OEM Replacement boot - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I'm going to have to look at one of my spare (Sky) shifter assemblies. It does appear from the description that the boot will stretch enough to slide over the counterweight. This could be valuable information, since I have always understood that the boot will not come off unless you break the shift knob off of the shaft.

The RL's knob is loose, and I have been wondering about the best way to repair or replace it.
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!

Err, the Sky Knob & boot assembly may well be different from the Solstice one

See pics here: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...ck-boot-37462/

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:51 AM

Location: at the snow white beaches of north west florida...or in the shop, but never on the couch. possibly playing pool.or eating
I think if you want a spicific oe boot for a restore finding a oe would be a bitch but for just wanting a spiscific looking boot to match whatever there are lots of boots out there, leather,p~leather,no go hide included ..and stitched in many different colors and sizes. some with knobs some without.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!

Err, the Sky Knob & boot assembly may well be different from the Solstice one

See pics here: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...ck-boot-37462/
It does look like they are quite different. Looking at those pictures makes me wonder which part of mine is broken.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
I think if you want a spicific oe boot for a restore finding a oe would be a bitch but for just wanting a spiscific looking boot to match whatever there are lots of boots out there, leather,p~leather,no go hide included ..and stitched in many different colors and sizes. some with knobs some without.
Iím sure it could be done with a universal boot but how much work would it take to make it fit the plastic/chrome ring on the bottom?

EDIT: I found a used one I like soo I think Iíll try it and Iíll report back - if anyone cares to know

VIN# 4257 Deep - Conv. pkg-Power pkg - ABS - LSD - floormats Mods: Kappashield - Chrome door locks - caliper decals - visor sticker covers - Kappa alum pedals - Vector ECM reflash - AEM Cold Air Intake - Flowmaster 40 exhaust - chrome fender vents - aluminum door sills - RK sport rear wing (best appearance mod yet) Normís Recessed Grills- awesome!coming soon -Normís GXP side skirts

Last edited by solactor; 07-15-2019 at 03:33 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solactor View Post
I’m sure it could be done with a universal boot but how much work would it take to make it fit the plastic/chrome ring on the bottom?
Not a lot, actually. The bottom of the factory boot has a black inner ring that the boot stretches over (see my JPM story, above). Then that clips into the chrome outer ring so the pleather is sandwiched between the two. So you'd just pull the aftermarket conical boot down over the black ring until the diameters match and it is tight, and then trim off the excess below.

I made my own boot, but didn't want to destroy my original. So I just cut a ring of 1/2" beech ply, the same diameter as the original black ring, then put a couple of small screws though existing holes in the chrome ring to hold it in place.

UPDATE: Pics and instructions from JPM's old product install, here: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...install-54528/

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 07-15-2019 at 03:44 PM.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Not a lot, actually. The bottom of the factory boot has a black inner ring that the boot stretches over (see my JPM story, above). Then that clips into the chrome outer ring so the pleather is sandwiched between the two. So you'd just pull the aftermarket conical boot down over the black ring until the diameters match and it is tight, and then trim off the excess below.
Thanks TS. Found a suede boot I like that matches my interior and new knob so Iíll give it a shot.

VIN# 4257 Deep - Conv. pkg-Power pkg - ABS - LSD - floormats Mods: Kappashield - Chrome door locks - caliper decals - visor sticker covers - Kappa alum pedals - Vector ECM reflash - AEM Cold Air Intake - Flowmaster 40 exhaust - chrome fender vents - aluminum door sills - RK sport rear wing (best appearance mod yet) Normís Recessed Grills- awesome!coming soon -Normís GXP side skirts
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solactor View Post
Thanks TS. Found a suede boot I like that matches my interior and new knob so Iíll give it a shot.
Please do post info about the boot you found. The one I made has faded (I guess the suede material I used was poor) and I need to replace.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Instead of starting another thread, I figured Iíd just post this here. I decided against trying to use the original boot so I could keep it all intact with the shifter in case I want to put it back to stock for some reason. I got a pleather/vinyl boot (sorry Tomatosoup not suede) and cut it the same length as the original and put it on with the ddm works
adapter and a new knob. Iíd like to cut the boot shorter so there is less to bunch up but any shorter and it wouldnít fit the plastic/chrome ring. It would have to be a custom made boot that gets wide really quick.

Anyway, Iím happy with the results and thatís what matters right?
*** not sure why the pic turned sideways
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B470A6EA-0C90-4518-A3A5-4E971C20D253.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	98503  
TomatoSoup and Knote like this.

Last edited by solactor; 07-24-2019 at 10:04 PM.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:39 AM

Looks good!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode