41 AM

You should get some sort of an award! Maybe an Oscar, Emmy, or maybe even the Nobel Prize.
GEART JOB / GREAT THREAD!!!!

Fast Cat
Mods:GMPP Tune, Stainless Steel Exhaust, Stubby / Factory Options: Ebony Leather w/ Red Stitching, 6 Disc Monsoon, Sport Pedals, Chrome Wheels, Power Seat.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Just wanted to help other peeps out.

DC Sports strut bar
Werks cooler
Werks HI Flow cat
Trifeca Tune
DDMWorks Oil Catch Can
DDMWorks Coil Cover
DDMWorks Tubes
DDMWorks Inline fuel
K&N C.A.I.
Kazera KZ-D Wheels
Falken 612+
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreve1 View Post
Just wanted to help other peeps out.
helps me quite a bit, I have an old top witht the liner but it's got some issues, I was thinking of just swapping the whole top for the extra dampening but now with this tutorial I am just going to swap out the headliner
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

I made a few small wording changes to make it easier to understand on instructions. I will be posting the pics i was talking about on the last part sometime tomorrow. And a few pics on the install aswell. If you have any questions, just ask.
Check my link https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...install-63607/

DC Sports strut bar
Werks cooler
Werks HI Flow cat
Trifeca Tune
DDMWorks Oil Catch Can
DDMWorks Coil Cover
DDMWorks Tubes
DDMWorks Inline fuel
K&N C.A.I.
Kazera KZ-D Wheels
Falken 612+

Last edited by shreve1; 05-16-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode