How to remove the trunk release button? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 AM

You did much better than me. I could not get that damned button out no matter what I tried, so I broke it into several pieces and then it came out. The electrical cleaning did not seem to help, so I had to get a new button. Maybe I used the wrong cleaner?

06 SLY, LS3/480 V8, Tremec 6 speed, 3.23 positraction Getrag diff, custom stainless steel true dual exhaust system w/high flow cats, carbon fiber rear valance, red pc calipers, DDM Works Stage 1 brake upgrade, garage door opener, custom fuse box cover, Red anodized engine covers, DDM Works console, Lambo doors, clear bra, DDM Works red racing backbone, DDM Works red pro beam, twin horns, Opel GT radio antenna, upgraded tires, conv top cover, de-badged, chrome rings around A/C controls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 11:49 AM

Garage
Good work, and welcome to the forum. I can tell you are going to fit right in here..........

Envious, NEW Lightsidetop, N/A, VIN # 1G2MB35B97Y114344
Oh yeah, Steel/Sand interior. Added K&N filter. Vent tube r/r @ 2850 mi. WindRestrictor added 12/12/06. Added high-tone horn. Painted engine cover. ECM retune 6/15/10. Added Vandesign B/U lite covers 12/07. Re-replaced seal due to recall 27570 mi. DDMProBeam added 7/2/08. Envious Emblem overlays. Kappasphere rear deck rack. DDM tunnel plate added 4/22/09. Solo Exhaust system, lit sills and HID conversion 5/1/10.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 01:27 PM

Old tread but i wish i had found it earlier

Couldn't open my trunk today. neither the fob nor the glove compartment button worked. The door would open with the fob and the panic alarm would sound but the trunk would not open.

I searched the forum and google and found lots of articles about the buttresses being stuck. I made one of the tools recommended and got the buttresses to open but still no luck. I checked the fuses and the relays, no luck.

Finally I found this thread and was able to remove the button. I shorted the wires on the harness and the trunk popped open. It seems the batteries in my fob were weak and just had enough power for the door lucks but not enough power for the trunk release. I'm going to go and get new batteries in both fobs and find some of this electrical cleaning spray to clan out the button.

Also, this might be a good time to rig an emergency Trunk release for inside the cabin
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...id-pull-22456/

if you need the instruction for the buttress tool, its here (post 10)
https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...release-19635/

07 Deep GXP -

Foot Well lights, side marker turn signal, trunk spring, Antenna Delete, Retractable License plate, Clear Turn signals, Painted Calipers+decals

My solstice Site with HowTo Articles- http://www.cherod.com/solstice

Last edited by odiaz; 04-17-2016 at 01:29 PM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 03:21 PM

Rather than the fob battery being bad, it's likely that the trunk button contacts are dirty/bad in the fob. Open the fob up and try cleaning them first.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 04:59 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Rather than the fob battery being bad, it's likely that the trunk button contacts are dirty/bad in the fob. Open the fob up and try cleaning them first.
I agree, as long as some of the functions on the fob are working, it most likely is not the battery.

1st 1K - #741
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 02:55 PM

did the same thing with my fog light switch. Took it out, sprayed it full of electronic parts cleaner, and popped it back in. Been working perfectly for a year now.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:02 PM

I had similar problem. Got the button out with the help of pick. Confirmed the button was the issue by jumping the pins with a piece of wire. Grabbed some electronic components cleaner and hosed it down a couple times. Works again as it should. Thanks Roman Gnome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode