Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Norm’s Fiberglass

8K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  Kappasky 
#1 ·
Let me preface this by saying I’m not trying to start a problem or say anything bad about a member of the forum.

Can any of you guys who live near Norms shop or have him working on something for you confirm everything is ok with Norm and his shop? I’ve tried to reach him the last week or more to check status of my side skirts but his number seems to be disconnected or something. I don’t think I’m blocked because I’ve tried from a couple numbers - plus Norm and I have had a great talking relationship. I’ve purchased from him in the past and loved his work.

I’m just a little worried maybe something is possibly wrong? I’ve been a member here since 2005 and don’t stir up problems so please understand I’m just reaching out to the folks I know might be able to let me know.

Thanks guys.

David (solactor)

Reactions: Saveaux
#2 ·
Norm is OK! Sometimes takes awhile to get order. Small shop. Everything I have ever purchased from Norm came in relatively quickly. I have heard of others taking time. Great quality, takes pride in his work. You will not be disappointed. When I was at his shop to purchase a hood and have it installed, he had one person, as far as I could tell, working for him at that time. I plan on ordering a set of fenders this winter.

#3 ·
You might have misunderstood. I have ordered from him before as well and I know it’s a small shop and his work is the best that is why I ordered from him again. But I’ve never not been able to reach him by phone or email for a couple weeks. So I was hoping someone who lives near him (I think a few guys do) or that have seen or talked to him in the last couple weeks could confirm all is ok with him.

#5 ·
Try him on facebook. Once his voicemail fills up it can be a challenge to get him on the phone. Email or texting has worked in the past

#7 ·
The message on the phone doesn’t say voicemail full it just beeps and never connects. It has been about 10 days or so. I don’t know how all carriers work but usually they say the voicemail is full.

Guys, I hope it is just that he’s busy and maybe a phone issue but I would feel a lot better if I knew. I know the folks here care about Norm and love his passion for our cars. Thanks for the suggestions .

#8 ·
I understand the concern...

And David is saying it is not the parts ordered but concern for Norm's well being. Is he OK? That's hard to find out sometimes in the age of eternal communications and it breaks down because you are one person alone. When we age and live alone, or work alone, our circle of friends may be many miles away and very few local who would miss our presence as they never see us anyway. If something happened perhaps the local PD or EMS would know, or perhaps not, until way too late.

For my thoughts, I'd think it might be a good thing if one of the group could go and check in with Norm. If he is OK then perhaps him knowing people care about him, as well as his products for our cars, might make a difference in his communications. I don't think any of us who know how a craftsman works expect a business or social reply immediately and from all I've read we know his time line is eternally in flux. This is about is he OK, not what's happening with my widget.

Just saying...

Richard Snipes

#12 · (Edited)
I found out I have a brother in law - in law (there are 14 so don’t know them all) that travels to Bremen about 30 mins away from Norms for work. IF he was to go to Mishawaka to the address will he see Norms Fiberglass? Is there signage and a shop or is it a smaller type place?

#15 · (Edited)
A long distance land line call to Norm's phone number "cannot be completed as dialed"

Cell call to the same number also has an intercept that indicates that the number dialed is "no longer in service."

Someone closer to Norm than me needs to stop by his shop and do a bit of poking around.

I'm a bit over 200 miles away from Norm's shop.

:dunno:

#16 ·
This is what I’m hoping someone can do. I got the same results trying to call.

#19 ·
I'd be very careful about randomly showing up at someone's office uninvited. Norm is a great guy (based on my limited personal experience with him), but having a random, unknown entity show up could be a bit off-putting.

#20 ·
Still hoping somebody will hear something and post it.

#21 ·
BWAHAHAHAHAHA - good luck!

He's had a pair of side skirts from my Mustang Bullitt for OVER SIX YEARS!! I just finished a $12k restoration/modification and we had to do a full repaint with no side skirts.

I used to at least be able to call and get him to tell me "I'm getting someone on those right away" every 2 months. I begged him to work on them (because he said "yes" to the job) - to the point where I committed to 10 sets. Now I'm pretty sure he's had my number blocked. Yeah - he's a SUPER great guy.

I gave up ever seeing the new units long ago - now I just want my parts back. I should just ****ing sue him - those things are like hens teeth now and easily qualify as felony theft.

If I were you I'd drive the 200 miles if he's got your money. And if you do - ask him if Vanco is ever going to see his ****ing side-skirts again. :lurk:

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/norm-s-fiberglass-91113/index3.html#post1298153

For me - there is a HIGH degree of irony to all the statements that he's a great guy and an upstanding businessman. Because he's neither.

#25 · (Edited)
An update - I took some advice and called his fav restaurant and the girl who answered said she saw him there a couple days before so evidently he is ok.

As far as orders go — My first order from Norm was the recessed grills. He told me it would take about 2-3 weeks and he delivered in 3 weeks - painted. I hadn’t read much about some of the long delays or I may have hesitated. The main problem I see at this point is that his phone number seems to be off line or not in service - not just a full voicemail. No returned emails or Facebook either. I was able to check with him on my first order and had talked to him about every six weeks on this order since he told me six weeks to do the work.

As I stated when I began this thread I was thinking something had happened to him or his business. He should tell people up front that it may take many months or longer and let them decide. But now I have no way to contact someone I paid good money to. I hope Norm will check in here at some point and see this thread.

Reactions: Cmccomb1
#27 ·
I know the concern is his current situation, but here is a quote from an email July 5:

"At this time I'm buried on doing anything custom. let me know, thanks again from Norm"

I think he is just too swamped for this social stuff.

#28 ·
The problem now for me is - having a phone number for your paying customers to reach you isn’t social ... it’s business.

#31 ·
Not sure where you guys are, but go see him. He’s never been good at responding. Not fair business practice, but that’s the way it is. You can choose to put up with a potential wait and stress and eventually get an amazing part. Or you can avoid the whole situation and just not buy stuff from him.

One thing you will realize if you ever meet him, is that Norm is a really nice guy. This doesn’t make it okay to not communicate. But waiting is part of the process.

#32 · (Edited)
One thing you will realize if you ever meet him, is that Norm is a really nice guy. This doesn’t make it okay to not communicate. But waiting is part of the process.
Has he moved to a new location? Don't know. If he has, he needs to update his web site.

What has happened to his phone? If you try to call him on a land line, you get a message that the call cannot be completed as dialed. If you try to call him from a cell phone, you get a different message that indicates that his phone "is no longer in service".

Some of us are just concerned for his well being. I like Norm, but I would never order anything from him because his business practices are so bad.

Anyway, It's good to know that he has been seen, in person, recently.

Thank you.

#33 ·
I was driving across Indiana on I90 so I took the detour to Norm’s shop. Unfortunately it was late and no one was here. His name is still on the door, his trailer is there and one Solstice is sitting outside under a tarp.
Rumor at Tradewinds is he went to WI but is back. Was there a Kappa event in the Dells? Did anyone see Norm there? Another rumor is he has a new shop in South Bend.
Sorry, no real information.

#34 ·
I just got off the phone with Dave at PAW. He told me that Norm has or is in the process of moving his shop to his home town of Elkhart, IN.. At least we know he is definitely ok and still in business! Dave said once Norm has completely made the move he will set up his phone and internet connection. Hopefully he will update his website with the new contact information! Good news for all of us!! So we need to keep the faith and wait for his new shop to open and new contact info to be updated!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.