OEM Replacement boot - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

OEM Replacement boot

I’m planning on doing the DDM shift knob adapter and new knob. I’ve read all the threads about using the original boot if you are careful and can get it apart. But while I was searching I came across this:

Shift Boot - GM (15952472) on several GM parts sites.

Is that the actual part and if so will it include the “channel” on the top where the zip tie went through to hold it in place? Or does it have another method to keep it together on top?

I may have how it works all wrong so that’s why I’m asking my better informed friends. My original boot and shifter are in excellent shape so I thought I’d keep them that way if possible so they could be put back on to make it stock or sold.

I also know DDM sells a boot but it’s about $80 more than the one I listed above.

VIN# 4257 Deep - Conv. pkg-Power pkg - ABS - LSD - floormats Mods: Kappashield - Chrome door locks - caliper decals - visor sticker covers - Kappa alum pedals - Vector ECM reflash - AEM Cold Air Intake - Flowmaster 40 exhaust - chrome fender vents - aluminum door sills - RK sport rear wing (best appearance mod yet) Normís Recessed Grills- awesome!coming soon -Normís GXP side skirts

Last edited by solactor; 07-12-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:05 PM

That part (#12) looks more like a seal boot than the trim boot that you need. The trim boot is part of the shifter (#10).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	98233  

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
That part (#12) looks more like a seal boot than the trim boot that you need. The trim boot is part of the shifter (#10).
Yes in the picture it definitely doesn’t look like the boot we have but it does look like a “generic” picture of a boot you may see in cars.

That’s why I wasn’t sure if it is what I’m calling the leather boot around or shifter.

VIN# 4257 Deep - Conv. pkg-Power pkg - ABS - LSD - floormats Mods: Kappashield - Chrome door locks - caliper decals - visor sticker covers - Kappa alum pedals - Vector ECM reflash - AEM Cold Air Intake - Flowmaster 40 exhaust - chrome fender vents - aluminum door sills - RK sport rear wing (best appearance mod yet) Normís Recessed Grills- awesome!coming soon -Normís GXP side skirts
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Actually I see now that part #10 is the whole shifter including the ring on bottom. But it says “manual trans without leather” . But if that’s right then GM doesn’t sell the leather boot at all? I’ve been reading so many threads here and kappa perf that my mind is spinning.

Last edited by solactor; 07-12-2019 at 06:47 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solactor View Post
But it says “manual trans without leather” . But if that’s right then GM doesn’t sell the leather boot at all?
The boot is NOT leather anyway - its vinyl/naugahide. When they say "without leather" they probably mean leather seats. However, though I don't think the shift boot differed between the leather and the cloth seat cars.

The boot is heat-welded or glued to the shifter. It's one part. They couldn't sell either separately.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 07-12-2019 at 07:17 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

I thought I saw in a thread about putting in a ddm or jpm shifter that the boot was sort of tied on at the knob with a zip tie that went through a channel on the inside of the boot? Is there glue as well?

Last edited by solactor; 07-12-2019 at 08:37 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
I thought I saw in a thread about putting in a ddm or jpm shifter that the boot was sort of tied on at the knob with a zip tie that went through a channel on the inside of the boot? Is there glue as well?
The DDM boot may well be attached with a zip tie. As TS stated, the OEM boot (on the Sky at least, I need to be more careful about assuming similarities between the cars) is permanently attached to the shifter.

John
Lexington, KY
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
the OEM boot (on the Sky at least, I need to be more careful about assuming similarities between the cars) is permanently attached to the shifter.
Solstice too!

I remember when JDM were doing their shifter replacement (real leather boot, turned rod and knob), they had to buy a number of GM shifter assemblies, just to pull out the inner black plastic ring that fits in the base of the boot. Then they sold off the remaining parts (GM boot/rod/knob) as spares. That was long ago though.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The DDM boot may well be attached with a zip tie. As TS stated, the OEM boot (on the Sky at least, I need to be more careful about assuming similarities between the cars) is permanently attached to the shifter.
I was actually talking about the OEM boot (Solstice version). I’m going by the info and pics in this thread:

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...ut-ddm-131945/

The OP shows pics and the 4th one down shows the shifter when he took it out and also the “zip tie”. If you look close at the top of the leather you can see the head of the tie.

Last edited by solactor; 07-13-2019 at 06:58 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I was actually talking about the OEM boot (Solstice version). Iím going by the info and pics in this thread:

The OP shows pics and the 4th one down shows the shifter when he took it out and also the ďzip tieĒ. If you look close at the top of the leather you can see the head of the tie.
A zip tie may have been used for assembly, but in the end it doesn't matter. You will notice that the neck of the boot is a tight fit around the shifter shaft. You may also notice the outline of a counterweight under the boot that is larger than that neck. It is also obvious that the shift knob is larger than the neck. What is not obvious is that both the counterweight and the shift knob are permanent parts of the shifter assembly, so the boot cannot be removed without cutting it, and a new one could not be installed without some way to re-make the neck.

If the knob or the counterweight were removable it would be a different story, but since they aren't, there is no straightforward way to retrofit an OEM boot, which is why the OEM boot is not available as a separate component.

John
Lexington, KY
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I was actually talking about the OEM boot (Solstice version). Iím going by the info and pics in this thread:

The OP shows pics and the 4th one down shows the shifter when he took it out and also the ďzip tieĒ. If you look close at the top of the leather you can see the head of the tie.
No, no, no. The SECOND pic shows the OEM boot and shifter with the boot glued to the rod assembly. The later pics are after he has removed the boot from the OEM rod and REPLACED it with the DDM aftermarket rod. THAT'S when he needed the zip tie.

Just take our statements as gospel, OK?

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
No, no, no. The SECOND pic shows the OEM boot and shifter with the boot glued to the rod assembly. The later pics are after he has removed the boot from the OEM rod and REPLACED it with the DDM aftermarket rod. THAT'S when he needed the zip tie.

Just take our statements as gospel, OK?
Maybe I’m reading it wrong but this is what he says in the text in the first post:

“Note in the picture of just the stock shift knob, (picture four), there is a zip-tie that holds the boot up. Cut it, and use some lubricant (I used water mixed with alcohol), to wet the lever and gently slide /work the boot off the stock lever once you have cut the zip tie. If you are careful, you can save the sleeve for the zip-tie and just slide another one into the boot; that's what I did”

It looks like he had to cut the original knob to get to the zip tie. I don’t think he would’ve cut a chunk like that out of his new hurst knob.

Last edited by solactor; 07-13-2019 at 08:16 AM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Regardless - I started the thread to ask if that part was the OEM boot and I’ve learned it definitely is not - plus a lot more. Thanks.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:36 AM

I'm going to have to look at one of my spare (Sky) shifter assemblies. It does appear from the description that the boot will stretch enough to slide over the counterweight. This could be valuable information, since I have always understood that the boot will not come off unless you break the shift knob off of the shaft.

The RL's knob is loose, and I have been wondering about the best way to repair or replace it.

John
Lexington, KY
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like it will come off his way if done carefully but it looks like he did have to crack a piece out of the knob to get to it. So the boot could be saved and used again but the knob will probably be broken. I have some decisions to make if I want a new shifter knob.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode