Instrument Cluster lights - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

Instrument Cluster lights

I have been having a problem with my instument cluster lights. I cannot turn them on with the light switch. The only way they come on is with the auto headlights. Never seen this happen before. Even when I turn the headlights on manualy, they do not come on.

Chuck
07 Solstice GXP (Left on 8-6-2007)
88 Fiero Formula

TEAM SOLSTICELESS 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Retired Free Range Sols

There's a sensor that turns them on and off - can't recall if it's that one up on the dash or not but someone will chime in.

06 NA...was 106k miles, do-over at 12k
06 NA...56k miles...Black today, black tomorrow?
01 Aztek GT...102k miles...Black and loaded. Best non-Solstice ever!

Team Solstice 2006 & 2006

Life is good with a pair of Sols in the garage.

Runs/Meets in '06:13 '07:13 '08:7 '09:9 '10:9 '11:6 '12:4 '13:3 '14:2 '15:3
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 03:53 PM

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieroChuck View Post
I have been having a problem with my instument cluster lights. I cannot turn them on with the light switch. The only way they come on is with the auto headlights. Never seen this happen before. Even when I turn the headlights on manualy, they do not come on.

This is a common design function of some recent GM new models. Dash lights do not work in parade mode (manual lights on-day time). If you want dash lights in the rain and the auto lights do not turn on, just cover the light sensor with something. That is how we check function in shop.

Here is the actual answer from Pontiac from the new model prep guide:

Quote:
Automatic Headlamp Control

The Solstice is equipped with an Automatic Lamp Control system which automatically turns the headlamps and other exterior lamps on at dusk or when necessary. The exterior lamps can also be operated manually. The I/P backlight is not integrated in the headlamp switch. The automatic lamp control system must determine if it's dark enough to turn I/P backlights on.

The Automatic Lamp Control system's light sensor is located on the top of the instrument panel. It is important to avoid placing any objects on or near the sensor, or covering up the sensor.

Important: In rainy weather, etc., the customer may comment that they manually turned on the headlamps; however, the I/P lights did not come one. It is important to note that the I/P backlight will only turn on when indicated by the Automatic Lamp Control's light sensor. This condition is not related to the headlamp switch function, BCM or I/P function. This is considered a normal condition and no parts should be replaced.

There is an available "software" update to change the operation if desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Service Bulletin (slightly edited by Small Dealer)

Subject: Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Backlighting Inoperative During Daylight Hours (Reprogram BCM)

Models: 2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx
2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
2006 Chevrolet HHR
2005-2006 Pontiac G6, Pursuit (Canada Only)
2006 Pontiac Solstice

Condition

Some customers may comment that the backlighting on the IPC does not illuminate in the daylight hours. They may further state that the backlighting does function at night, but not in the day time.

Cause

On these vehicles, backlighting for the IPC is not enabled unless the vehicle's lighting photocell determines that there is a nighttime ambient condition. Backlighting is not controlled through the use of the park lamp or headlamp switch. The conditions under which the photocell activates the backlighting may not satisfy each particular customer’s personal expectations, or the customer may simply prefer to have the backlighting always illuminated on the IPC.

Correction

For customers who wish to have the IPC backlighting always illuminated, a new service calibration is now available that will activate the backlighting to full intensity during daytime hours. Reprogram the BCM using SPS.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

INFORMATION POSTED ON SITE
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, it’s attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Founding Member

I wanted them on one day when it was raining. Makes no sense that they would not turn on unless it was dark enough. Think I will get the software update so I can turn them on. Thanks SD.

Chuck
07 Solstice GXP (Left on 8-6-2007)
88 Fiero Formula

TEAM SOLSTICELESS 2008
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 06:27 AM

If you get the modification, it sounds to me that the lights will be on all the time, full brightness during the day. That means to me that you will not be able to turn them off and that could lead to earlier failure of the bulbs, they will burn out on full brightness the quickest.

Sol owner, wannabe.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 09:53 AM

I posted once before about my display lights getting much brighter if I turned off the auto-headlight function. Many folks told me they tried it and it didn't work. I have had the software update to correct the radio pop so maybe now I have the different light setting also. Just thinking out loud here, try cycling off the auto-headlight feature and see what happens, my interiors are not on all the time if the mode is in auto. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Was a Pair-a-Sols!

06 Pure, 111230, delivered 2-14-06 Still going strong.
07 Pure, 113071, delivered 3-30-11 deceased 9-6-12
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:07 PM

This reply is ten years after the post but here is my workaround. When it's daylight and the instrument lights won't come on but I found that if I turn my fog lights on the instrument cluster backlights come on. I think it may be true for Redline models. All in all it's a rather odd design feature, even for GM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:56 PM

Why not just wire your dash lights to come on when you start the car??.Day or night??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode